Media Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history according to Ben Askren

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
askren fought 0.

and? Askren didn't put himself on the list so what's your point?

WW has a ton of elite wrestlers, Usman, Woodley, Covington, even Maia has become very proficient.

Hell RDA, took covington down 3 times.

next we will have aldo up there. jones should never be on a list like this one. unless we going top 10-15

Well, no, Aldo is not a wrestler at all is he? He's just sort of blessed with having amazing tdd.

Jones is an actual wrestler, with good TDD, defensive and offensive wrestling. He straight up manhandled Hammil, Bader and even DC - an olympic wrestler.

I don't think how much you use something is really relevant at all in a "best" list. I mean, if in theory someone spams takedowns non stop and gets 90% of them stuffed, would you say he is a better wrestler than Jones or GSP? Of course not.

Black Beast uses boxing and wins fights with boxing almost exclusively, doesn't make him a better boxer than Stipe, or JDS, or DC obviously.
point being these guys are showing mma wrestling consistently and jones is not. whether hes as capable of doing so COSNSISTENTLY is yet to be seen across all of his fight even those vs lower tier opposition.

Cejudo
Lesnar
Koscheck
Rousey
Cormier
Hughes
Askren
Lindland
McMann
Romero
Sherk
Khabib
Hendo

But if I'm being perfectly honest, Mark fucking Schultz.

I can sense the butthurt coming from the GSP fanboys.

Aldo out wrestled many wrestlers doesnt make him a better mma wrestler than them.

its not ppl wanting to give DC special make up award. Jones isnt as dominant on the ground as DC. he beat DC. but he cant do to other guys what DC does to them in regards of wrestling and ability to keep ppl down. Imagine DC vs someone like anthony smith. its a takedown or 2 and Smith is getting choked. Jones is more of a complete fighter but DCs ability not only in takedowns but keeping ppl down is higher than jones. watch every fight of DC in LHW. game plan is pretty straightforward, punch a bit takedown gas them out and choke them. Jones is mainly a striker who out wrestled a good wrestler.
If it was my list I would put him above Jones. I'm not saying he's a better wrestler than DC. I don't even know if he would even come to mind to put him on a "wrestlers" list if making one because that's not what I primarily think about with Bones. He's quite dynamic with outstanding leverage when it comes to TDD. Just saying there is potential to put him almost anywhere besides "boxing." He's quite the enigma and a puzzle to be yet figured out. He just nullify's almost everyone's bread and butter. We had Gustafsson coming the closest using a skill that seems to be Bones weak point. The problem is you almost need to be as big as him, have his reach and have decent enough TDD of your own to be even effective to implement it. You have to fight at your pinnacle and hope for the best.

Frankie Edgar couldn't take Jose Aldo down at all
He took him down twice.

Shout out to @MaveDeltzer :
Edgar in the first fight is the only one to get him down twice in the 2nd and 4th.
Aldo-Edgar-takedown.gif

Edgar-takedown-Aldo.gif

His doubles were fun to watch.

Georges showed us the best overall MMA adapted wrestling we've ever seen and should be #1.

Who is the best wrestler Khabib has fought? He might be among the great wrestlers, but he's only faced lower tier wrestlers a few times, including getting taken down multiple times by Trulio... who was a third tier college wrestlers. Gritty controversial decision with Tibau.

Michael Johnson and Conor are truly atrocious wrestlers. Barboza might be, they like to roll out his take down defense stats but he's been dropped and put away so many times nobody needed to take him down in his losses.

Then of course Jon Jones is a flat out cheater, and it pains me to say it, but he's a freak and the best of the best, if we exclude that he's a confirmed cheater.

No Jones the guy the guy that domintated the Olympian?
Hendricks the guy that out wrestled gsp?

Well, no, Aldo is not a wrestler at all is he? He's just sort of blessed with having amazing tdd.

Jones is an actual wrestler, with good TDD, defensive and offensive wrestling. He straight up manhandled Hammil, Bader and even DC - an olympic wrestler.

And Rashad as well.

Jake O'Brien had a very strong wrestling background as well.

No Jones and Rashad is fucking disrespectful. Rashad literally can’t be held down . And jones is capable of taking anyone down

Jon jones outwrestled dc .

My point is that an Olympic Gold Medalist in wrestling should be on anyone's list of the Top 5 wrestlers in UFC history.

Ben is referring to wrestling within an MMA contest, obviously. Not accomplishments competing in wrestling.

No Jones the guy the guy that domintated the Olympian?
Hendricks the guy that out wrestled gsp?

Hendricks outwrestled GSP?

GSP took Hendricks down 3 times, Hendricks took GSP down twice. GSP had the only pass of the fight.

Here is a list of career takedown leaders ufc history https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/stats?weightclass=11&category=basic&sort=3

Jon Fitch, Sean Sherk, Corey Anderson and Karo Parisyan are 4 of the top guys in takedowns per fight. Karo was kind of Judo guy though.
Looking at that list got me thinging it's hard to leave Mighty Mouse out of a top-5, and frankly I think he is more effective, meaning better, at MMA wrestling than DC has been so DC can drop a few places. No disrespect to DC at all, he's a great MMA fighter including being a great wrestler.

While I write my list, i'm more than aware 80% might disagree with me. This is prob a little different than my last list

Nonetheless:
1) Khabib Nurmagomedov
2) Daniel Cormier
3) Jon Jones
4) Yoel Romero
5) Ben Askren, not by ufc accomplishment obviously, but by popular demand.

Back