The Godfather vs Jaws

Who is king of the 70s?

• The Godfather

• Jaws

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sorry. I will never get over all the schmoes who actually flooded IMDB after that movie came out to put it above the iconic movie which is The Godfather.

That was about as much of a "Fuck This Gay Earth" moment as there will ever be.
You just ruined my day.

Well that's something we shall have to remedy, isn't it?

FCC-Braveheart-Argyle.jpg
Nope. That would be a good conversation piece. Like not having facebook or twitter.

You just ruined my day.

Oh you missed that debacle?

Yes, it was certainly a depressing demonstration of how cyber-centric Millenials could influence the judging of quality cinema through click-spamming.

Thankfully both Godfather 1 and 2 are above The Dark Knight at this time; however The Dark Knight is still rated over Schindler's List so progress in recovery is still incremental.

Jews should protest, me thinks.

I still watch Jaws at least once a year for the last several decades.

I've tried to get into The Godfather multiple times and never have made it through. It just doesn't work for me and I love Goodfellas so it's not the genre.

Oh you missed that debacle?

Yes, it was certainly a depressing demonstration of how cyber-centric Millenials could influence the judging of quality cinema through click-spamming.

Thankfully both Godfather 1 and 2 are above The Dark Knight at this time; however The Dark Knight is still rated over Schindler's List so progress in recovery is still incremental.

Jews should protest, me thinks.
Idk why, but I want to blame @Roca for this.

I just ran across something where the guy was asking, "Why is The Godfather considered THE classic film of the 70s?" He then proposed that Jaws was the superior film and should be regarded as such.

I'm not sure I've ever thought of The Godfather as THE film of the 70s, but I see his point. Much like Citizen Kane, it is often held up as one of the very best examples of cinema. Statements like, "I mean, it's not The Godfather, but I thought it was a pretty good movie" are commonly heard.

Where does Sherdog stand on this? If you could only watch one of these two films again, which one do you go with, Coppola or Spielberg?

And bear in mind we're only talking about the first films in the two series, so forget about everything else.

This is possibly the most absurd poll I have ever seen. Anyone who picks Jaws must be trolling. The Godfather is a masterpiece. Jaws is not.

Jaws is more entertaining but the Godfather is obviously the better film. It's like comparing a cheeseburger to a Porterhouse steak.

Why? I've only ever seen people insist The Godfather was a great film but when I ask why they mostly just say "dude" or "C'mon" or "dude, C'mon". Just wondering what you thought was great about it.

I love The Godfather. Part II might be the greatest movie of all time for me.

I definitely have to watch both again soon. With my mature eyes.

I definitely have to watch both again soon. With my mature eyes.
I watched for the first time in when I was in middle school and had no idea what was going on. Rewatched it later when I was in college and loved it. It's just hard to know what's going on sometimes. Maybe do a quick read of the wiki summary to get caught up to speed before watching.

I watched for the first time in when I was in middle school and had no idea what was going on. Rewatched it later when I was in college and loved it. It's just hard to know what's going on sometimes. Maybe do a quick read of the wiki summary to get caught up to speed before watching.

I watched it young and I watched it distracted. Gonna give it my full attention some time soon.

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time but the Godfather is probably the better film.

I love The Godfather. Part II might be the greatest movie of all time for me.

That's interesting to me. I much prefer the first but a lot of people seem to prefer 2.

Back