The Mir Lock

Particularly if its no Gi, its quite easy to pull out or push in really deep to defend against it, its only at the in between moment that your really vulnerable. So the guy putting it on has to be quick, get a tight overhook and get it on quite a way (i.e. torque your elbow inside your hip), before its to late to escape.

Plus, its an opportunist move. Folk don't normally give you it because they should never have their hand down there, if they do, they automatically feel vulnerable because its an unsafe place to have their hand in general, and they are constantly aware of that, so it wont be there long. Conversely, it happens so rarely that you, sorry (I) end up not looking for it and when given the opportunity, dont react quickly enough. In short, if your on top your used to never putting your hands there but if your on bottom, you need to remind yourself about that particular lock so that your in position and if your in position for an overhook, the guy on top is going to be hyper aware of danger. Once you have had your elbow toques inside like that your body remembers.

I do catch it now and again though, particularly if i am getting mauled by someone stronger and better than me. The pressure makes me want to hold closed guard more and since then i remember about it and maybe catch them - once lol

LOL this.

Williams' career highlight is this moment:

23vavme.jpg

Yep, I think this fight was before Coleman heard of training cardio. He was so gassed that my grandma probably could have KO'd him.

take a peak at Mirs let positioning. Hes basically giving up side mount. With nothing holding them in position, most people would just get up or at least move their body to get away from that.

He's basically in the scissor sweep position.

Simply "stepping over" isn't possible because Mir's left leg is across the waiste and his right leg has Pete's left leg tied up.

and of course Mir has the arm locked in too.

It's an absolutely valid submission. We will see more someday, when someone is as good at it as Mir was there. Same as there are only a handful of twisters in MMA history. Obscure submissions are just as real as armbar.

It's an absolutely valid submission. We will see more someday, when someone is as good at it as Mir was there. Same as there are only a handful of twisters in MMA history. Obscure submissions are just as real as armbar.

You said it, Pete.
qft

If he hits the mat in an eventual fight with Werdum, you'll see a very limited Mir.

I disagree. This would be much closer than you think.

Good point. I use this one all the time in training. As a blue, I caught a few browns with it, us because they had never seen it.

Back