• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Godfather vs Jaws

Who is king of the 70s?

• The Godfather

• Jaws

Results are only viewable after voting.
G

Guestx

I just ran across something where the guy was asking, "Why is The Godfather considered THE classic film of the 70s?" He then proposed that Jaws was the superior film and should be regarded as such.

I'm not sure I've ever thought of The Godfather as THE film of the 70s, but I see his point. Much like Citizen Kane, it is often held up as one of the very best examples of cinema. Statements like, "I mean, it's not The Godfather, but I thought it was a pretty good movie" are commonly heard.

Where does Sherdog stand on this? If you could only watch one of these two films again, which one do you go with, Coppola or Spielberg?

And bear in mind we're only talking about the first films in the two series, so forget about everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH I never saw really saw what the obsession was with The Godfather. A fine film, sure, but I don't really think it's spectacular.

I love Jaws though. I'm probably in the extreme minority who will vote this way though.

The Gofather is a great saga, but i didnt enjoy it as much as i did watching Jaws

i can only watch greaseballs talking to eachother thinking they are so cool for so long

Well The Godfather was definitely great acting but what Spielberg was able to do in Jaws was remarkable for the time and to me I give it the nod.

TBH I never saw really saw what the obsession was with The Godfather. A fine film, sure, but I don't really think it's spectacular.

I love Jaws though. I'm probably in the extreme minority who will vote this way though.

Then you don't know what a spectacular film looks like.

You can not like it, but there's something wrong if you don't see the merits of it

Jaws works better if you're kind of young the first time you see it

the Godfather works better if you're kind of older when you see it

Last edited:
Then you don't know what a spectacular film looks like.

You can not like it, but there's something wrong if you don't see the merits of it
This is the kind of response I was expecting. Acting? That movie has some of the best you'll ever see, I give it that. That's really the only thing that makes it memorable for me. I don't even remember what it was about.

818836ff9c9d37e7bd9d27b16cec13ae--the-godfather-poster-godfather-movie.jpg

This is the kind of response I was expecting. Acting? That movie has some of the best you'll ever see, I give it that. That's really the only thing that makes it memorable for me. I don't even remember what it was about.

It's the kind of response one should expect when making a bad post

This is like Fedor vs Ali, man.

I like Jaws, but I would have to say The Godfather is the superior film.

I still haven't seen a Godfather film

<{CMPALM}>

The Godfather by a considerable margin.

Just works better if you're kind of young the first time you see it

the Godfather works better if you're kind of older when you see it

I bet this is true. I think I've watched The Godfather twice. Once I was real young and didn't enjoy it. The other time was with a lady that considered herself a film buff and I didn't really pay much attention to be honest. Just the other day I was thinking I should give it another watch.

I've seen Jaws over 100 times. If I had to pick which I could watch again as the TS asks I'm going with Jaws. Better movie? I'm going with Jaws also.

Back