The 2022 Heavies' Awards - Poster of the Year (FrankieNYC Award) FINALS - Winner: BoxerMaurits

You have two (2) VOTES. Who is your 2022 Heavies' Poster of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of the image searches for the sherbro people were a little...... Non-PC, I'll put it that way. No images or the FBI will come knocking...

I might concoct a thread later about the history of our magnificent people. I only learned of our sacred homeland this very day.
I humbly suggest “Shoop Our Sherbro Ancestors.” I can contribute to the history.

Hey @PurpleStorm , thanks for the interview:D

I love this community as a whole. So many different personalities, all with the same passion: combat sports.
Personally, I enjoy discussing (potential/upcoming) fights and other stuff with all the great posters here, make (hopefully:)) interesting threads that lead to fun discussions/conversations, break news, watch all the amazing shoops and join the always fun PBP-discussion from time-to-time.

Man, I’ve been to a lot of events the last few years. Not one of them was a stinker, all of them were special in their own way (even the Badr Hari vs Arek Wrzosek rematch in March last year where me and my dad had to run for 200 coked out Polish hooligans lol)
Most memorable… I’ll list a few of them.

Rico Verhoeven vs Badr Hari 2:
Dec. 19, 2019
Badr was winning that fight, knocking Rico down 2 times. After the second knockdown in round 3 Rico, the long reigning champion, looked like finished goods, and moments later Badr injured himself with a spinning heelkick (looking for a spectacular finish ofcourse, but so dump, he should’ve finished Rico with his hands). So yeah, that was a very anticlimactic end to a great night and my first live combat sports experience, but it also learned me how unpredictable the sport is, which only adds value to it. Also, Badr’s walkout was truly electrifying. I’ve never experienced something like that before, and that’s where I fell in love with attending combat sports events I think. Gave me goosebumps.

Badr Hari vs Arek Wrzosek 1:
During 2020 and the biggest part of 2021 I wasn’t able to attend events due to the covid-pandemic. Though Sep. 4, 2021 the wait was finally over.
I think we all know the story of this fight. Badr was beating Arek up, knocking him down 3 times and truly dominating the fight, needing one more knockdown to finish the fight and just at that moment he got hit by that hail-mary highkick from Arek. I really couldn’t believe my eyes hahaha. I filmed the last minute of that. I’ve shared it a few times before I think but will do it again (iCloud-link). Just watch my reaction lol.
Also, huge respect for Arek. The guy showed tremendous heart for not giving up when it seemed like there was no way of ever winning that fight. But in the end, he did win. I was rooting super hard for Badr, but Arek won a fan that night.

Last minute of the fight filmed by me:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/070Rx5XLqYZzgInRV_bAoITUw

View attachment 963420

Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk 1:
Sep. 25, 2021
The event took place in the sold-out Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London and the stakes were high: WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO world heavyweight titles on the line. The ambiance was great with 70k people singing songs like Sweet Caroline etc , those British crowds are insane. Usyk was quite a big underdog, but prior the fight I was telling some drunk Britains I expected the Ukrainian to win a decision, which ultimately happened, and they told me I was crazy hahah. That day was a tremendous experience! Fireworks blasted through the roof during AJ’s walkout, they really made a show out of it.
So far that’s the first and only boxing event I attended

View attachment 963422

Rico Verhoeven vs Jamal Ben Saddik 3:
Oct. 23, 2021
One of the craziest fights I’ve ever seen! I really lost my shit during the fight lol.
Top event all around

Badr Hari vs Arek Wrzosek 2:
Mar. 19, 2022
Like I said above, me and my dad had to run for 200 coked out Polish Legia Warschau hooligans. Was a shame though, because of them we couldn’t see the last round of Badr - Arek (fight got cancelled after the 2nd round because of the riots) and Jamal Ben Saddik vs Levi Rigters. Really unfortunate situation, but I’m glad we made it out safe. Those hooligans were roided gorilla’s lol (Arek is one of them, and it’s likely those hooligans would return to future events with Arek fighting on it, so that’s the reason GLORY terminated Arek’s contract)

View attachment 963430
View attachment 963428

I also witnessed the GLORY-debut of the young up-and-coming Jay Overmeer. He’s future championship material for sure

View attachment 963426

UFC London & UFC Paris:
Jul. 23, 2022 and Sep. 4, 2022
I think everyone knows about these two, I made a thread about both event-experiences that got quite some attention on the boards. Went to UFC London with some friends, and went to UFC Paris with my dad.
Awesome experience !!
Also, I made it to the international broadcast at UFC London;)

Badr Hari vs Alistair Overeem 3:
Oct. 8, 2022
I did the PBP and quite some promotion for this one, so I guess most of you know about it aswell.
Badr and Reem are my two idols. I support them in every fight they do, like really hard, so this fight was kinda weird, but meant a lot to me.
Awesome event. Also some nostalgia to see Badr and Reem finish what they started in 2009. I couldn’t help myself but purchase a signed event-poster with their signatures on it. Those two guys are legends.

