Thomson is possibly the most undeserving challenger ever

jon-jones-chael-sonnen.jpg

/thread.

PS- Thomson won the Melendez rubber match. That was a horrendous call and I was almost too sick to my stomach to watch the Cormier/Barnett fight afterwards. TS should watch fights instead of reading about them.

I admit Thomson is a random choice but he's the only good one at the moment with Aldo being on the shelf and Grant having next-to-zero exposure on a main card.

Since Frankie won the belt the priority at LW should be title fights, as often as they can make them. Division is far too deep, you can't wait for the stars to align, just make top 10 title fights and be happy that the shark tank keeps moving along.

There is no one else since Grant os somehow still injured and no he isn't, Chael, Vitor recently against JJ didn't deserve it more than Josh.

Then we can wait. If there is no one else I'm ok with waiting a bit for someone worthy.

Let's actually look at this guy's recent career.

In 2008, he pulls off a shocking upset over Gilbert Melendez, controlling the fight with front kicks.

In his next fight he beats an overmatched Bowman.

At the end of 2009, he rematches Melendez, and the fight is a complete 180, with Melendez dominating the majority of the fight.

Coming off the loss to melendez, thomson fights an underrated healy, and wins with a third round submission in an awesome comeback

Off that win, thomson fought cavalcante. This fight was a robbery, period. Cavalcante won rounds 1 and 3. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1953/Josh-Thomson-vs-JZ-Cavalcante

Off the Cavalcante robbery win, Thomson fought Kawajiri in Japan. Thomson was thoroughly dominated for 15 minutes. This should be two losses in a row.

Off the thrashing by Kawajiri, Thomson fought Noons, and lnp'ed him for 15 minutes. This fight sucked. Badly. But, due to Strikeforce matchmaking, a robbery win, a dominating loss, and a lnp win = title shot.

For whatever reason, Strikeforce decides to make melendez/thomson 3. Everyone thinks thomson is going to get crushed, but he manages to make round 3 competitive, and wins rounds 4 and 5, resulting in a split decision loss.

Then he comes to the UFC, and fairly KO's diaz. It was his biggest win since beating melendez for sure.

But, there is no way all of this amounts to a title shot. Healy/Nurm winner deserves it a lot more at this point. Hell, so does dos anjos.

you haven't watched much mma if you think he is the most undeserving challenger.

Then we can wait. If there is no one else I'm ok with waiting a bit for someone worthy.

No, this is childish, Josh is ranked fifth, there's no problem with him getting this fight. You can't complain about the buildup of contenders if healthy champs are sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

I think people misuse the word "deserve" on here a lot.

Thompsons been top level LW for over a decade.
He's beaten Melendez, McCullough, Franca, Ludwig, Healy, JZ, Noons, and Diaz.

He's definitely not the obvious choice for #1 contender, but I don't think he's "undeserving".

Endless Whiner is more like it.

a Benson rematch would piss everyone off. as would another Gil fight. Maynard just got crushed by Grant and Grant dropped out. Diaz got beat by Josh and Josh IS AVAILABLE.

except for killing the Sanchez/Gil bout this looks like THE ONLY OPTION other than option #3 - having the champ sit for a year.

i truly believe that TS would complain about any of the best 3 options. Endless Whiner it is.

Thompson isn't the best choice, but he's coming off of a really nice win. It works. Bendo just lost. Grant is obviously on the shelf and recovering still. Frankies @ FW. Maynard got finished unfortunately.

Yeah, TS is being quite harsh but I can see his argument. I just don't agree with it. The way in which Thomson finished Diaz is definitely justifiable in warranting a title shot in my opinion.

Thomson was injured in both the Cavalcante and Kawajiri fights.
If he rematches either of those two he wins convincingly IMO.

That being said, I think Pettis will make this look rather easy.

With Aldo and Grant out, Healy and Khabib fighting this weekend, Benson just losing, Melendez having just lost a shot at the title and having a fight with sanchez coming up, and thomson having a razor-thin fight with the guy who got the last shot at the title and knocking out the guy who got the shot before that he is clearly the best option. That or Dos Anjos. Thomson's opponents are higher up the pecking order in my opinion though imo.

Let's actually look at this guy's recent career.

In 2008, he pulls off a shocking upset over Gilbert Melendez, controlling the fight with front kicks.

In his next fight he beats an overmatched Bowman.

At the end of 2009, he rematches Melendez, and the fight is a complete 180, with Melendez dominating the majority of the fight.

Coming off the loss to melendez, thomson fights an underrated healy, and wins with a third round submission in an awesome comeback

Off that win, thomson fought cavalcante. This fight was a robbery, period. Cavalcante won rounds 1 and 3. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1953/Josh-Thomson-vs-JZ-Cavalcante

Off the Cavalcante robbery win, Thomson fought Kawajiri in Japan. Thomson was thoroughly dominated for 15 minutes. This should be two losses in a row.

Off the thrashing by Kawajiri, Thomson fought Noons, and lnp'ed him for 15 minutes. This fight sucked. Badly. But, due to Strikeforce matchmaking, a robbery win, a dominating loss, and a lnp win = title shot.

For whatever reason, Strikeforce decides to make melendez/thomson 3. Everyone thinks thomson is going to get crushed, but he manages to make round 3 competitive, and wins rounds 4 and 5, resulting in a split decision loss.

Then he comes to the UFC, and fairly KO's diaz. It was his biggest win since beating melendez for sure.

But, there is no way all of this amounts to a title shot. Healy/Nurm winner deserves it a lot more at this point. Hell, so does dos anjos.

Wrong

How does this make it any better? They are both retarded match ups. Thompson does not deserve a title shot, that's really the end of that argument.

Do you believe the champ is better off waiting? (serious question)

Because if you don't: who should he fight?

I couldn't disagree more...still young, he's a veteran who had 100% evolved with the sport the past few years .I consider Melendez along with Pettis, the top LW and punk basically Drew ' with Gilbert in their last fight.Alot of people thought he flat out won..He absolutely worked Nate Diaz- which was impressive. .

This is a great matchup where I think well see a great fight as long as it lasts..Outside of Melendez and Grant, I can't think of anyone getting shot.

2/10

TS doesn't even suggest who should fight instead if Thompson, lame.

With Aldo and Grant out, Healy and Khabib fighting this weekend, Benson just losing, Melendez having just lost a shot at the title and having a fight with sanchez coming up, and thomson having a razor-thin fight with the guy who got the last shot at the title and knocking out the guy who got the shot before that he is clearly the best option. That or Dos Anjos. Thomson's opponents are higher up the pecking order in my opinion though imo.

that is 100% logical, and what you don't understand is that sherdoggers would complain about both the earth rotating around the sun AND the sun rotating around the earth. logic has nothing to do with anything.

Back