The Mir Lock

Joe_Armstrong

Starfleet Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Why don't we see this move used more in the UFC ?

tumblr_mbsj5zROKf1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

UFC 36 - Frank Mir vs Pete Williams

Discuss

Mir's a bad man.

After the Nogueira fight, I remove all limitations in what I believe Mir can do on the mat.

Frank Mir was wizard subbing people more than 100 UFC's ago.

The real problem with the Mir lock is it requires you to be fighting Pete Williams.

I think he can pull that off on Barry and possibly Hunt.

Mir's a bad man.

After the Nogueira fight, I remove all limitations in what I believe Mir can do on the mat.

If he hits the mat in an eventual fight with Werdum, you'll see a very limited Mir.

I would say:

1. Not enough Mirs.
2. Not enough Williams's.

And it's not very likely to happen without both of those provided.

If he hits the mat in an eventual fight with Werdum, you'll see a very limited Mir.

Everybody said the same thing about Nog and a rattled Mir, nearly KO'd, tooled Nog on the ground and then snapped his arm in half.

You might very well be right, but I've heard that feeling before with Nogueira.

The thing is, Minotauro isn't even close to Fabricio's level in BJJ (currently, and for quite a while). Not hating on Nog, it's just a fact and I think he would even admit it, just as Mir admitted he would try to 'box' with Werdum at all costs in an eventual fight.

I disagree.

This is one of the best matches we haven't had the privilege of witnessing yet.

I've hit this move rolling in matches before so it's not entirely impossible.

It's just really hard to get in position for.

Everybody said the same thing about Nog and a rattled Mir, nearly KO'd, tooled Nog on the ground and then snapped his arm in half.

The whole grappling exchange was Nog going for a d'arce, Mir reversing and locking a submission which he was able to mantain. That isn't what i call tooling. It was just a nice display of skills against an overzealous opponent.

My way of thinking, too, homie. Mir's a killer on the ground. A

A death duel with Fabricio would have my attention. I was wanting Nogueira to beat Mir, but Mir took my ass on a heartbreaking roller coaster ride, and it's excellent drama.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/2/3/2768801/fabricio-werdum-ufc-143-frank-mir-submissions-grappling

Frank Mir talked exclusively to TATAME Magazine said he's not the best grappler in MMA's heavyweight division.

The American, who in last December submitted Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, said this "title" belongs to a Brazilian. "When people compliment my Jiu-Jitsu I also say (Fabricio) Werdum's is better than mine", Mir said, who through his career defeated names like Brock Lesnar, Tim Sylvia and Roberto Traven using the gentle art.

Would love to see a fight between them, Werdum's better everywhere IMO but there's no certainties in MMA once the fight starts.

Back