Thomson is possibly the most undeserving challenger ever

IMHO, he beat El Nino, and then he destroyed Nate. He's not all that bad as an injury replacement. I've certainly seen worse.

How does this make it any better? They are both retarded match ups. Thompson does not deserve a title shot, that's really the end of that argument.

Both are retarded match-ups but you're missing the point. Sonnen was far more undeserving

Josh is going to win, alot of people here dont think Pettis will have the belt for long, I think this too, Josh is going to pressure Pettis to fight, and Pettis wont like it. Also, I read Pettis said to Josh, no one knows you, which is funny because, Josh has been fighting pro much longer than Anthony, experience wins this fight imo, Josh just might have what it takes.

Healy would be the other guy right up there, imo, but considering his biggest win was overturned because he couldn't put the pipe down, the UFC might be a little annoyed with him.
Dana White seemed annoyed with him at the post-fight press conference before he tested positive because Healy was bitching to the press about stuff when Dana had just given him 6 figures in bonus money. Well, at least now he's got something to really bitch about. :wink:

This is what happens when you don't have to earn a shot at the title anymore. The UFC are doing this to themselves, and thankfully, most of the casual fans have not yet caught on.

Diaz, Chael, Miesha and Frankie coming off losses straight into title shots trumps any other "non-deserving contender coming off of a win." At least Thomson is coming off of a win--a great finish at that.

If you look at the title challengers across the divisions, you can tell that there is no universal path to a title shot in the UFC:

HW: JDS, coming off of 1 win after being dominated by Cain gets a title shot
LHW: Gus, a deserving contender on a 6 fight win streak
MW: Anderson, just got KO'd by the champion but due to name/accomplishments gets a rematch
WW: Big Rig, a deserving contender on a great streak
LW: Thomson, 1 fight win streak, inconsistent record before UFC debut
FW: Lamas (hopefully), a deserving contender on a good streak
BW: Wineland, good streak
FLW: ?
Women: Miesha, coming off of a beating, and had her arm broken by the champ a little over a year ago
In all fairness, most of the time when this happens it's due to injuries to the true challenger.

While i see where ur coming from u gotta look at the top 10 and at least throw out a name for who else u think should get the crack. Jim Miller just lost, Pat Healy just blazed one, Grant is hurt, Khabib dont want it yet, i dont think Dos Anjos is ready at all...

Both are retarded match-ups but you're missing the point. Sonnen was far more undeserving

Not disagreeing... just stating the obvious. They are horrible replacements, and neither should have a title shot. It's a waste of 4-6 months of the Champs time. There are better replacements out there.

Far as I'm concerned, Khabib Nurmagomedov is a better replacement. He's on a 20-0 streak, 3-0 in the octagon, and took out Tibau and Thiago Tavares in his first two. Normally I'd say he's not deserving of a shot either but if I had to pick between him and Thompson it would be a no brainer for me. It's much easier to get excited about a guy who's never lost compared to someone who's lost twice in his last 4, and has only fought 3 times in almost 3 years. You could arguably make the case that he's lost 3 of his last 5, considering the Calvacante fight was an absolute gift robbery... I don't like making statements like that but you've got to call it what it was.

Hell throw Dos Anjos in there, he's got a great record and has looked incredible lately... Cerrone, Bocek, Dunham... man the guy has been beating some of the toughest guys around.

Last edited:
He only destroyed Nate Diaz, recent title challenger, faster than Bendo. I think it will be a good fight but Pettis should take it.

Even though I was screaming for joy watching nate get dropped like that, there is no comparing the beating bendo put on nate to just a headkick. Prior to the headkick there was no destroying

Surprised they wouldn't match up Thomson with Sanchez and move Gilbert to the title shot since his fight with Bendo was so close..

Seems better than Thomson but idk.. I don't really care about the LW division right now since Bendo is no longer champion, Edgar left and Pettis will probably lose to a strong Rassler

So a top 5 who defeated and finished former #1 contender (who had never been finished before) is the most undeserving challenger ever? Let's pretend Jones vs Chael, Aldo vs Edgar, Couture vs Sylvia, GSP vs Diaz, and so many others never happened.

This type of thread is just craving for attention.

43a.jpg

Probably the most deserving for a injury replacement.

How does this make it any better? They are both retarded match ups. Thompson does not deserve a title shot, that's really the end of that argument.

TS argued that Thomson was the most undeserving challenger ever. The guy you have responded to posted picture evidence to the contrary.

He won the last Melendez fight imo, Melendez beat Bendo imo, so.... He also kicked Nate Diaz head off, this fight is going to be a lot better than people think imo. Pettis via ud btw tbh

Thomson should have got the nod over Melendez but there isn't a single rational argument for giving the Benson fight to Melendez. The judges scored that one accurately, close fights don't go to the challenger by default.

I saw this coming when I read tj was out. Josh is from northern California so he can draw a crowd a bit. He is the only man to ko Nate diaz, wws and be do couldn't even do that. And he dominated Nate. Josh is a solid fighter and I'm glad he's getting the opportunity.. though I think he comes up short

Why do people care so much about who deserves a title shot? Sounds like a damn good fight. The UFC exists only to entertain me, like a dancing monkey.

I really want to see Khabib Nurmagomedov Vs Josh Thomson.

Back