The Mir Lock

That move is hard as hell to catch anyone with from the bottom if they're grappling competent. It's a bit easier from the top though.

RESPECTFULLY, Pete Williams is EXTREMELY grappling competent. Look at his record, most of his wins are subs. Just saying.

If he hits the mat in an eventual fight with Werdum, you'll see a very limited Mir.

Nope. He beats Werdum on the ground, just like he beat Nog on the ground.

Okay, I'll let you hop bro!

Just let me hop bro!

2r45549.gif

The thing is, Minotauro isn't even close to Fabricio's level in BJJ (currently, and for quite a while). Not hating on Nog, it's just a fact and I think he would even admit it, just as Mir admitted he would try to 'box' with Werdum at all costs in an eventual fight.

And if it were a BJJ match, you'd be right. But I think Mir has proven multiple times that he is the best HW MMA grappler on the planet.

Idk man, did you see Nog vs Werdum? On the ground it was extremely back and forth with each of them having their moments. Maybe in pure jiu-jitsu Werdum is on a completely different level but Nog kept up with him when they fought

Haven't seen it in a long time, but I don't recall Nog doing anything all that special on the ground in that fight besides avoiding bad positions. I also think Werdum's improved, even jiu-jitsu wise, since that fight.

Let's say I don't have a good feeling for Nog's chances when they fight. Werdum's just coming into his prime. Nog hasn't been since their first fight.

RESPECTFULLY, Pete Williams is EXTREMELY grappling competent. Look at his record, most of his wins are subs. Just saying.

Well I did say it was hard, not impossible. I'll stand by that statement. Anyone can have a brain fart after all, but it's still not a move that's going to catch many aware people from the bottom that often.

I think he can pull that off on Barry and possibly Hunt.

You just gave me an idea..How awesome of a send of retirement fight would it be for Mir to tap somebody with this?

Too bad it won't be DC..

And if it were a BJJ match, you'd be right. But I think Mir has proven multiple times that he is the best HW MMA grappler on the planet.

Mir himself disagrees with you.

I know that Werdum is better on the ground.. but it's funny because he seems better in a more traditional BJJ style.

Frank has a very unique style where he basically grabs something and torques it. Doesn't matter what it is or what position (he rarely tries to get good positions, instead just dives for submissions)

Werdum is the exact opposite, he'd rather try to mount you than go for a risky leg lock

The most basic BJJ term goes: Position before submission.

Not taking away from Frank, he's a beast. It's just the saying.

Well, he got easily stiffled on the ground against Brock at UFC 100, definitely outgrappled then.

I think that Mir had proved multiple times that his submissions are absolutely deadly (most certainly best in HW MMA), but his positional game always had a lot of holes. Same with TDs.

Nope. He beats Werdum on the ground, just like he beat Nog on the ground.

I doubt he'll beat Werdum on the ground I think the only reason he beat Nog on the ground is Nog got cocky.

Did you not notice that Mir had him in lockdown? Hard to hop out of that....

He was not in lockdown. For that lock you have the right leg over their leg and the left leg across the body like a scissor sweep.

As for the reason we don't see that much, sweat. With a gi I get that all the time, but nogi it gets too slippery.

Anyone who compares Nog's grappling to to Werdum's is either stupid or trolling.

Nog got subbed by friggin Ricco Rodriguez in ADCC.

Yet prior to the 2nd Mir fight, the vast majority of fans and pundits had Mir and Nog as the 2 best HW MMA grapplers. Last I checked, ADCC aint the UFC....

Back