To those who think Jones won't have a chance at heavyweight.

Technical striking? His striking is good because of his reach. His wrestling won't get better and if anything it will become worse. I don't think he will do great but only time will tell. I think he is rushing into moving up.

Technical striking? His striking is good because of his reach. His wrestling won't get better and if anything it will become worse. I don't think he will do great but only time will tell. I think he is rushing into moving up.

Rellly it will become worse and how is that ??

Last edited:
Idk about all that. Idc how much weight he puts on, he has a very lengthy frame. That's not going to go over well with these big HW wrestlers. I also don't think he could take down most top level HW's either. JDS, Overeem, Cain, Cormier and Barnett beat him hands down.

This guy named Randy couture. You may have heard of him.

Actually Randy moved to LHW when he was getting beat by guys that were too big for him at heavy. That happened twice. It seems like there's people just convinced no one on earth could beat Jones. If you don't think his size and reach are huge advantages at LHW your being naive. I don't think he'd be terrible at HW but to act like he should already have the belt is ridiculous and disrespectful to the current HWs.

Actually Randy moved to LHW when he was getting beat by guys that were too big for him at heavy. That happened twice. It seems like there's people just convinced no one on earth could beat Jones. If you don't think his size and reach are huge advantages at LHW your being naive. I don't think he'd be terrible at HW but to act like he should already have the belt is ridiculous and disrespectful to the current HWs.

He will still have the reach advantage against almost every hw and what size advantage does he have at lhw? Height?

its going to be hard for him to toss guys like bigfoot and Mir around when they outweigh him by 30 pounds.

He will still have the reach advantage against almost every hw and what size advantage does he have at lhw? Height?

Let me put it a different way then. He weighed in the same as the other LHW he was fighting. At HW he won't. His incredible reach "advantage" will be reduced against almost every HW in the division. Are you one of the people who believes he should just go to HW and he'll wreck everyone?

its going to be hard for him to toss guys like bigfoot and Mir around when they outweigh him by 30 pounds.

Jones doesn't physically toss fighters, he trips them and this is why his clinch grappling is so good. He uses freestyle/judo like tosses in the clinch and freestyle wrestling trips to get his opponents down. He also uses momentum and balance to take fighters down, he doesnt use brute strength in his clinch he uses freestyle technique.

You can see that technique in the Bonnar and Obrien fight where he tosses Bonnar all over the ring. I dont see anyone being able to compete with him in clinch wrestling at HW outside of Cormier, those HW;s just aren't skilled enough for that kind of freestyle wrestling game.

Also both guys in Mir and Big foot cant beat Jones in the stand up so why would he want to wrestle with them. He can beat both in the stand up quite easily, never understood the Mir fascination, he was beaten by Vera.

Last edited:
Jones doesn't physically toss fighters, he trips them and this is why his clinch grappling is so good. He uses freestyle/judo like tosses in the clinch and freestyle wrestling trips to get his opponents down. He also uses momentum and balance to take fighters down, he doesnt use brute strength in his clinch he uses freestyle technique.

You can see that technique in the Bonnar and Obrien fight where he tosses Bonnar all over the ring. I dont see anyone being able to compete with him in clinch wrestling at HW outside of Cormier, those HW;s just aren't skilled enough for that kind of freestyle wrestling game.

Also both guys in Mir and Big foot cant beat Jones in the stand up so why would he want to wrestle with them. He can beat both in the stand up quite easily, never understood the Mir fascination, he was beaten by Vera.

That tripping game is not going to be so easy when you have a guy that close that can knock you out as soon as he lands. HW is a total different ball game. Fights end quick. Knockouts are more of a certainty than LHW. Jones success relies on his physical attributes and skill-set.
LHW rely on more skill than power/strength. Jones has great skills but nothing out of the ordinary but its enough added with his extraordinary physical attributes that he uses to it full potential. This makes him very hard to beat in LHW. In the HW division guys generally hit hard, use less fancy stuff because it will get you knocked out. Jones throws a knee strike one of those guys will walk through it with a huge looping cross that will put him to the other side of the octagon.

he would be matched up with guys that would have silimiar reach advantages, and much stronger fighters. He wouldn't be using his size like he does now, as he is a fairly big LHW to his advantage either. I still think his elbows from the clinch would be awesome at HW and his G&P still would be great. I think he would do well at HW, but I wont be convinced until he beats some top ten people as convincingly as he does now as LHW.

Similar but Jones still has a reach advantage over every single one of them..some of them,a significant advantage, see cormier. Jones faced guys in Bonnar who were at 80 plus reach..look how that turned out.

That tripping game is not going to be so easy when you have a guy that close that can knock you out as soon as he lands. HW is a total different ball game. Fights end quick. Knockouts are more of a certainty than LHW. Jones success relies on his physical attributes and skill-set.
LHW rely on more skill than power/strength. Jones has great skills but nothing out of the ordinary but its enough added with his extraordinary physical attributes that he uses to it full potential. This makes him very hard to beat in LHW. In the HW division guys generally hit hard, use less fancy stuff because it will get you knocked out. Jones throws a knee strike one of those guys will walk through it with a huge looping cross that will put him to the other side of the octagon.

Idk..Jones tdd and wrestling is very out of the ordinary. Not to mention he routinely throws spinning elbows, flying knees, more assortments of kicks than assorted nuts. Jones is far from ordinary

You say, they use less fancy Stuff

You mean Jones fancy freestyle wrestling, its grappling technique that many of the HW's dont have. Many of the HW's will have a very hard time dealing with Jones inside the clinch regardless of their punching power. They dont have the skill to grapple with Jones outside of the elite wrestlers like Cormier and Cain in the division and that is a given.

Its possible Jones can get knocked out but that is a forgone conclusion at LHW if anyone hits properly. If Rampage hits jones properly they can put him out as can Tehunna, Hendo, Texeira and a slew of other LHW's who hit just as hard as the HW fighters but have more athleticism, are faster and are more mobile.

Jones physical attributes are utilized more when he strikes which is his secondary skill set not his first, Jones first skill set is Wrestling and it is indeed something HW's without that background will have issues with.

If jones just wrestled in all of his fights he would be more dominant then using his secondary and pretty unrefined boxing.

What the HW's gain in power and weight they lose in speed, athleticism, well-roundedness and mobility. HW's are also much slower then the LHW's and that will play a factor in many of those fights. Closing the distance with the HW fighters may be harder then the LHW's who actually have the speed, skill and athleticism to cut into jones reach.

Also, no one at HW is going to walk through an oblique kick, those kicks targeting the knee will tear through a fighters knees regardless of how big you think they are, its patently ridiculous.

We will see what happens when he goes up.

Last edited:
just wait until he gets laid out back to back at HW and then come tell us how his nuts taste

Back