To those who think Jones won't have a chance at heavyweight.

itsjustme***

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this straight people think Jones will not fare well at heavyweight even though historically speaking light heavyweights who go up in class usually do better and not only that but Jones wrestling right now is arguably the best in the UFC, logically speaking if you go up in weight wrestling by default improves. The only thing him going up in weight would hinder would be speed. Although Jones is pretty quick he seldom showcases his speed aside from maybe sprawling. So a decrease in speed may prove to be inconsequential.

Now imagine a 240 pound Jon Jones with even better wrestling and the same technical striking that devastates fighters with even more force in his ground and pound against a collectively less athletic division.

I'm not saying if he goes up in class he will automatically wreck all competition but the odds are in his favor. To say he has no chance or won't even crack top ten really shows your bias.

Oh Yeah I'm not a nut hugger I simply use common sense and don't blindly hate.

Last edited:
Its foolish to think he would do terrible.

But one thing he doesn't have at 205 is power in his punches. That would be an issue at HW against monsters.

But one thing he doesn't have at 205 is power in his punches. That would be an issue at HW against monsters.

I agree but knocking the guy out isn't the only way to get a win. He has the most subs at lhw ufc history, I would love to see how'd that translate at heavy weight. and I can't see him losing too many fights that go the distance

he may not be the most powerful puncher in the world but he still has a deadly arsenal of strikes and he's constantly improving all the time.
Anderson Silva is not a massive power puncher, he kills with pin point precision accuracy( something i think Jones can get close to emulating over time.
what Jones does have is them killer elbows and the finest gnp in mma(imo)
even a hw could not take too many of those shots
also his submission game is very nice.
He has a lot more going for him, so many tricks up his sleeve that he doesnt need to have a powerful haymker

Since when does moving up increase wrestling? Speaking from experience, usually moving down is better for wrestling because you have more mass to keep your opponent under control: not the other way around.

I agree but knocking the guy out isn't the only way to get a win. He has the most subs at lhw ufc history, I would love to see how'd that translate at heavy weight. and I can't see him losing too many fights that go the distance

The HW top 10 has some dangerous BJJ guys though(Mir,Nog,Werdum etc). Probably more than LHW.

Anyone who thinks Jones CAN'T do well at HW is foolish. But much of Jone's reliance on his reach would have to be reached since there are a plethora of fighters as tall as Jones, taller than Jones, and who have 80 inch reaches. While Jones may still have the advantage against many of these guys it won't be size able (and when you factor in height against some of the taller guys it will be completely negated).

It's fun to speculate but moving up a weight class (and not just any weight class, but one where you have to add at least an extra 20 lbs) has too many variables to know what will happen.

Jon Jones does not have the power to compete at Heavyweight. His reach is monstrous at LHW but at HW, there are people with 77 and 78 inch reaches and alot taller than those who he is fighting at 205. He also cant ragdoll the Heavyweights in the clinch like he does now.

True but his cardio and ability to pepper an opponent with shots can take a toll on an opponent. I remember Rashad saying a few weeks after his fight with Jones he was still feeling sore from the kicks and elbows he received.

Plenty of hw have been successful without one punch power. It will be no more of an issue than it is at lhw.

His only advantage at HW will be his speed & athleticism.

He loses his huge reach advantage which is one of his biggest weapons at LHW.

Imagine when JDS lands once on Jones. Imagine fighting incredible wrestlers like Cain & DC who will take him down. Imagine when he feels the power of Overeem.

He won't do terrible, he just wont rule HW.

Jon Jones does not have the power to compete at Heavyweight. His reach is monstrous at LHW but at HW, there are people with 77 and 78 inch reaches and alot taller than those who he is fighting at 205. He also cant ragdoll the Heavyweights in the clinch like he does now.

Hasn't junior dos Santos taught you hulk power is not all you need to reach the top. Its all about precision and technicality. (Junior has mastered it to the point he can achieve knockouts with that technique.)

And if you think this is the epitome of power Jones will ever possess then you're naive.

His size and strength advantages help him immensely, he goes into fights with confidence, knowing he is the bigger and stronger man.

HW is a whole new ball game. I think guys like JDS and Cain would do very bad things to him.

He will probably be champion, but I am anxious to find out, I want to see him fight Anderson first.

He wouldn't stand a chance against any top5 HW

His only advantage at HW will be his speed & athleticism.

He loses his huge reach advantage which is one of his biggest weapons at LHW.

Imagine when JDS lands once on Jones. Imagine fighting incredible wrestlers like Cain & DC who will tke him down. Imagine when he feels the power of Overeem.

He won't do terrible, he just wont rule HW.

I know from your previous posts you immensely hate Jon Jones but what makes you think the 240 pound Jon Jones won't be the 1 taking down Cormier (who he has a huge reach advantage on) and Cain and not the other way around. sure either scenario can happen but you cannot automatically assume from what you seen from Jon Jones that someone with that best equal wrestling to his will take him down that easy and not vice versa. I mean his take down the fence is 100 percent right now now

If he bulks to 245lb+ and maintains all his attributes he's a top 5 HW minimum IMO.

Elbows, knees, kicks, submissions, wrestling.. Aside from one punch KO power (which can be improved) his skillset is an absolute nightmare.

Back