Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

Best season opener? Maybe excluding pilots.

I am thinking of Scorpion II.

Star Trek made in the previous century (TOS, TNG, DS9) :

Great.

Star Trek made in this century (the rest) :

Crap.

giphy.gif

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/the-classic-star-trek-episode-gene-roddenberry-hated

The great season 3 episode "Family" is 30 years old today. Here's a great new article about it, how how Gene Roddenberry hated it, because it wasn't star trek, and family members wouldn't have bad blood in the 24th century....

Great article. Wow, sometimes I really think it is amazing how successful TNG became despite Roddenberry.

Also, and it sucks to write this, but had he lived, we'd probably never have seen DS9.

No love for VOY, ENT?

They’re not offensively bad like the modern so-called trek, of course. Leagues better than the current shit. There are elements & characters I like here & there. But ultimately, they fail the real test of a show: Do I want to do a complete series rewatch? Nah. Rewatch TOS, TNG, & DS9? Hell yeah.

They’re not offensively bad like the modern so-called trek, of course. Leagues better than the current shit. There are elements & characters I like here & there. But ultimately, they fail the real test of a show: Do I want to do a complete series rewatch? Nah. Rewatch TOS, TNG, & DS9? Hell yeah.
There's quite a few fantastic episodes of Voyager

But there's even more absolutely terrible episodes

There's quite a few fantastic episodes of Voyager

But there's even more absolutely terrible episodes
I felt like Voyager started out slow early on, with poorly developed characters, but unlike TNG and DS9 those characters never developed into a cast we could really like. The characters sucked for the entire 7 year existence of the show, and on top of that the writing was much weaker than TNG or DS9 in the later years of those shows.

I felt like Voyager started out slow early on, with poorly developed characters, but unlike TNG and DS9 those characters never developed into a cast we could really like. The characters sucked for the entire 7 year existence of the show, and on top of that the writing was much weaker than TNG or DS9 in the later years of those shows.

let's put the Voyager crew in deep space nine situation and the deep space nine crew in Voyager situation

let's put the Voyager crew in deep space nine situation and the deep space nine crew in Voyager situation
Voyager would have been a shitload better with those characters, and DS9 would be annoying as shit with some well-written episodes.

Last edited:
Great article. Wow, sometimes I really think it is amazing how successful TNG became despite Roddenberry.

Also, and it sucks to write this, but had he lived, we'd probably never have seen DS9.
TNG really took off after Micheal Pillar got involved in season 3. They knew around then, that Gene was mostly getting in the way, so they still let him be part of the process, and showed him early stories they were breaking, but then Berman would basically hide production from him.

Gene in TNG wanted no conflict between the crew at all. That proved to make a pretty boring show. Look he's the great bird of the galaxy, and was a great writer in his day, but he wasn't the same after TOS.

The inability to have good character focused episodes was probably voyagers main weakness I'd say, I think there are a few around the likes of The Doctor, Torres and Seven but not to anything like the same degree as TNG and DS9. It was really depending on interesting well written plots for most of its best episodes, two partners especially tended to be strong.

The best character on the show was a one off.

images

I had no idea Jonathan Banks played a DS9 ep

Back