Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
he doesnt use it as much as those guys. yoel romero is a silver medalist and hes mostly a boxer now whats your point exactly?
My point is that an Olympic Gold Medalist in wrestling should be on anyone's list of the Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history.

My point is that an Olympic Gold Medalist in wrestling should be on anyone's list of the Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history.
no he should not. you can be wrestler who does not use it at all in your MMA. or doesnt use it as much as some of these guys. as i said yoel romero isnt a better mma wrestler than any of those guys. he doesnt even have the cardio to sustain a wrestling heavy style. it doesnt make you a top MMA wrestler. same with strikers who were successful before MMA Ghokan Saki got koed by Rountree. he has more better credentials than any striker in ufc. James Toney etc. your point is flawed and if you cant see that then youre dumb. this is my last reply to you.

Not if he doesn't use it in MMA, or his wrestling does not translate to MMA context, which is what Ben is using here.

no he should not. you can be wrestler who does not use it at all in your MMA. or doesnt use it as much as some of these guys. as i said yoel romero isnt a better mma wrestler than any of those guys. he doesnt even have the cardio to sustain a wrestling heavy style. it doesnt make you a top MMA wrestler. same with strikers who were successful before MMA Ghokan Saki got koed by Rountree. he has more better credentials than any striker in ufc. James Toney etc. your point is flawed and if you cant see that then youre dumb. this is my last reply to you.
Your last reply to me? Great! That means I get the last word. You are a complete and total idiot.

Rarely? He mixes striking with wrestling masterfully. It's how he decisively finished Gustaffson in their 2nd fight.

But jones doesn't spam takedowns like mostly wrestling based fighters do. How many times did Usman take Woodley down?

Jones took Gus down once in their second fight. He took smith down what twice in the entire fight?

He has great wrestling but it seems like he uses it whenever the hell he feels like it. And of course most fighters don't want to try and take him down.

1) GSP
2) Jon Jones
3) Cormier
The rest

LOL @ not having Jones ranked. Khabib and Askren have not proven their wrestling against other elite MMA wrestlers so they don't warrant spots on this list IMHO.

Brock
Bobby Lashley
Dave Batista
Jack Swagger
Shinsuke Nakamura

<Goldie11>

Edgar over Jones? Come on Benjamin. Stop being silly.
1. GSP
2. Jones
3. Khabib
4. DC
5. Couture.

I think if you were to statistically consider the number of attempted and successful takedowns across a UFC career, Edgar has a lot more than Jones.

And he fought in weight classes that were heavy with wrestlers.

Not if he doesn't use it in MMA, or his wrestling does not translate to MMA context, which is what Ben is using here.
I was going by the title of this thread, which is "Top 5 Wrestlers in UFC History". There are no provisos in that title about how often the fighter uses their wrestling in MMA, nor does the title imply that Ben means MMA-style wrestling. The title clearly reads "Top 5 Wrestlers in UFC History". I was just going by the title, which maybe was wrong of me. Thanks anyway for responding respectfully.

wrestling isnt only takedowns. takedowns and and preventing ppl from getting back up.
Right that's why I'm partial to GSP pretty easily being the greatest wrestler in UFC ever.

1) GSP
2) Jon Jones
3) Cormier
The rest

Khabib and Askren have not proven their wrestling against other elite MMA wrestlers so they don't warrant spots on this list IMHO.
jones should never be above khabib or askren in terms of mma wrestling no matter how proven against top wrestlers he is. 3 out of 8 takedowns vs smith and showed no ability of keeping him down. 2 out of 10 vs Gus 2. hows his wrestling better? he barely takes ppl down and when he does they usually get back up fairly quickly. watch more full fights and less high lights. half the time the finishes he gets on the ground are after an opponent is elbowed or kicked and concussed.

Back