• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom Aspinall suggests he might have pursued Miocic fight if he were Jon Jones

Ludicrous.

That's like the only people who would actually consider that is folk like Kanye West and other Uber rich pop stars or whoever.

I dislike the corporate greed shown here by the UFC. regular fans simply cannot afford PPV ticket prices especially not events like Jon Jones (alleged) last ever UFC fight.

I'd really like the UFC to commit to having at least 30% of all the event tickets capped at a max price of something like 400 or 500dollars. Even that is quite a lot.

These 4-figure and 5-figure ticket prices are unfair on regular fans and I hope there's some sort of PR backlash.
h6s07l6it5d11.gif

Will we see Jones vs Aspinall?

No. UFC can't pull it off. I'll be impressed if they do, it's the best fight of the decade.

Did Jones chose wisely?

Nah, I don't care about Jones-Miocic, it won't do anything for Jones' resumé.

Is the Interim Belt, the real belt?

Yes.

Let Tom bang bro?

Yes.
Stipe is considered the greatest HW of all time by many still. 2 wins over DC. It's a matchup fans used to talk about since way back when they were both champs.

So it's a homage to an old fantasy match.
Plus, Stipe is a known commodity. Not necessarily a marketable fighter, but he's known amongst the general audience. There's a bigger storyline and everything needed to sell the fight.

Tom would be a cool fight for the hardcore fans, but we aren't who keep the lights on.

Jones would probably take a huge pay cut to fight him, which defeats the entire purpose of moving to HW to begin with.

Even beyond Jones, there's a whole team of talking heads representing Dana, the UFC and WME who definitely wouldn't want him to fight Aspinall either. Especially if he only has one or two left.

Jones is one of the UFC's only stars left. There's definitely a huge push to make his last fight or two as big as they can possibly be.

Sucks for Tom but that's the game and he isn't that guy.

I still think Mr. Stipey could have possibly beaten Aspinall if they made that fight happen after Jon pulled out of UFC 295. I'd give him a 50/50 chance.

He's put himself in a no-win situation, IMO.

If he wins the fight, Stipe hasn't fought in over 3 years and was basically retired. If he loses, that speaks for itself.

lol after he posted that his fight with blaydes is a big risk
tom tryna controll damage right now by posting this

Tom is incredible at demoting himself. Perhaps the best I have ever seen.

Yes, it was an obvious backhanded remark. But fancy telling everyone that Jones would make 1/5th the amount of money fighting you over someone else, which likely isn't even remotely true.

He's wildly exaggerating in order to tell everyone how little people give a shit about him, which is a bold strategy, Cotton.

Stipe is a bona fide great of the sport. He will go down as that no matter how the rest of his career goes.

Aspinall is still a question. He could be a great but he could also flame out and go on a huge losing streak.

If you're Jones and you're going to risk losing to one of them, Stipe makes way more sense.
giphy.gif

Ngannou_Stipe-Miocic2_KO.gif

images

Stipe is considered the greatest HW of all time by many still. 2 wins over DC. It's a matchup fans used to talk about since way back when they were both champs.

So it's a homage to an old fantasy match.
Plus, Stipe is a known commodity. Not necessarily a marketable fighter, but he's known amongst the general audience. There's a bigger storyline and everything needed to sell the fight.

Tom would be a cool fight for the hardcore fans, but we aren't who keep the lights on.

Jones would probably take a huge pay cut to fight him, which defeats the entire purpose of moving to HW to begin with.

Even beyond Jones, there's a whole team of talking heads representing Dana, the UFC and WME who definitely wouldn't want him to fight Aspinall either. Especially if he only has one or two left.

Jones is one of the UFC's only stars left. There's definitely a huge push to make his last fight or two as big as they can possibly be.

Sucks for Tom but that's the game and he isn't that guy.

I get it, it just doesn't do it for me.

Fedor is my favourite heavyweight of all time, but that didn't mean I tuned in to all his later fights.

Some still want to see Mike Tyson though, so...

Aspinall has been pretty shit at marketing himself. He should be attacking Jones, not sucking up to him.

I think most of us get why Jon is doing it, at least from HIS perspective.

It's one of the lowest risk to highest reward match ups he could pick at HW.

Stipe has the name. Two time HW champ.

UFC probably pays him a handsome fee for it.

The main issue is virtually no one outside of Jons remaining fans and pink Goof cares about this match up whatsoever at this stage of their careers.

Stipes last fight he got flatlined in, and he has been MIA since then, for quite some time.

It's just a bizarre match up tbh.
Only a narcissist like Jones really wants the fans to think he's taking a very hard fight that's a legitimate challenge, literally trying to convince the fans that Stipe is still dangerous as ever.

Just stfu and accept your gift matchup dude.

Jones is not fighting Tom , too big , too young , too fast , too dangerous.
So Jones being the complete sociopath that he is will pretend that fighting Tom is way beneath him.
He also needs to beat Stipe for his ego , his arch rival Dc beat him and as of right now all he’s accomplished at Heavyweight is strangle a kick boxer with a very undeveloped ground game .

Jeez Hamill looks dead at the end of that.

Jones is not fighting Tom , too big , too young , too fast , too dangerous.
So Jones being the complete sociopath that he is will pretend that fighting Tom is way beneath him.
He also needs to beat Stipe for his ego , his arch rival Dc beat him and as of right now all he’s accomplished at Heavyweight is strangle a kick boxer with a very undeveloped ground game .
jon-jones.gif

Well, yeah. anyone who was handpicking their opponents to avoid dangerous contenders would fight the name coming out of retirement.
As opposed to Tom picking 1 fight win streak Blaydes, who everybody was shocked actually won that fight, simply because he's the last man to "beat" Tom via 10 second fluke injury?

Don't act like it's just Jon playing the game here.

He's wildly exaggerating in order to tell everyone how little people give a shit about him, which is a bold strategy, Cotton.
I wish more people understood how brilliant that joke actually was in Dodgeball. The bold strategy actually worked.

The surface level joke is that forfeiting is a loss and therefore can't result in a win. It's a bold strategy indeed to win by announcing you're going to instead lose. You're supposed to laugh at how dumb Pepper Brooks' comment sounds because it is dumb.

But then the movie plays out that the delay needed in announcing the forfeit gave just enough time for Peter LaFleur to have a change of heart and show up, thereby giving Average Joe's enough players to continue. While they'd already forfeited, the rules allow the judges to overturn a forfeit and so Chuck Norris casts the deciding vote to let them continue. Peter LaFleur goes on to score the game winning point, none of which would've happened without the forfeit.

The bold strategy DID work.

Which is how you should watch Dodgeball on rewatches: that Pepper Brooks really ISN'T an idiot. Practically all of his "idiotic" comments turn out or are correct. It's way funnier once you get the inside joke that Pepper is telling the real story.

As opposed to Tom picking 1 fight win streak Blaydes, who everybody was shocked actually won that fight, simply because he's the last man to "beat" Tom via 10 second fluke injury?

Don't act like it's just Jon playing the game here.
giphy.gif

Back