Thomson is possibly the most undeserving challenger ever

Winner and NEW LW champion Josh "the punk" Thomson .

He trashed Nate and should have gotten the title fight vs Ben instead Gil cuz he beat him in their last fight too. Stop it ts, Josh is a good opponent.

Thompson arguably beat Melendez, who we all know is legit after seeing Melendez/Bendo. Thomson is coming off a mighty impressive win.

Less deserving shots:

Lutter vs. A. Silva - winning the show was s joke of a way to get a title shot
Serra vs. GSP - see above
Sonnen vs Jones - Sonnen hadn't fought a LHW in about 6 years bad was coming off a loss
Vitor vs Jones - Vitor hadn't fought at LHW in years
Couture vs Sylvia - Couture coming off two KO losses at LHW
Lesnar vs Couture - 1-1 in UFC, only win over Herring...

Need I go on?

If you think Thompson is undeserving you might wanna follow the sport mma not the company UFC

Most undeserving ever? I think TS sees Josh as a big threat and is afraid Pettis might actually lose

Let's actually look at this guy's recent career.

In 2008, he pulls off a shocking upset over Gilbert Melendez, controlling the fight with front kicks.

In his next fight he beats an overmatched Bowman.

At the end of 2009, he rematches Melendez, and the fight is a complete 180, with Melendez dominating the majority of the fight.

Coming off the loss to melendez, thomson fights an underrated healy, and wins with a third round submission in an awesome comeback

Off that win, thomson fought cavalcante. This fight was a robbery, period. Cavalcante won rounds 1 and 3. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1953/Josh-Thomson-vs-JZ-Cavalcante

Off the Cavalcante robbery win, Thomson fought Kawajiri in Japan. Thomson was thoroughly dominated for 15 minutes. This should be two losses in a row.

Off the thrashing by Kawajiri, Thomson fought Noons, and lnp'ed him for 15 minutes. This fight sucked. Badly. But, due to Strikeforce matchmaking, a robbery win, a dominating loss, and a lnp win = title shot.

For whatever reason, Strikeforce decides to make melendez/thomson 3. Everyone thinks thomson is going to get crushed, but he manages to make round 3 competitive, and wins rounds 4 and 5, resulting in a split decision loss.

Then he comes to the UFC, and fairly KO's diaz. It was his biggest win since beating melendez for sure.

But, there is no way all of this amounts to a title shot. Healy/Nurm winner deserves it a lot more at this point. Hell, so does dos anjos.

More undeserving than Chael's shot at JBJ?

i think jt is deserving. he got robbed against melendez and ko'd diaz. he is very underrated and has a great chance at beating the champ.

He isn't even close to being the least deserving challenger.

Well I know MMA Math doesn't always work but Josh gave Gil a very very close right in STrikeforce and Gil gave Bendo a very very close fight. Josh then destroyed Nate who had recently had a title shot.
It's a little odd but everyone else already had fights either lined up or are somewhat unknown and Grant got hurt I believe.

TJ Grant got hurt genius. Thomson is as good a pick as any considering he finished a past title challenger.

Also none of Khabib and Dos Anjos wins were as big as Thomsons win over Nate. Thomson has also been one of the highest ranked LW outside of the UFC for years.

I would have liked to see RDA get a shot at the belt. Dudes been looking really good lately..

As stated if everyone else didn't have matches lined up i'd agree....but Thomson beat the hell out of Diaz, an amazing feat if there ever was one, i'd say he's the best choice they had.

jon-jones-chael-sonnen.jpg

This!!! over and over again, lol

I disagree. We have had fighters getting title shots coming off losses, hell Edgar had lost two in a row ahead of his fight with Aldo.

At least Thomson had a spectacular KO win over a top guy going in to this title fight.

Exactly

Back