Top 5 undeserving title shots

I thought Shogun and Machida both said no, and Hendo was injured.

Hendo f***ed the whole situation in the first place by creating such a short deadline for the UFC to work with by keeping his injury under wraps. 2-3 weeks is a lot better of a timeline to find a replacement than 1 week.

I feel as if his controversial loss(es) to bendo and the fact he was so resilient at 155 kind of smoothes it out.

True. Both fights were as close as just about every other Edgar title fight. I just feel like the timing and circumstances cheapen what is otherwise arguably the most interesting fight in UFC Featherweight history.

I'm sure Shogun, Machida and Hendo especially would of said yes to a fight with Jones in April...

bingo. This "rewarding him for stepping up" when he didnt even have to step up, is stupid.

True. Both fights were as close as just about every other Edgar title fight. I just feel like the timing and circumstances cheapen what is otherwise arguably the most interesting fight in UFC Featherweight history.

Couldn't agree more.

#1 Diaz/GSP: this one takes the cake because
  • Diaz lost his last fight
  • Diaz has 0 wins over a current top-10 WW, and
  • there was an infinitely more deserving contender ready and willing to get the shot instead
The rest in no particular order are:
  • Sylvia/Arlovski 3
  • Sylvia/Randy
  • Jones/Sonnen
  • Randy/Couture

I think Jones / Sonnen is much worse. Nick is coming off of a much less decisive loss, and is at least fighting in his own weightclass.

i think sonnen vs jones is 1st, then diaz vs GSP

All Chael said was "Yes" when everyone else said "No". This to a degree merits it but had others said yes, and he got it anyways, well thats a different story. I don't know why people are still not getting that.

I agree. Like him or not the guy showed gameness and stepped up without hesitation.

I think Jones / Sonnen is much worse. Nick is coming off of a much less decisive loss, and is at least fighting in his own weightclass.

the only people who think Diaz didn't lose against Condit are retard fanboys. and at least with Sonnen there are recent intangibles like Sonnen being rewarded for stepping up on short notice, and also for helping with TUF's sagging ratings. Meanwhile the recent intangibles with Nick include skipping numerous press conferences and then getting suspended for a year for marijuana.

Yes, you could argue Henderson deserves the title shot as much as Hendricks, but at least Hendricks didn't already get one and have to pull out due to injury

Still a completely undeserving title shot and I'd argue it's a close 2nd, but in my books GSP/Diaz takes the cake

I don't agree with GSP/Diaz. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have handed Diaz a shot either... if it was up to me GSP would fight JH. I just don't think people understand that Diaz still is the 4th ranked WW right now. Number one contender? Def not, but still not a top 5 undeserving title shot IMO.

I think people became too spoiled with GSP always fighting the #1 or 2 guy. Let him have this fight. Other champs have had theirs...

yah you can't deny

1. Diaz vs condit was close

2. This will be an exiting fight

3. Diaz is still full of piss and vinegar when challenged with GSP he's been discouraged and damaged this may be UFC's last chance to cash in on Diaz causing drama and calling people out.

Does this make him deserving? Nope but it sure makes a lot of story line and one hell of a fight. I can see both sides but I am biased and want to see Diaz fight, win or lose he will fight his heart out.

I agree. Like him or not the guy showed gameness and stepped up without hesitation.

I like the fact that Dana is rewarding "those to step up". I bet nobody will say NO next time they get offered to pick up a title fight on short notice. Shit, thas what built this sport in the firtst place, fighters that didn't give a fuck who stood across from them on any given night.

The more I think about it, it made me realize a similar scenario happened at my HS.

A veteran from Iraq came to my HS (sonnen) came to speak about PTSD which he suffered from. He suffered heavily from the disorder and it also prevented him from gaining a permanent position as a teacher which he was well suited (had a degree and etc).

One teacher did not show up to work one day (hendo), causing the school to look for a sub.

The popular sub who was an alum and star athlete (shogun, machida) who was trying to get a full time position at the school said no, they wouldn't come in due to already working, too short notice, etc.

Well the veteran cancelled his speaking obligation and subbed in for the teacher. After the year ended he was rewarded with a full time position and the popular sub, well, is still subbing. He still bitches about it today, to my knowledge.

While Sonnen may not have earned his shot in the traditional sense, I can't say it's completely undeserved. When you step up and do what your company asks it's natural to receive some type of reward. Are there people more deserving.....yeah, but like someone above me said, I like that Dana is rewarding Sonnen for being a company man.

I like the fact that Dana is rewarding "those to step up". I bet nobody will say NO next time they get offered to pick up a title fight on short notice. Shit, thas what built this sport in the firtst place, fighters that didn't give a fuck who stood across from them on any given night.

This. /thread.

Back