Thomson is possibly the most undeserving challenger ever

I had no problem with Carmoushe getting the shot.
Like another dude mentioned, Liz has never beaten an opponent with a winning record before. She's a legit can crusher. Amazingly, she was/is still touted as a legitimate contender in the division... She ain't.

Like another dude mentioned, Liz has never beaten an opponent with a winning record before. She's a legit can crusher. Amazingly, she was/is still touted as a legitimate contender in the division... She ain't.

Just because you eat all the small fish doesn't make you a small fish..

She was kicking Marloes Coenen's ass. While she's not top 5 at BW, she was the best challenger at the time and I think only Ronda and her were signed to zuffa at the time, so big deal, it was an exciting fight where Liz almost won by neck crank.

It's the UFC, title shots aren't given to then,out deserving all the time

To the p4p #1 fighter.

Still coming off a loss, and his career at 205 was mediocre at best.

That most people thought he won.

Bullshit. All major media outlets scored the fight for Condit and even here where legions of Diaz fans reside, the majority of members thought Carlos won.

Actually agree, but come on, this was a special case. Plus the UFC tried to sign cyborg.

Utter nonsense. It was Werdum who was passed over. Mir was tied up fighting Nogueira. Randy Couture is the one to thank for that. Besides, Brock got robbed by Mazagatti in the Mir fight, and should have been 2-0. Also, blame Coleman. He got injured and was supposed to fight Brock instead of Herring.

Nog should have been fighting Randy if anything. There was no need to have another interim title fight if Couture was ready to go. Either way, you still admitted Lesnar shouldn't have got the shot over Werdum.

The point is that Thomson never deserved the 3rd melendez fight to begin with, and literally only has ONE real good win in the last few years. Yes, Lesnar was bad, but the 155 division is stacked in comparison. Yes, Chael was bad, but he's still the #2 MW in the world.

So what if he deserved the fight against Melendez or not? That's in the past and a lot of people scored the fight for him. Even though he lost, he was the fresher guy at the end. He looked good in that fight and then he obliterated Diaz.

Remember not too long ago the likes of Thomson, Melendez, and Masvidal were just overrated UFC rejects who could never hack it according to the vast majority of members of this forum.

Thomson has been around longer than literally every single top LHW in the world today, taking on some of the biggest and most proven names in the sport. He seems to be firing on all cylinders too.

Thomson is as legit as it gets.

Thompson may have leap frogged a couple of guys, but he's one of the top LWs in the world and I'm sure he'll give Pettis a tough fight. He's a veteran, and I would not be surprised if he beat Pettis. Ultimately, what is a deserving challenger in the UFC? Anyone can be handed a title shot.

Top 5 ufc rankings

1 Benson Henderson - coming off loss
2 Gilbert Melendez - coming off a loss
3 TJ Grant - injured
4 Gray Maynard coming off a loss
5 Josh Thomson

Josh Thompson didn't leap frogged anyone.

Remember not too long ago the likes of Thomson, Melendez, and Masvidal were just overrated UFC rejects who could never hack it according to the vast majority of members of this forum.

Thomson has been around longer than literally every single top LHW in the world today, taking on some of the biggest and most proven names in the sport. He seems to be firing on all cylinders too.

Thomson is as legit as it gets.

To be fair, the average IQ of the UFC fans perpetually stuck in the UFC box is about 100 points lower than the MMA fans who paid attention to the Worldwide MMA scene as a whole.

Keep in mind, these are the very same TUF noobs who once shits on the WEC boys. History tends to repeat itself in the circle of idiots.

How does Healy deserve a shot more if he beats Khabib. Khabib is on a nice streak, but what world-beater has he defeated so far? Not to mention the fact that Josh has already submitted Healy.

I think Thomson-Pettis is an awesome fight. I scored Thomson/Melendez III for Josh (was relieved he lost since I had money on Gil), but it was very competitive. I think it's fair to say that Melendez and Thomson are on the same level, and Thomson definitely has the skill-set to mix it up and make a very interesting fight over Pettis. With Josh's wrestling accumen (combined with the striking she showed vs Nate) I might even favour him. One of the best fights at LW right now, imo, can't wait.

