Striking numbers for Sandhagen vs Dillashaw

Just wondering, outside of a sanctioned fight, I.e. “on da streets”, who would have preferred to be TJ in this? I get they judge certain ways to keep standards and such, but I would have much preferred to be Corey.

Doesn’t mean much I suppose, but I would have gave it to Corey.

now break that down per round to get a better picture

Kampmann vs Diego also has very close numbers.

Sometimes you just have to know what you're watching. 1 guy got taken down briefly & held against the cage while eating no damage(Kampmann & Sandhagen). The other guy had both eyes & nose cut, plus a bloody mouth. And in TJ's case a torn knee.

But yeah some people will score for Diego & TJ because they simply don't understand what they're watching or don't know how to comprehend the actual scoring criteria.

Sanhagen won imo. A lot of things Sanhagen did in the fight probably went right over the judges heads.
I 100% agree, the judges could've at least gave it a draw but they know all the ufc promotion is backing up TJ so they had a short discussion and said, TJ winning it regardless of what happens in the fight if there is no conclusion and it goes to a draw.

How does Sandhagen have 1 sub attempt when he attacked the legs and had the inverted triangle lol

The inverted triangle didnt have the correct angle for a finish, more of just a hold.

It was NOT like Mas/Imada’s, where the lower leg cuts across the neck arteries.

So they probably only counted the leg attack.

We need round by round for it to be useful.

How many knock downs did TJ get? How many times did TJ snap Cory's head back from strikes? Now answer those same questions regarding Cory. Cory got one knockdown. Head snaps from strikes often. All strikes are not alike especially if they are glancing vs. flush. In addition, TJ did nothing with his control time and yes he was coming forward, but he also got pieced up pretty badly in the process because Cory's shots were landing FLUSH.

There are very few TJ highlights and considerable Cory highlights. Judges need to be able to do more than keep track of basic stats in order to determine who won a round. For example, let's say Fighter A "lands" 20 significant strikes in Round 1 but no knockdowns and no snapping of the head or creating wobbly legs. Assume Fighter B "lands" 10 significant strikes, several that snapped his opponents head back, he got a knock down and Fighter B was wobbly when he got up. Further assume that 2 of those significant strikes were unchecked calf kicks that appeared to affect Fighter A's movement and balance. Fighter A landed 2x as many significant strikes, was he more effective and did he win the round? Not in my book. Judges have to understand who is more effective and not simply count strikes and tally control time that was of no consequence. Glancing strikes are not equal to flush strikes.

You are asking way too much of judges.

Do you honestly think MMA judges know the difference in effectiveness of checked vs unchecked kicks?

Most are probably boxing judges who score for whoever is trying harder or throwing more strikes (regardless of whether they land) unless someone clearly gets badly hurt.

You are asking way too much of judges.

Do you honestly think MMA judges know the difference in effectiveness of checked vs unchecked kicks?

Most are probably boxing judges who score for whoever is trying harder or throwing more strikes (regardless of whether they land) unless someone clearly gets badly hurt.
Someone did get badly hurt, take a look at TJ's face. While damage is not a scoring criteria, its hard to ignore that Cory's punching was far more effective than TJ's striking. The UFC is professional fighting and should not be scored by little kid karate tournament rules. Touching someone with a glancing blow or negligible impact is not equal to a hard blow that lands flush and snaps the opponent's head back and causes the skin to split open. I would expect a professional MMA judge to clearly understand highly effective vs. moderately effective vs. not effective.

Last edited:
Kampmann vs Diego also has very close numbers.

Sometimes you just have to know what you're watching. 1 guy got taken down briefly & held against the cage while eating no damage(Kampmann & Sandhagen). The other guy had both eyes & nose cut, plus a bloody mouth. And in TJ's case a torn knee.

But yeah some people will score for Diego & TJ because they simply don't understand what they're watching or don't know how to comprehend the actual scoring criteria.

