• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Trek. Is the Wrath of Khan the best one?

Is it?

• Total voters
Yeah, I really liked ST III, especially after Spock died in Wrath of Khan. It was perfect having his mind lodged in McCoy's head, considering their combative relationship.

I used to watch Star Trek TOS on Sunday mornings with my dad after hockey. We'd have toast and molasses. Hockey, football and Star Trek was our thing. Cherished memories.

The first time I ever recall crying was Spock's funeral scene, that got me good. Like when Picard lost it after he was brought back from assimilation, Kirk's fighting back the tears, and knowing one of my fav characters (Spock) was dead, I fell apart. I'm pretty sure my dad welling up too.

Wrath of khan had it all, awesome call back villain, strategic combat, amazing score, and a relationship-centric story between our beloved characters dealing with loss and getting older, had something for everyone.

After far as I was concerned, Spock was dead, so getting him back in III, and seeing Vulcan with a budget, was amazing. It was a great follow up to the Genesis project from Wrath of Khan, and Kirk's kid. I felt they could have done more with David (Kirk's son) though.

The only thing I didn't like was recasting Kirstie Alley's character. She may have been my first tv crush, loved those eyes. Her replacement was awful
fbf3776e061f0594-600x338.jpg

A really cool fact about Wrath of khan is that director Nicholas Meyer hadn't every seen an episode of Star Trek, or knew little about it at least. He watched everything before coming up with the script. What a difference between that care for the lore results in, compared to hacks on garbage like the Witcher Netflix series, Disney Star Wars films, or Rings of Power, where writers throw the lore in the toilet.

Meyer also did IV and VI, making him the goat Star Trek movie maker.

I warmed up to the actress who replaced Alley. Did you know that Star Trek IV (at the beginning) had a line of dialog that implied Saavik was pregnant, which was cut in editing? Fascinatingly, Saavik was originally to be Kim Cattrall's character Valeris in part VI.

Nimoy directed part III (and uncredited writer), directed and wrote the story for part IV, wrote and executive produced part VI. He was also the first person asked to executive produce TNG, but declined, allowing Roddenberry and his associates to have complete artistic control. In this initial pre-production stage, Nimoy did not believe that TNG could ever be as popular as TOS. It makes one wonder what TNG would have looked like if he, instead of Roddenberry, had signed on.

I liked Wrath of Khan and the remake. Cumberbatch did a fantastic job.

OGC.170b11f45518777065d62b4db8f75da5

OGC.d57691c2d9953aadd8be8a7ffd7feadb

OIP.GDSnRx1BxHNEVJBuSfg5swHaLc

I really enjoyed the graphic novel. It goes into why Khan is now a Caucasian instead of Indian and the eugenics wars.
A lot of people ragged on that movie but I thought Into the Darkness was pretty good too.

Arguably a better sci fi film than a Trek film although I think Wrath of Khan manages to be both, plays up the established Trek characters really well but its also a great cold war sub film in space.

One of the best 10 min sections in any action blockbuster...

The soundtrack for Star Trek 1-6 is highly underrated in my opinion. We had it on CD as a kid. Wrath of Khan is also a smarter, more thoughtful movie than it gets credit for. Not just a generic bad guy movie.

The soundtrack for Star Trek 1-6 is highly underrated in my opinion. We had it on CD as a kid. Wrath of Khan is also a smarter, more thoughtful movie than it gets credit for. Not just a generic bad guy movie.
Better than the other , knock off space opera ;)

I'd agree that both the original and the remake are the best films of those series.

Yep I'd agree, managers to be a character peice with a good deal of depth around Kirk(growing beyond just being an adventurer) and Khan(a man so obsessed with revenge it destroys him).

Back