I also went to GLORY 81 (Jamal Ben Saddik vs Benny Adegbuyi), Aug. 20, 2022 and Levels Fight League 6, Oct. 2, 2022
I made a thread about those events aswell

Ofcourse one of my biggest hobbies is watching combat sports. Also, I’m doing boxing myself.
Here’s some footage from my training with Reem:
Don’t mind my kicks and knees.
I’m a boxer and the exercises were all kickboxing combo’s:D
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ebLpf5TTvq7-IRXw9-DsRgBw
This pad session was with Reem’s manager.
A very nice guy with a ton of fighting-knowledge:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0986rD5r2B7k-cwlE_IjMsuAA

But more importantly I really like to spend time with family and friends. I live in a village (about 20k residents) and have a close group of friends. Aside of that, almost everyone of my generation (and the ones above and below us) knows each other and is cool with each other, so that’s really nice. In the weekends we like to visit a club in one of the city’s near us, visit a festival every now and then or just low key drink a beer at the local pub or at someones home. I don’t play football myself anymore, just boxing, but at sundays I like to watch my friends football game, and ofcourse participate in what we call “the third half” (drinking a shitload of beer at the clubhouse). After that, we eat something at a cafetaria or grillroom. And after that, (if it’s up to me:D) we head towards the local pub.

I officially joined in August of 2020, but before that I already was around here for quite some time reading discussions as a guest… just lurking.
When I decided to sign up I was mainly active in the kickboxing/muay thai subforum, having some nice discussions over there with other members, so they already know me a little longer I guess.
At that time I also checked out the UFC Discussion and I was reading a lot of threads, but I think that in the beginning I felt like that part of the boards was too big with too many people and discussions around to properly integrate and participate in it (maybe it seemed a bit chaotic to me towards the smaller subforums that I was used to).
So outside of some sporadic posts I wasn’t very active on there (I was not posting a lot, though I did follow the discussions).

Over time I started posting more regularly in the Heavies. I think I started doing so around mid to late 2021. At that time I was using a different username and no AV, so maybe that made me less recognizable aswell.

Since late 2021 / the start of 2022 I consider myself a very active poster in the UFC discussion.
Maybe still not very recognizable (though I’m sure a few posters recognized me back then aswell), but that changed when I made the “I just met Alistair Overeem” thread.
Since then people on here know who I am because of that thread (and the fact I’m using an AV) and I feel like that has contributed to me having a more recognizable character on Sherdog, which also resulted in having more personal interaction with other posters, which makes it even more fun to be here :)

So yeah, a few days after making that thread I changed my username and started using an AV (and became plat), and I feel like from then on I only started to become more and more active on Sherdog.
I also post in the boxing sub every now and then.

Hahaha, American Pie:p
No I just enjoy good food (and a lot of it:))
I really appreciate a good meal. At times we go to some nice restaurants, and I like to explore new things there.
But I also really enjoy to just eat fries with snacks from a local cafetaria together with my family or friends. Most of the times at sunday after finishing “the third half” at our football clubhouse, we bike to the local grillroom to eat a pizza or “kapsalon”, delicious:D
Or “boerenkool met rookworst” at home.
About alcohol, I just drink beer. At times I can enjoy something stronger, but normally in the weekends I just drink beer.

I admire my mom and dad, big and little bro, and my dog.
Like you’ve read above, I really enjoy to hang out with friends. Also, we’ve a close family from both my dads and mothers side.

(BAN INCOMING) jk lol
No I don’t think so man. I’m here just to have a good time with y’all.

To have a freaking good time!
I look forward to spend time with my friends and family. Around July we move to a new house that we started to build early 2022. I’ve always lived in our current house so it’s a bit weird for me that we’re moving out of our house, but on the other hand it’s really cool because it’s a house that we designed almost all by ourselves it and meets all our wishes. It’s basically my parents dreamhouse. It took some time, but now I’m really looking forward to it!
To see the house get of the ground step by step over the span of 1,5/2 years is super cool.
I also really hope everyone around me stays healthy. That’s very important and sometimes people forget that everything you have today, is no guarantee for tomorrow.
I also look forward to keep spending time on the boards with all of you. I love this place.

I’m fucking poster of the year!! Dana, Dana, 50G’s babyyyyyy
<FookIsThatGuy>

giphy.gif

jk jk. I read every word. I read every line:D:D

Shad belt. LMAO.

That's great.
I so badly want Shad to be ok with Shadface at this stage in his life... He's a good guy, and it is still genuinely hilarious.

He must have seen 1000s of images by now, and he surely knows it's not going away - I'd love to see him embrace it... A t-shirt, or perhaps even a colourful cushion...

@BoxerMaurits knows what his mission is... If he succeeds it would be the greatest accomplishment of all time by any sherbro ever.

We are all with him.

I so badly want Shad to be ok with Shadface at this stage in his life... He's a good guy, and it is still genuinely hilarious.

He must have seen 1000s of images by now, and he surely knows it's not going away - I'd love to see him embrace it... A t-shirt, or perhaps even a colourful cushion...

@BoxerMaurits knows what his mission is... If he succeeds it would be the greatest accomplishment of all time by any sherbro ever.

We are all with him.

He goes to enough cards. This would be an all time Suredawg accomplishment, lol.

When you think about it, it's kind of the least he can do for us after we got him addicted to the Internet in his early 20s, and then voted him POTY to make sure he can never leave us...

game-of-thrones-baelish.gif

If he can get Shad to hold a pillow or wear a shirt, he's at legend status.

If he can get Shad to hold a pillow or wear a shirt, he's at legend status.
100%.

Honestly, it would be the most epic thing on here since Bas Rutten and Jason DeLucia went at it back in the day, or Lee Murray and Remco Pardoel telling bar fight stories from their crazy weekends in London...

The crazy part is that I actually believe he can pull it off.

Back