This issue that you don't seem to understand is that the majority of this damage happened in round 2 and that you have to look at each round individually. The common belief is that TJ won round 1, Corey won round 2. You then have to look at the final 3 rounds. If you look at rounds 3-5 you will see that TJ landed more sig strikes in rounds 3 and 5. This alone would give TJ the nod, 3 rounds to 2. BUT, if you also factor in the octagon control, and Corey allowing himself to be held against the cage for a 7+mins...

Someone did get badly hurt, take a look at TJ's face. While damage is not a scoring criteria, its hard to ignore that Cory's punching was not far more effective than TJ's striking. The UFC is professional fighting and should not be scored by little kid karate tournament rules. Touching someone with a glancing blow or negligible impact is not equal to a hard blow that lands flush and snaps the opponent's head back and causes the skin to split open. I would expect a professional MMA judge to clearly understand highly effective vs. moderately effective vs. not effective.

This happened during round 2. There are 5 rounds in a fight.

I probably would have given the nod to Sandhagen but would have expected TJ to get the nod, I feel the bigger name often gets the nod in close fights, enough where I lean in that direction in these situations.

Last edited:
Holding someone doing no damage? Points for hugs now.?
Not in a sport where the number 1 criteria is damage and they were 2-2 going into the fifth, no.

I don't like the term robbery but I can't understand how going forward with the heart of a champ and eating shots consistently while landing none and doing 0 damage could possibly win a round.

Blows my mind that anyone can give tj the 5th.

I probably would have given the nod to Sandhagen but would have expected TJ to get the nod, I feel the bigger nod often gets the nod in close fights, enough where I lean in that direction in these situations.
But how was the 5th even close in terms of strikes or damage inflicted??

(Disclaimer: though i disagree with TJ winning it, i understand that the fight can be scored 3-2 for either man - personally it feels wrong to me that the guy doing more damage didn't get the nod here, but it's perfectly fine to score it 3-2 for TJ.)

For those that can't see the post for whatever reason:

Sign. head strikes
Sandhagen: 110/258 (43% Acc.)
Dillashaw: 59/208 (28% Acc.)

Sign. body strikes
Sandhagen: 10/14 (71% Acc.)
Dillashaw: 10/14 (71% Acc.)

Sign. leg strikes
Sandhagen: 8/9 (89%)
Dillashaw: 41/46 (89%)

Total sign. strikes
Sandhagen: 128/281 (45% Acc.)
Dillashaw: 110/268 (41% Acc.)

Bonus: grappling stats
Control time
Sandhagen --:--
Dillashaw 08:22

Takedowns
Sandhagen: 0/1 (0% Acc.)

Dillashaw: 2/19 (10% Acc.)

Submission attempts
Sandhagen: 1

Dillashaw: 0

Counting TOTAL strike in a fight that is scored round by round is stupidity at its highest level. Give us a round by round breakdown because most boxing judges use this stat to decide who wins the round and MMA judges are boxing judges so please do the right thing

Someone did get badly hurt, take a look at TJ's face. While damage is not a scoring criteria, its hard to ignore that Cory's punching was not far more effective than TJ's striking. The UFC is professional fighting and should not be scored by little kid karate tournament rules. Touching someone with a glancing blow or negligible impact is not equal to a hard blow that lands flush and snaps the opponent's head back and causes the skin to split open. I would expect a professional MMA judge to clearly understand highly effective vs. moderately effective vs. not effective.
Sure, and in a perfect world people would always pick up after themselves and wouldn't have children that they aren't able to afford or can't devote the proper amount of attention to raising properly and we can all live as one in peace and have a great big beautiful tomorrow and all that happy shit.

But in the world we live in most athletic commissions are corrupt and judges are incompetent at best, generally speaking.

Strike stats have always been bullshit.

Never trusted them with any combat sport.

Not in a sport where the number 1 criteria is damage and they were 2-2 going into the fifth, no.

I don't like the term robbery but I can't understand how going forward with the heart of a champ and eating shots consistently while landing none and doing 0 damage could possibly win a round.

Blows my mind that anyone can give tj the 5th.

TJ didn't land any shots???
Numbers for Round 5
Cory
38 of 83 Total strikes=42 of 87
TJ
40 of 88 Total strikes= 44 0f 92.

Back