Top 5 undeserving title shots

All Chael said was "Yes" when everyone else said "No". This to a degree merits it but had others said yes, and he got it anyways, well thats a different story. I don't know why people are still not getting that.

Yes, he did say "Yes"! But was everybody asked? I thought the only people that were asked were Machida and he said no and probably Shogun and he said no. Was Phil Davis, Gustaffson, Lil Nog, Bader, Thiago Silva and the likes asked? That is the real question I want to know. Because when that whole thing happened it only seemed like a couple fighters were really asked and the whole I asked everyone and they said no was sort of blown out of proportion.

Still if Jones wouldn't fight Chael what makes me think he would have fought any other replacement? SO in reality Jones also said: No.

40% of those "undeserving" challengers won their bids, and 40% haven't fought yet. Only 20% lost.

Maybe it's time we appreciate the fights we get and not cry in our beers for guys we've never met who will likely get their shots soon enough as it is.

Maybe.

Nate Quarry vs Rich Franklin comes to mind, as well as Joe Riggs vs Matt Hughes on the same card...I know Joe was a replacement but still

The problem stems from what the requirements for "deserving" a title shot are. Its obvious that the criteria that many of you have are different than what the UFC have.

Most of the bitching comes from an inability to separate reality from ideal fantasies.

Neither the GSP/Diaz fight or the Jones/Sonnen fight go against the criteria that the UFC uses.

Totally agree. At a high level UFC appears to have 3 criteria in terms of fighters deserving a shot:
1) Marketability
2) Record
3) Being a "company man"

2/3 are probably interchangeable but undoubtedly #1 is the most important (exactly the same as in boxing). Brock vs Couture was made with an obvious eye on setting up UFC 100. Even after Brock had his Coors/Bud light rant at that show he was the #1 guy in terms of marketability so would always have been in or around the title picture until he'd lost all credibility over multiple fights (on an aside I actually rated early Brock, can't believe how 2 bouts of diverticulitis seem to be conviniently forgotten when looking at his last two fights).

I do struggle with the Chael shot at 205 but its a clear attempt at giving TUF a shot in the arm. On the above criteria most puzzling title shots might well be
Buentello vs Arlovski
Ortiz vs Sinosic
but they're early on in the UFC and in context they probably made some kind of sense.

the only people who think Diaz didn't lose against Condit are retard fanboys. and at least with Sonnen there are recent intangibles like Sonnen being rewarded for stepping up on short notice, and also for helping with TUF's sagging ratings. Meanwhile the recent intangibles with Nick include skipping numerous press conferences and then getting suspended for a year for marijuana.

Yes, you could argue Henderson deserves the title shot as much as Hendricks, but at least Hendricks didn't already get one and have to pull out due to injury

Still a completely undeserving title shot and I'd argue it's a close 2nd, but in my books GSP/Diaz takes the cake

I dunno. I don't think Diaz won the fight (am a Diaz fan though) but you gotta admit that a contested decision (whether you feel so or not) is a hell of a lot less damning than getting TKO'd.

Sonnen stepped up on short notice but the fight never happened. I GUARANTEE any top 205er would have agreed to a Jones fight with the time for a full camp, let alone national television exposure.

The point I guess I was trying to make is that at least Diaz is a top 5 WW contender, and saying "yes" to a fight that never materialized in a weightclass you haven't fought in since 05(06?) doesn't put you in those rankings.

I get it you're not a Nick Diaz fan (fair enough), and I resubmit that I agree Hendricks is the most deserving, but to me the Sonnen/Jones fight is exponentially worse... Helping TUF's sagging ratings is a stupid fuckin way to be considered deserving of a title shot. Sorry, I don't like it even when deserved title shots get put on hold due to coaching TUF, let alone this Jones/Sonnen joke.

the only people who think Diaz didn't lose against Condit are retard fanboys. and at least with Sonnen there are recent intangibles like Sonnen being rewarded for stepping up on short notice, and also for helping with TUF's sagging ratings. Meanwhile the recent intangibles with Nick include skipping numerous press conferences and then getting suspended for a year for marijuana.

Yes, you could argue Henderson deserves the title shot as much as Hendricks, but at least Hendricks didn't already get one and have to pull out due to injury

Still a completely undeserving title shot and I'd argue it's a close 2nd, but in my books GSP/Diaz takes the cake

I wish it was a draw and they had CARLOS VS. DIAZ II. But back then they were tired of doing draws and shit. But even Joe Rogan thought that Nick Diaz won when he re-watched the tape. So it isn't JUST retard fanboys. Why so much hate on Nick though? He is a good fighter:

Nick Diaz Vs. Paul Daley = whipped his azz.
Nick Diaz Vs. BJ PENN = whipped his azz.
Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit = chased his azz down, took a few hits in the process.

Do you dislike him as a fighter or as a person? What did he even do wrong to you? Are you mad that he is marketable and hasn't fought in a year and he still gets a title shot? Do you dislike how he hypes up fights by talkin' shit? Do you hate how he is a tri-athlete?

Well who are you and what do you do for a living Mr. BigShot.

TS, you forgot BJ-GSP 2. BJ got that title shot after 2 consecutive losses at WW.

Quit bitching and enjoy the fights.

Again, who else was Jones to face? He had beaten Shogun, Machida, Bader, and Hendo was injured.

Everbody else turned down the title shot vs. Jones. So yes Chael deserves it. As for Tito-Ken the ufc was in bad shape and that fight brought alot of hype.

Wasn't Royce Gracie Vs Hughes a title fight?

And out of topic, but fight finder erased Royce's "defeat" against Harold Howard (his first fight with Yoshida was already erased anyway)

Wasn't Royce Gracie Vs Hughes a title fight?

And out of topic, but fight finder erased Royce's "defeat" against Harold Howard (his first fight with Yoshida was already erased anyway)

No, I thought it was a first too until I saw his documentary.

Sinosic v Ortiz
Vladdy Mat v Ortiz
Eilers v Arlovski
Hardy v GSP
Edgar v Aldo
Sinosic upset the #1 Contender.

Vladdy stepped up after Vitor pulled out.

Eilers was the only one who would step up. Buentello turned down the fight. The UFC even tried to get Ricco back, and there were even rumors they turned to Josh Barnett. No one else would take it, so Eilers stepped up.

Hardy wasn't great, but he also beat the top contender in Swick and was 4-0 in the division. Not the most deserving, but it's definitely not the least.

I have no problem with Edgar's status at 155 earning him a title fight at 145.

Frank Shamrock vs John Lober--Lober had beaten Frank a few years earlier but was winless in his previous 6 fights. Vitor was calling for a shot at Frank, but Lober got it instead.

Serra vs GSP--Winning TUF may have guaranteed him a title fight, but in no way did he deserve it.

Lesnar vs Couture--Lesnar was 1-1 in the UFC and 2-1 in the sport. Werdum got screwed.

Ken vs Tito

Chael vs Jones--Pretty terrible.

Hard to call the shot undeserved when the challenger actually beat the champion

Back