Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
Couture needs to be in there
I’d painfully exchange him for Frankie

1 should be switched with 2 for sure.
GSP got armbarred by Hughes and taken down a few times in his career. To be fair GSP fought way better wrestlers then Khabib but Khabibs grappling has seemed better. Very different TD styles though, GSP is much more explosive when Khabib either drags guys down from low singles or uses his great cage takedowns.

GSP is more impressive when you weigh in that he had no formal wrestling experience and became a top 5 wrestler. I’d put Cormier above him imo though. Besides roided Jon (which he took down in the 5th round) DC has outgrappled much larger guys including world class grapplers.

16 is too many names and most of them are olympic or NCAA level elite wrestlers/grapplers.
I'd cede replacing Sherk with GSP in that list, but how no one has mentioned Mark Schultz is a far more egregious omission than GSP.
Well no it isn't because who has he beat in MMA that was a great wrestler?

GSP is better than everyone on your list...... lol

cejudo?

jones?

usman?

yoel?

prime koscheck?

etc etc, theres a bunch of guys who should be there instead of edgar tbh. not really gonna argue it though, cause it's just askren's personal list so it's whatever.

I feel like a lot of guys should be on this list instead of the guys on this list...

Where are the old school guys like Coleman, Handy, Erickson, Kerr and Randleman?

cejudo?

jones?

usman?

yoel?

prime koscheck?

etc etc, theres a bunch of guys who should be there instead of edgar tbh. not really gonna argue it though, cause it's just askren's personal list so it's whatever.

Frankie has done more with his wrestling in MMA than all of those guys except Jones, and Jones is a cheater. Actually, other than Bader and DC, Jones hasn't even had some wrestling competition at lhw.

1- Khabib
2- GSP
3- Cormier
4- Frankie Edgar
5- Matt Hughes

I like his list, but I think it is a travesty to put DC below GSP.
Yes, GSP had amazing takedowns, but DC is an olympian who also have great TD's but also have the better wrestling pedigree (when he is on top of you).
As for Frankie.... I dunno. I think there were others who could go above him.
My top 4 though would be Khabib, DC then GSP & Hughes (could make a case of Hughes above GSP - IN WRESTLING! GSP was better standing & Hughes had better ground game).
Overall, not a bad pick.

Frankie has done more with his wrestling in MMA than all of those guys except Jones, and Jones is a cheater. Actually, other than Bader and DC, Jones hasn't even had some wrestling competition at lhw.
wouldn't put frankie over any of those guys i listed personally, but i'm not gonna argue, it's all opinions.

Gsp is number one, Khabib hasn’t fought the credentialed wrestlers GSP has. And jones belongs here

Shocked that Jones isn't on this list. Covington should be considered, too.

Have Edgar but not Jones
What the fuck is this
Edgar is barely top 10 if that at all.

Fix the title of this thread. That's not what Ben said the list is about.

He took him down twice.

Shout out to @MaveDeltzer :
Mendes got 2 on Aldo as well so saying only Edgar got 2 takedowns on Aldo is wrong.
Hendricks outwrestled GSP?

GSP took Hendricks down 3 times, Hendricks took GSP down twice. GSP had the only pass of the fight.
Yes Hendricks outwrestled him.
Don't know was it you here who talked about wrestling not just being takedowns so correct me if i mistaken you for someone else,but Hendricks also got 3 too,one wasn't counted but it clearly was a trip in 4th round and he dominated GSP in the clinch winch is wrestling obviously as well.

Back