Top 5 undeserving title shots

Reem after beating Brock Lesnar who just lost, or maybe even Cain after beating bigfoot who just lost to Daniel Emelianegro, basically anyone who just lost or beat someone who just lost doesn't deserve a title shot IMO

The whole div is waiting. Gus, Hendo and Machida have all earned their shots. But no no Shael and Vitor must fight first!!

Gus is very deserving he's being groomed. He is a great fighter but if he matures more before he gets the fight I think he will be more than a great fighter or even the champ for a short period, he could be the next big thing IMO. Don't worry about Gus he's young, destroying amazing fighters and we haven't seen what he is fully capable of yet.

To restate he is very deserving but they can't just feed him to Jones yet. If he keeps winning he could give Jones some problems.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if Chael wins.

The butthurt will be legendary.

I think Lesnar/Couture is the worst.

The only thing about that one is there wasn't really anyone else stepping up at the time. You maybe could have done Big Nog, but aside from that there wasn't any significant HW at the time to take a shot. And Lesnar was marketable, so it made sense on some level.

To me, one of the worst title shots goes to Thales Leites. I've never been less confident in a challenger beating a champion. Granted the division was weak at the time, but they should have known that was going to be a farce.

Gil, if he gets a shot without fighting in the UFC, will be questionable to me.

Vitor vs Randy 2 came after a win against Eastman. (vag cut)

The outcome was even more undeserving.

All Chael said was "Yes" when everyone else said "No". This to a degree merits it but had others said yes, and he got it anyways, well thats a different story. I don't know why people are still not getting that.

Henderson was scheduled to fight Jones before Chael said yes and would have been ready before April.

Using your logic the fight should have gone to Weidman, he offered to fight Jones too and was actually coming off of wins.

1) Chael vs. Jones

It defies logic. A guy who hasn't won at 205 in over seven fucking years just leapfrogged somebody who earned his title shot by winning one of the greatest fights of all time over the last champ--never mind the fact he KO'd the HW GOAT two fights ago.

This is shameful fucking bullshit, but I'll still tune in, because I love watching Chael get his ass kicked! Dana White has pulled off something brilliant here: nobody won't watch this, no matter how disgusted they are by it.

2) Diaz vs. GSP

Look, I get that it's more marketable than a fight with the true #1 contender, and that one can make the fairly reasonable case that Diaz didn't get blown out by Condit, and the rest of his resume, plus Georges really wanting to kick his ass, justifies this crap.

None of that changes that Nick is coming off a loss, while Johny Hendricks has won five straight, including two crushing KOs of top-10 fighters. This is garbage, we all know it, and of course we'll all watch it.

Just remember Diaz fans, your boy is about to receive a terrible beating. Seriously, I wouldn't watch it if I were you. It's going to be ugly...

3) Leites vs. Anderson

Thales "earned" his shot by beating Pete Sell (who?), Floyd Sword (uh....), and Ryan Jensen (he's still in the UFC....right...?); before getting a garbage decision over Nate Marquardt, and submitting Drew McFedries.

If you need more evidence that this was a fucking joke before the fight itself was a fucking joke, simply read the last sentence again.

4) Serra vs. GSP I

Yes, I know that Serra clubbed Georges' lazy, over-confident ass into submission. This was easily the greatest upset in MMA history (with apologies to Randleman-CroCop I, and Griffin-Shogun I)

This doesn't change that Matt "earned" his shot with exhibition wins over Pete Spratt, and Shonie Carter, before barely getting by Chris Lytle to win a reality show contest.

Funny thing about all those upsets....all of those underdogs got fucking served in the rematches...

5) Lutter vs. Silva

No, it doesn't matter that this fight ended up being a non-title bout because the "Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" ate too many goddamn cookies before the weigh-in.

Travis beat Scott Smith and Pete Sell in exhibitions, before subbing Patrick Cote to win the same stupid reality contest that Serra did. Before that, he beat Jose Landi-Jons, and somebody named Cedric Marks--hardly a win-streak worthy of a shot at the champ.

But hey, he almost had Anderson in danger...

Don't care what anyone said, he is a MW coming off a loss who hasn't fought at 205 in years..

Hes the #2 MW, top 20 p4p, and nearly beat the greatest fighter ever.