Goig down the list of the top ten at LW, Benson doesn't get it obviously. Gilbert makes the most sense as he recently beat Thomson (anyone saying Thomson won doesn't understand that MMA fights are scored round by round because Gilbert clearly won the first three rounds. Still a very close fight and a great showing by Thomson who decisively took the last two rounds.) and had an excellent performance against Bendo in a fight many here and many fighters thought he won (http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/2...ets-pros-score-henderson-vs-melendez-react-to).

But i understand that's not how it works so we skip him. TJ had the shot but is injured. Grey coming off two losses in a row and can't talk like Chael so he's out. Then you get to Josh who is coming off a KO of the perrenial contender and notoriously iron-chinned Nate Diaz and a close loss in a great fight with Gilbert, and he's ridiculously good looking and American. So it's whatever. Gilbert should have got the fight but business is what business is and Nosh is the next best option. Gil will merc Sanchez mercilessly, Pettis will clobber Thomson, and we'll get to see the true two best lightweights in the world fight after that.

jon-jones-chael-sonnen.jpg

Nothing can top this.

As far as the LW landscape goes, while the division is stacked there aren't many better guysthan Josh who haven't just lost title shots in the last couple of years and who are healthy. So he's not ideal, but not a joke of a contender.

The UFC wants Pettis to fight in Dec. Nobody else was available. Plain and simple. Get over it.

wow

when i was browsing upcoming events on sherdog i figured this was some mistake or placeholder.

I guess TJ isnt back from his injury

Goig down the list of the top ten at LW, Benson doesn't get it obviously. Gilbert makes the most sense as he recently beat Thomson (anyone saying Thomson won doesn't understand that MMA fights are scored round by round because Gilbert clearly won the first three rounds. Still a very close fight and a great showing by Thomson who decisively took the last two rounds.) and had an excellent performance against Bendo in a fight many here and many fighters thought he won (http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/2...ets-pros-score-henderson-vs-melendez-react-to).

But i understand that's not how it works so we skip him. TJ had the shot but is injured. Grey coming off two losses in a row and can't talk like Chael so he's out. Then you get to Josh who is coming off a KO of the perrenial contender and notoriously iron-chinned Nate Diaz and a close loss in a great fight with Gilbert, and he's ridiculously good looking and American. So it's whatever. Gilbert should have got the fight but business is what business is and Nosh is the next best option. Gil will merc Sanchez mercilessly, Pettis will clobber Thomson, and we'll get to see the true two best lightweights in the world fight after that.
Josh Thomson is clearly as deserving as any of the Contenders for a Title Fight.
"Grey coming off two losses in a row". Really? Hmmm
Gil Melendez "an excellent performance against Bendo"? If a glorified sparring match and fighting for a close loss is your criteria for excellent than you nailed it. Neither fighter fought with any sense of urgency. Do you think Gilbert actually deserved to wrest the LW Title from Ben with that showing? I don't.

Yeah i forgot the guida fight for maynard. But that's like, two losses and an inexplicable non-fight. Still not going to get him a shot.

I disagree with your assessment of Melendez's fight with Benson; both were cautious but sometimes when both fighters are a very high level that's how the fight goes. It doesn't mean the rules for fight scoring should change. "Who won the round ?" should be the only basis, and Melendez, in my opinion won three of the rounds.

It's all just opinions though. It doesn't actually matter what you or I think.

He is a pretty good looking guy, tbh.. That might be it. I knew when all those pictures of Noons and Thomson came out when they fought Dana was jelly that those guys were fighting someplace else. He wanted some of that lol..

This is a really good fight btw. I'm going with Pettis.

I can't decide whether the most undeserving is Sonnen against Jones or Edgar against Aldo, but it's going to be pretty hard to top either one of those. I know some smartass Jersey douche will come back with a "Edgar almost won" comment and yes, the fight was competitive, there's no denying that. However, Frankie was coming off not one but TWO losses and had never fought in that weightclass. Giving him that fight was so far beyond stupid it's going to be difficult to explain that in the future when the details have been forgotten.

beating melendez(he got robbed on a bs decison) and koing nate is no easy task.

imo no one better to challenge pettis since grant got injured again

Back