Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
I was going by the title of this thread, which is "Top 5 Wrestlers in UFC History". There are no provisos in that title about how often the fighter uses their wrestling in MMA, nor does the title imply that Ben means MMA-style wrestling. The title clearly reads "Top 5 Wrestlers in UFC History". I was just going by the title, which maybe was wrong of me. Thanks anyway for responding respectfully.
just quiet bro. you know youre wrong and now youre playing on technicalities? LOL. damn youre pathetic and too desperate.

hahahahaha
add
Nathan Jones
Bart Gunn
Alberto De Rio
CM Punk

Top 5 brother man.

MMA in wrestling goes
Josh Barnett
Dan Severn
Ken Shamrock
RR
Bas Rutten

I think if you were to statistically consider the number of attempted and successful takedowns across a UFC career, Edgar has a lot more than Jones.

And he fought in weight classes that were heavy with wrestlers.
Jones out-wrestled DC, tossed Hamill on his head like he was a child and ragdolled Bader.

Not really gonna argue. I like Frankie. Just think Jones is clearly the better mma wrestler.

Jones is just too dominant "almost everywhere "and people dont like him for a plethora of reasons. When I think of Jones I admit his wrestling isn't what stands out (it could) it's rather his fight i.q and how well he mixes everything else up and roids. You could make the arguement he stuffed DC 20 times and at the end we all wanted to give Cormier a special achievement award when he finally got one in there. That was almost sad imo and how satisfied a lot of people wanted to see DC get one like unlimited swings at a t-ball game where the parents wait to clap once it slowly rolls to the pitcher. The expectation that people were wanting thinking Daniel was going to dump him on his head all night was dashed to pieces. People seem to personally hate Bones so it's no suprise people keep him off of their personal lists. I understand not thinking about him when it comes to great wrestling though. He's quite the enigma. Just imagine if he could box? For heavens sake..

Jones out-wrestled DC, tossed Hamill on his head like he was a child and ragdolled Bader.

Not really gonna argue. I like Frankie. Just think Jones is clearly the better mma wrestler.

I'm not saying Frankie is a better wrestler than Jones, only how much they actually utilize it in fights. Frankie spams takedowns, its part and parcel of his offense. Jones will spend 3 rounds outstriking someone and then dump them on their head.

Edgar over Jones? Come on Benjamin. Stop being silly.
1. GSP
2. Jones
3. Khabib
4. DC
5. Couture.

Yep, that sounds about right. GSP and Jones have to be the top two. Both have easily outwrestled elite wrestlers/grapplers. Kebab is excellent, but less proven, and is more memorable for his top control and GnP.

The idea of Edgar over Jones is hilarious, or of course, DC over Jones, who got clearly outwrestled Vs Jones.

Jon Jones is only behind Jose Aldo when it comes to TDD in the UFC. That counts for something when we're judging MMA wrestlers.

Jones is just too dominant "almost everywhere "and people dont like him for a plethora of reasons. When I think of Jones I admit his wrestling isn't what stands out (it could) it's rather his fight i.q and how well he mixes everything else up and roids. You could make the arguement he stuffed DC 20 times and at the end we all wanted to give Cormier a special achievement award when he finally got one in there. That was almost sad imo and how satisfied a lot of people wanted to see DC get one like unlimited swings at a t-ball game where the parents wait to clap once it slowly rolls to the pitcher. The expectation that people were wanting thinking Daniel was going to dump him on his head all night was dashed to pieces. People seem to personally hate Bones so it's no suprise people keep him off of their personal lists. I understand not thinking about him when it comes to great wrestling though. He's quite the enigma. Just imagine if he could box? For heavens sake..
Aldo out wrestled many wrestlers doesnt make him a better mma wrestler than them.

its not ppl wanting to give DC special make up award. Jones isnt as dominant on the ground as DC. he beat DC. but he cant do to other guys what DC does to them in regards of wrestling and ability to keep ppl down. Imagine DC vs someone like anthony smith. its a takedown or 2 and Smith is getting choked. Jones is more of a complete fighter but DCs ability not only in takedowns but keeping ppl down is higher than jones. watch every fight of DC in LHW. game plan is pretty straightforward, punch a bit takedown gas them out and choke them. Jones is mainly a striker who out wrestled a good wrestler.

I'm not saying Frankie is a better wrestler than Jones, only how much they actually utilize it in fights. Frankie spams takedowns, its part and parcel of his offense. Jones will spend 3 rounds outstriking someone and then dump them on their head.

I don't think how much you use something is really relevant at all in a "best" list. I mean, if in theory someone spams takedowns non stop and gets 90% of them stuffed, would you say he is a better wrestler than Jones or GSP? Of course not.

Black Beast uses boxing and wins fights with boxing almost exclusively, doesn't make him a better boxer than Stipe, or JDS, or DC obviously.

Yep, that sounds about right. GSP and Jones have to be the top two. Both have easily outwrestled elite wrestlers/grapplers. Kebab is excellent, but less proven, and is more memorable for his top control and GnP.

The idea of Edgar over Jones is hilarious, or of course, DC over Jones, who got clearly outwrestled Vs Jones.

Khabib has really only fought one elite wrestler in the UFC, yes he fought guys that have wrestling but only Tibau could be considered elite.

next we will have aldo up there. jones should never be on a list like this one. unless we going top 10-15

Khabib has really only fought one elite wrestler in the UFC, yes he fought guys that have wrestling but only Tibau could be considered elite.

Exactly, which is why it's a bit silly to have him at the #1 spot over GSP and Jones, who are far more proven against elite opposition.

I don't think how much you use something is really relevant at all in a "best" list. I mean, if in theory someone spams takedowns non stop and gets 90% of them stuffed, would you say he is a better wrestler than Jones or GSP? Of course not.

Black Beast uses boxing and wins fights with boxing almost exclusively, doesn't make him a better boxer than Stipe, or JDS, or DC obviously.
theyre not just spamming takedowns and getting 90% stuffed. theyre dominating ppl with pure wrestling. jones is a striker like aldo. yeah he outwrestled a good wrestler while pulsing turinabol bravo. tibau outwrestled khabib and was pulsing so?

Except Edgar's success rate for takedowns is higher than Jones. And Edgar fought in LW a weight class full of wrestlers. LHW has had some solid wrestlers that Jones easily handled but LW is full of them.

Exactly, which is why it's a bit silly to have him at the #1 spot over GSP and Jones, who are far more proven against elite opposition.
bro aldo is as good of a wrestler as jones is. jones landed 2 out of 10 takedowns vs a boxer in gus and 3 out of how many vs smith?

theyre not just spamming takedowns and getting 90% stuffed. theyre dominating ppl with pure wrestling. jones is a striker like aldo. yeah he outwrestled a good wrestler while pulsing turinabol bravo. tibau outwrestled khabib and was pulsing so?

He is not a striker like Aldo, he's almost a perfect blend of striker and wrestler.

Tbh ever since the Bader fight, I've been more impressed with his wrestling/grappling than striking. His striking is slightly overrated, and wrestling underrated.

Back