He shouldnt have got it but hes much more than 'a mw coming off of a loss'.

Hendo f***ed the whole situation in the first place by creating such a short deadline for the UFC to work with by keeping his injury under wraps. 2-3 weeks is a lot better of a timeline to find a replacement than 1 week.

Henderson was trying to save the event by fighting injured.

I doubt they could have found a decent replacement in 2-3 weeks anyway.

I do find it hilarious that so few people blame Dana for making a card so shitty it had to be cancelled because it lost one fight.

chael v.s. jones
cain jds 2
erik koch v.s. jose aldo
frankie edgar v.s jose aldo
chael sonnen v.s. anderson 2

theres a lot more from before just goin with the more recent ones.

chael v.s. jones
cain jds 2
erik koch v.s. jose aldo
frankie edgar v.s jose aldo
chael sonnen v.s. anderson 2

theres a lot more from before just goin with the more recent ones.

Is this a troll post? How are Cain/JDS II and Silva/Sonnen II worse than GSP/Diaz?

Even though I wasn't excited at all about Koch/Aldo, Hioki and Poirier turned down the fight and Zombie wasn't deserving at the time.

Is this a troll post? How are Cain/JDS II and Silva/Sonnen II worse than GSP/Diaz?

Even though I wasn't excited at all about Koch/Aldo, Hioki and Poirier turned down the fight and Zombie wasn't deserving at the time.

just because your a dumb-ass doesnt mean its a troll post. why is gsp/diaz SOOOO much worse? chael beat brian stann and then in my opinion lost that fight against michael bisping then got his ass kicked. cain velasquez gets ktfo in 30 seconds by jds then beats big foot silva who was coming off an ass wooping/straight domination by cormier. diaz was coming over from strikeforce as the welterweight champion with a 10 fight win streak then comes dominates bj penn into retirement and gets robbed of a win against the natural born runner. what is so hard to understand? obviously your just a retard.

Last edited:
just because your a dumb-ass doesnt mean its a troll post. why is gsp/diaz SOOOO much worse? chael beat brian stann and then in my opinion lost that fight against michael bisping then got his ass kicked. cain velasquez gets ktfo in 30 seconds by jds then beats big foot silva who was coming off an ass wooping/straight domination by cormier. diaz was coming over from strikeforce as the welterweight champion with a 10 fight win streak then comes dominates bj penn into retirement and gets robbed of a win against the natural born runner. what is so hard to understand? obviously your just a retard.

Even if you think Chael lost the fight with Bisping (I scored it for Chael live, rewatching it later I think it was a draw) he was officially coming off of two wins over ranked opponents.

Cain is at least coming off of a win and has good wins in the division unlike Nick.

Diaz's last fight was a year ago that he lost. A large majority of people scored that fight for Carlos so GTFO with that "robbed" bullshit.

Not to mention niether of those fights fucked over a clear cut #1 contender like GSP/Diaz did.

brock is worse. atleast sonnen fought more then 3 fights by then,.. brock pretty much won 1 fight vs somene who was barely ranked at the time for his title shot after he lost. and thats pretty much his whole record.. sonnen doesn't deserve it, but atleast he proved that he'll be in mma for more then a few years just to make as much money as possible then quit the moment he gets whooped

At least Lesnar won his last fight. How is that worse than those coming off losses getting title shots?

What was his record like 2-1 in MMA? He got the shot over Werdum, who paid his dues then ran into Dos Santos.

The only thing about that one is there wasn't really anyone else stepping up at the time. You maybe could have done Big Nog, but aside from that there wasn't any significant HW at the time to take a shot. And Lesnar was marketable, so it made sense on some level.

Werdum was coming off a win over Vera, which was actually impressive at the time. He was 2-1 in the UFC and 11-3 in his career. He deserved it a lot more than Lesnar.

Sinosic v Ortiz
Vladdy Mat v Ortiz
Eilers v Arlovski
Hardy v GSP
Edgar v Aldo

The problem stems from what the requirements for "deserving" a title shot are. Its obvious that the criteria that many of you have are different than what the UFC have.

Most of the bitching comes from an inability to separate reality from ideal fantasies.

Neither the GSP/Diaz fight or the Jones/Sonnen fight go against the criteria that the UFC uses.

Back