Thomson is possibly the most undeserving challenger ever

Chael Sonnen: Coming off of a finish loss in a lower weightclass.

Nick Diaz: Coming off of a loss and a year long suspension, while there was a challenger who had beat three top ten opponents in a row, including a 12 second KO and a 36 second KO.

Liz Carmouche: Had literally never beaten someone with more wins than losses at the time of the fight, only 6-2 in her career.

Brock Lesnar: Passed over the fighter who just beat him one fight ago with a decision win over Herring.

Thompson is at least coming off of a very impressive finish win over a top ten fighter. I will admit that it's not exactly an epic matchup but it's better than any of these fights.

Once again the UFC isn't a true sport! It falls under competition and entertainment. Take the title out of the picture are you not interested in Thompson vs Pettis? Who cares about the belt. Does a made up belt make a fight better or worse?

Why do people care so much about who deserves a title shot? Sounds like a damn good fight. The UFC exists only to entertain me, like a dancing monkey.

Fucking-A-right! I could care less who deserves shit....ENTERTAIN ME!

At least he's coming off of a win unlike Diaz, Sonnen, and Tate when they got their title shots.

He's more deserving than they were/are by far.

I like Thompson but I was really surprised to see him getting a title shot. I didn't think he was even on the radar. What was his ranking?

I like Thompson but I was really surprised to see him getting a title shot. I didn't think he was even on the radar. What was his ranking?

He's ranked #5 on the UFC rankings. Not sure the outrage by some people he just got done knocking out former #1 contender Nate Diaz in round 2. He's a worthy contender.

Let's actually look at this guy's recent career.

In 2008, he pulls off a shocking upset over Gilbert Melendez, controlling the fight with front kicks.

In his next fight he beats an overmatched Bowman.

At the end of 2009, he rematches Melendez, and the fight is a complete 180, with Melendez dominating the majority of the fight.

Coming off the loss to melendez, thomson fights an underrated healy, and wins with a third round submission in an awesome comeback

Off that win, thomson fought cavalcante. This fight was a robbery, period. Cavalcante won rounds 1 and 3. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1953/Josh-Thomson-vs-JZ-Cavalcante

Off the Cavalcante robbery win, Thomson fought Kawajiri in Japan. Thomson was thoroughly dominated for 15 minutes. This should be two losses in a row.

Off the thrashing by Kawajiri, Thomson fought Noons, and lnp'ed him for 15 minutes. This fight sucked. Badly. But, due to Strikeforce matchmaking, a robbery win, a dominating loss, and a lnp win = title shot.

For whatever reason, Strikeforce decides to make melendez/thomson 3. Everyone thinks thomson is going to get crushed, but he manages to make round 3 competitive, and wins rounds 4 and 5, resulting in a split decision loss.

Then he comes to the UFC, and fairly KO's diaz. It was his biggest win since beating melendez for sure.

But, there is no way all of this amounts to a title shot. Healy/Nurm winner deserves it a lot more at this point. Hell, so does dos anjos.

You want an undeserving challenger then take a look at Thales Leites.

Brock Lesnar: Passed over the fighter who just beat him one fight ago with a decision win over Herring.

I'm pretty sure Mir vs Nog was already set at the time as they were lined up to coach TUF.

And I find it hard to support an argument that a challenger was "undeserving" when he went on to finish the champ.

He has a devastating win over a recent challenger and a series of close fights with another challenger.

How can you say that is worse on the back of recent title fights like Jones vs Sonnen, St. Pierre vs Diaz and the upcoming Rousey vs Tate.

Last edited:
Chael Sonnen: Coming off of a finish loss in a lower weightclass.
To the p4p #1 fighter.

Nick Diaz: Coming off of a loss and a year long suspension, while there was a challenger who had beat three top ten opponents in a row, including a 12 second KO and a 36 second KO.
That most people thought he won.

Liz Carmouche: Had literally never beaten someone with more wins than losses at the time of the fight, only 6-2 in her career.
Actually agree, but come on, this was a special case. Plus the UFC tried to sign cyborg.

Utter nonsense. It was Werdum who was passed over. Mir was tied up fighting Nogueira. Randy Couture is the one to thank for that. Besides, Brock got robbed by Mazagatti in the Mir fight, and should have been 2-0. Also, blame Coleman. He got injured and was supposed to fight Brock instead of Herring.

Thompson is at least coming off of a very impressive finish win over a top ten fighter. I will admit that it's not exactly an epic matchup but it's better than any of these fights.
The point is that Thomson never deserved the 3rd melendez fight to begin with, and literally only has ONE real good win in the last few years. Yes, Lesnar was bad, but the 155 division is stacked in comparison. Yes, Chael was bad, but he's still the #2 MW in the world.

In recent memory it's got to be Chael and Jbj.. that fight really made no sense lol

Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnen, and Liz Carmouche were all this year...

So Thomson gets a title shot and Mendez gets Sanchez! I guess it's time to admit that anyone could replace Joe Silva's job.

Thompson may have leap frogged a couple of guys, but he's one of the top LWs in the world and I'm sure he'll give Pettis a tough fight. He's a veteran, and I would not be surprised if he beat Pettis. Ultimately, what is a deserving challenger in the UFC? Anyone can be handed a title shot.

If we analyze this just in terms of what we've seen inside the octagon it is certainly quick, Thomson seems to have just exploded back on to the scene out of nowhere, but he did so in an dynamic and definitive fashion, TKOing a recent title contender who had never been stopped by strikes in his career and never been finished period in seven years, proving, even if it was with one performance, that he belongs at the top of the lightweight heap. He may not be the most deserving, but the most undeserving? Ever? Pure hyperbole.

Back