Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
Henry Cejudo won an Olympic Gold Medal in wrestling, but he's not on Ben's Top 5 list and that's all that matters.
Olympic wrestling and MMA wrestling are different. Cejudo got out-wrestled by Mighty Mouse in their first fight (short as it was).

Dunno why that's hard to grasp

Olympic wrestling and MMA wrestling are different. Cejudo got out-wrestled by Mighty Mouse in their first fight (short as it was).

Dunno why that's hard to grasp
Yeah there's no way that MM is anything but top-5 in MMA Wrestling.

Khabib beat MJ, Barboza, RDA before his streak, Al Iaquinta and Conor McGregor who got beat in worse fashion and finished by mediocre Nate Diaz.

That's it. I don't think he has the credentials to be topping any list of top grapplers/wrestlers.

He's pretty much like Pettis at this point who was always injured and inactive after he won the title. He was #1-2 on all these top striker lists until he actually started fighting and losing. Khabib's reputation has come over years of inactivity.

Last edited:
Pretty solid list when it comes to the application of wrestling in MMA.

1- Khabib
2- GSP
3- Cormier
4- Frankie Edgar
5- Matt Hughes

There have been obviously better credentialed wrestlers, my list
1a.GSP - takes everyone down
1b.Jones - takes everyone down
2.Weidman - takes everyone down
3.Edgar - takes everyone down minus aldo who has the best TDD ever
4.Cormier - takes everyone down
5.Cruz - takes everyone down
6.Hughes - takes everyone down minus BJ who HAD the best TDD

Dan Severn is an OG of wrestling domination, a list without his name is not a list I consider worthy of my attention.

hes a great wrestler but hes not like the guys on the list. hes not khabib/gsp/hughes type of fighter. hes content on staying standing and shooting an occasional TD every now and then.

Did you miss the first half of his UFC career?

That's a great list, I'd probably switch it up a little.
1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Jones
4. DC
5. Hughes

Khabib has really only fought one elite wrestler in the UFC, yes he fought guys that have wrestling but only Tibau could be considered elite.

Who is the best wrestler Khabib has fought? He might be among the great wrestlers, but he's only faced lower tier wrestlers a few times, including getting taken down multiple times by Trulio... who was a third tier college wrestlers. Gritty controversial decision with Tibau.
He fought Eldarov b4 UFC.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...-13-khabib´s-eastern-european-career.3830345/

Eldarov is in Bahrein now, still works with Khabib´s father. He was an olympic-level wrassler, now he´s competin´in MMA in Brave Combat, and he´s also a national wrasslin´coach too.

Khabib beat MJ, Barboza, RDA before his streak, Al Iaquinta and Conor McGregor who got beat in worse fashion and finished by mediocre Nate Diaz.

That's it. I don't think he has the credentials to be topping any list of top grapplers/wrestlers.

He's pretty much like Pettis at this point who was always injured and inactive after he won the title. He was #1-2 on all these top striker lists until he actually started fighting and losing. Khabib's reputation has come over years of inactivity.
What do you mean RDA before his streak? RDA literally dominated and won 5 fights in a row after the Khabib fight and 5 fights in a row before the Khabib fight, winning the title less than a year after losing to Khabib. It's crazy that this myth is still going on. That was prime RDA.

So in this thread, mostly posts of “Askren is such an idiot because I think he left one guy out that I like!!” :mad:

LMAO @ not having Jon Jones on his list.

He’s not really offensive with his wrestling anymore. Not really defensive either as he keeps EVERYONE at his safe working distance. His throws and trips were a thing of beauty but he fights almost completely different than the killer that slashed through the rankings years ago.

NdbQXHU.png

Ben has always put hespect on the GOATs name. Fuckin little shit stirring UFC intern that runs their twitter. GTFO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back