To those who think Jones won't have a chance at heavyweight.

jones would do fine at HW, I personally think the top handful of guys would crush him but I don't think anyone has said he would get beat by journey men

Hasn't junior dos Santos taught you hulk power is not all you need to reach the top. Its all about precision and technicality. (Junior has mastered it to the point he can achieve knockouts with that technique.)

And if you think this is the epitome of power Jones will ever possess then you're naive.

JDS has concentrated hulk power. Along with precision and technicality, and the fact that he is tough as nails.

It's not just technique, a lot of it his power.

For some reason dudes get off on trashing the guys at the top. Same with Anderson and GSP. JBJ would definitely do well at HW.

Its foolish to think he would do terrible.

But one thing he doesn't have at 205 is power in his punches. That would be an issue at HW against monsters.

Don't know about that. I mean neither Werdum or Bigfoot are known for their power and both do fairly well. It all depends on how he develops his technique to throw a proper punch and the mass behind it.

Don't know about that. I mean neither Werdum or Bigfoot are known for their power and both do fairly well. It all depends on how he develops his technique to throw a proper punch and the mass behind it.

Those guys would probably have more power if they were at lhw don't you think?

Not saying Jones couldn't win a fight at HW. But his lack of finishing power on the feet would give him a disadvantage against a lot of top guys at HW.

Those guys would probably have more power if they were at lhw don't you think?

Not saying Jones couldn't win a fight at HW. But his lack of finishing power on the feet would give him a disadvantage against a lot of top guys at HW.

Maybe, but they're low punching power might just be poor technique. His lack of finishing power on the fight might be a drawback, but it still applies on LHW and it hasn't been an issue so far so I doubt it would be one at HW where his punches would likely carry more mass behind them and he will have most likely fine tuned his technique by the time he makes the move up there.

I agree but knocking the guy out isn't the only way to get a win. He has the most subs at lhw ufc history, I would love to see how'd that translate at heavy weight. and I can't see him losing too many fights that go the distance

I agree. His reach is still the longest in the UFC, and his legs are also incredibly long. They're aren't many at hw that can match his technical striking at hw either.

I know from your previous posts you immensely hate Jon Jones but what makes you think the 240 pound Jon Jones won't be the 1 taking down Cormier (who he has a huge reach advantage on) and Cain and not the other way around. sure either scenario can happen but you cannot automatically assume from what you seen from Jon Jones that someone with that best equal wrestling to his will take him down that easy and not vice versa. I mean his take down the fence is 100 percent right now now

I don't hate Jones, I'm just not a fan.

Where is this 240 lbs Jon Jones? What makes you say he's going to be 240 lbs? The champion is around 230-240.

When the time comes and Jones does move up, all questions will be answered.

I know he would do great against some guys, BUT not against JDS,REEM. I know most of you will not agree with me on this, some my even laugh. I think Nelson would win if they fought.He is not going to sub Roy, not going to knock out Roy,maybe win ud, but I bet Roy would land that over hand and get him, I really believe he could

For now he'll be in the HW top 5. We've yet to see him face opponents that are significantly larger than him (Jones is a big LHW). He'll be put to the test when he fights JDS, Overeem, Cormier, or Cain. In all honestly those are the only HWs I see giving him trouble.

He would become slower and his cardio would go from average to below average.

Does he bring great striking to the HW division? No (his striking looks solid now mainly due to his height/reach)

Does he bring a great submisson game to the HW division? No

What he does bring, however, is a very elite wrestling game. An unorthodox (to the majority of MMA) one at that because of his Greco background.

He needs to realize these things when he moves up though. If he thinks striking with Overeem, JDS, Barry or even Mir/Cain is gonna be the same as striking with the guys at LHW he is gonna be dead wrong. The guy is naturally a wrestler and needs to stick to it.

Its foolish to think he would do terrible.

But one thing he doesn't have at 205 is power in his punches. That would be an issue at HW against monsters.

I don't think having "1 shot power" is a necessity in any division. Jones is a volume striker that does accumulative damage. So its not any one shot that will hurt you, but the combination of a bunch of shots, combined with the very real threat of serious ground and pound, and submissions. If/When Jones goes up to HW, I think he'll eventually be a champion there as well. He would be the most well rounded fighter at HW.

Alot of HW punchers have power because they know how to use there weight. Weight is a huge factor in power shots. I've seen vids of Jones knocking out sparring partners, I'm sure his power will be just fine at 245.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back