Reaction score
Welcome to the Pub!

Welcome O' Brother of the Iron.

Put away your cares,
wash the rust and blood stained chalk from your hands,
order up a pint of beer.

Time stands still here.

v085-welcome-pub.jpg

This is a lovely pub (and one I'm walking into drunk on opening time).

I like having just a regular pub. Nice to see it, gents.

I just posted this in the last pub:

The risk taking thing is particularly relevant for me at the moment as I've got a meeting tomorrow which will go a long way to deciding whether I fuck off my 'steady' job and start a new company with a couple of other guys. I know a few people that have done it and not many that regret their decision.

Out of interest, anyone here run their own company?

I don't have any experience myself but anyone I know who has started their own business has been happy they did so, even if it failed. I know a couple people who were quite successful. One started a RFID related company, another created a basketball coaching app for iPads, and a third opened a CrossFit gym and just recently had to move into a larger location.

lulz

Totally need the Price is Right fail tuba

I just opened up a warehouse gym recently with zero business experience. In the past 4 weeks, I was wracked with doubts and uncertainties about the viabilty of my business, let alone if I was ever going to start it up in the first place. Lots of gyms come and fail, including Crossfit, and those that manage to stay above water don't see profits coming in until their 2nd or even 3rd year. Competition is harsh especially when you're in area that's saturated with similar type of businesses. It's a scary thought sometimes.

Well, the latter has been accomplished so I'm not worried about that anymore, but I'm scrambling to find clients to train to sustain my income. Luckily, rent is cheap and monthly expenses is not bad either. And you know what? Despite all the shit I've went through and the sleepless nights I had to endure to get this shit started, I have not a single iota of regret about doing this. I'm happy with what I'm doing and thankful that I have good friends and mentors with business expertise who more than eager to help me out.

Tl;dr:

Just opened up a business. And I'm happy. No regrets. Do what you want to do and don't let anyone hold you back. Fuck cynics and haters.

I don't have any experience myself but anyone I know who has started their own business has been happy they did so, even if it failed. I know a couple people who were quite successful. One started a RFID related company, another created a basketball coaching app for iPads, and a third opened a CrossFit gym and just recently had to move into a larger location.

Yeah, I know a few guys who have started tech companies (most aren't actually that bright) and they're all millionaires or close to it now.

I just opened up a warehouse gym recently with zero business experience. In the past 4 weeks, I was wracked with doubts and uncertainties about the viabilty of my business, let alone if I was ever going to start it up in the first place. Lots of gyms come and fail, including Crossfit, and those that manage to stay above water don't see profits coming in until their 2nd or even 3rd year. Competition is harsh especially when you're in area that's saturated with similar type of businesses. It's a scary thought sometimes.

Well, the latter has been accomplished so I'm not worried about that anymore, but I'm scrambling to find clients to train to sustain my income. Luckily, rent is cheap and monthly expenses is not bad either. And you know what? Despite all the shit I've went through and the sleepless nights I had to endure to get this shit started, I have not a single iota of regret about doing this. I'm happy with what I'm doing and thankful that I have good friends and mentors with business expertise who more than eager to help me out.

Tl;dr:

Just opened up a business. And I'm happy. No regrets. Do what you want to do and don't let anyone hold you back. Fuck cynics and haters.

That's awesome, best of luck with it all.

This pub will be good. We won't look like morons for having a seasonally irrelevant pub.

Guys, I'm going to train every other day. So I will train 4 times a week every week. Thanks, TheJosh for showing me behind the looking glass and not allowing myself to be confined by your silly concept of time.

Guys, I'm going to train every other day. So I will train 4 times a week every week. Thanks, TheJosh for showing me behind the looking glass and not allowing myself to be confined by your silly concept of time.

Train once every two days = 4 times a week.
Therefore, train once every day = train 8 times a week.

Why aren't you bending the laws of space and time to achieve greater gains, bro?

Also, I just got a very interesting little proposition from a friend. All going well, in August I might be going over to Singapore with a kiwi team for a lethwei match for cash money. So, all going well, that's on the horizon.

Would you be setting up a tech / comms company? I know a few who have gone out and setup by themselves or with partners over the years and done very well. We probably know some of the same people if we talking comms.

Also, I just got a very interesting little proposition from a friend. All going well, in August I might be going over to Singapore with a kiwi team for a lethwei match for cash money. So, all going well, that's on the horizon.

That would be cool kiwi! I'm not too familiar with Lethwei, would that be bareknuckle? Is it the same as Burmese boxing?

Best thing about competing in Asia....Cash Money....even for smaller events, even big interclub events pay out for wins and sometimes performances. ITs dope.

Pretty cool, mate! Hope it turns out well.

That would be cool kiwi! I'm not too familiar with Lethwei, would that be bareknuckle? Is it the same as Burmese boxing?

Yep. Headbutts also allowed, and you can only win by KO.

Best thing about competing in Asia....Cash Money....even for smaller events, even big interclub events pay out for wins and sometimes performances. ITs dope.

Yeah. Another big plus is that it'd help me secure some pro fights here, as well as possibly more international fights.

Pretty cool, mate! Hope it turns out well.

Haha thanks man, I really hope so too.

Sup, Sprite!

A bit of this, a bit of that. Switched my gym focus a bit, decided to do a strongman contest upon my return to the great white north. Because 1) strongman is cool as hell and I've always wanted to, but didn't because I'd zero in every event. 2) I'm hoping something new will get my head out of my ass and regain some focus in the gym (so far, that's working, I'm excited for every workout now). So now I'm doing a lot more overhead and conventional work.

On non gym stuff, this is my buddies video from the island and it pretty much sums up what's up every day here.

Back