The Pub

That sounds awesome. I've entertained similar ideas of starting a warehouse gym. In my town the only gym is the hospital's, where they don't have a squat rack or power rack. The DB's only go up to 60lbs, and of course, you can't use chalk or drop the weights.

If I was more motivated I would go around and get a consensus if an authentic gym would be something people would want. What would be hard would be competing with the hospital's prices. I think it's about 20 bucks a month.

Depends on how serious people are. Planet Fitness is like $20/month or something. I really have no idea because the rate changes all the time, but let's pretend it's actually $20... I already pay $50/month to go to a gym that isn't even that ideal for me, but it's the best possible scenario. If you have enough interested parties that are serious, they'll join. Finding a proper Oly/powerlifting gym is damn near impossible.

The only advice I can offer you is this: if this is what your heart truly desires, then go for it. Mistakes will be made, no doubt, but don't ever get discouraged by them.

And another thing, you need to establish your gym as a "niche gym," not just another one of those commercial gyms. Explain to people what kind of training you do and what it entails. Showing pictures and videos on your smartphone help too. I hope that helps, good luck.

Thanks for the tip.

I would probably do something like Elliott Hulse's Strength Camp. Come in here to lift heavy shit.

Depends on how serious people are. Planet Fitness is like $20/month or something. I really have no idea because the rate changes all the time, but let's pretend it's actually $20... I already pay $50/month to go to a gym that isn't even that ideal for me, but it's the best possible scenario. If you have enough interested parties that are serious, they'll join. Finding a proper Oly/powerlifting gym is damn near impossible.

We do have sort of a powerlifting gym, but it's invitation only. It's called the Iron Mafia. Should be called Juice Mafia.

Crossfit gyms often charge exorbitant rates, and enough of them seem to be successful. While we can criticize many things about crossfit, they do show that a gym that's more similar to an oly or powerlifting gym (as compared to a commercial gym) in terms of equipment and environment can be successful. It's just a matter of figuring out how to sell people on powerlifting/weightlifting/etc without the huge crossfit marketing machine.

They charge exorbitant rates because they have the brand recognition. That and people these days seem to equate olympic lifting and powerlifting to Crossfit. Numerous times, people came up to me while I was training and asked me if I was doing Crossfit. It made my blood boil.

I believe it's a fight to the death scenario. I'll probably hear the specifics about it later on.

You should bring cameras or a film crew and make a documentary type thing. Behind the scenes before going, training, the fights and the aftermath. That would be sick

Kiwi, if you are ever in Canada and need sparring partners. I can set you up with a few of my patients. Fuck me I wanted to hit a few of them yesterday!

Lol. I do hear Canada is the best place to go for skiing...

You should bring cameras or a film crew and make a documentary type thing. Behind the scenes before going, training, the fights and the aftermath. That would be sick

I'd imagine we would do something like that. My friend who told me about it is a professional editor, does a few programmes on TV, been involved in a couple movies.

Nice looking Pub, guys!

Just got back from Hawaii, did a little hiking. This is the view North from the South East tip of Oahu, Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail:

10923563_10205905495864839_6382962884081206620_n.jpg

I'm in Dallas next week, doubt the pictures (or the Mai Tais) will be as nice.

Those look like big hills I'd love to go to hawaii.

Did some kayaking today, just a skills camp in a swimming pool. Rolling and wet exits and stuff. I need a real whitewater boat now.

I love Kayaking, but I havn't gone for ages, shit I havn't done any whate water since I moved to fucking china....Went sea kayakaing though.

I'm just getting into whitewater now, love it so far. Thinking about a Jackson Zen.

Apparently Greg Plitt is dead. Hit by a train.

Such a shame, he seemed like he was right on track.

What did you guys think about Greg Plitt? I watched some of his videos back in the day but couldn't really get in his mind set. A bit over the top if you ask me. Still I guess he was pretty popular in the fitness world so it's tragic way that he died.

I have a kayak, but just use it to paddle around the tidal rivers around here, throw a line in the water here and there. Its only 12 ft and gets pretty scary closer to the Ocean when the waves pick up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back