• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Trek. Is the Wrath of Khan the best one?

Is it?

• Total voters
Did anyone enjoy Star Trek 1 or Star Trek V: The Final Frontier? Hated the first one boring as f**k
never saw the the other one heard it's the worst
of the Trek films.

V has one of the better characters of all the films, in Sybok.

images

II is probably objectively the best one, though it’s not my personal favourite, that honour goes to III, the Search for Spock. I’ve always loved that movie. Christopher Lloyd as the Klingon Commander Kruge was a great villain. The movie also had lots of great moments:

-Kirk deciding to sacrifice his entire career to go against orders and save Spock
-Kirk & Crew stealing the Enterprise and sabotaging the Excelsior
-Kirk’s son dying
-Kirk sacrificing the Enterprise rather than surrendering to the Klingons
-the final fight on planet Genesis between Kirk and Kruge

I think III is probably the most underrated of the original films, while I’d say IV the Voyage Home is probably the most overrated. People unfamiliar with TOS I think really enjoyed the time travel aspect of it, but for hardcore Star Trek fans like myself it was honestly almost a bit played out, because they went back in time like four fucking times in TOS and then visited another half dozen planets which were basically modelled after cultures and time periods of Earth’s past (eg the Nazi Germany planet, the Ancient Rome planet, the Ancient Greek planet, the Native American planet, the 1920s gangster planet, the Old West planet etc.)

I’d say my second favourite after III would be VI, the Undiscovered Country. It’s a really good movie with a great plot that was very culturally relevant at the time as the plot mirrored current events, namely the end of the Cold War. It also made for an awesome final adventure and farewell for Kirk and the crew.

Even though I consider the TNG show to be the absolute pinnacle of quality Star Trek I don’t think any of the TNG movies were as good as the TOS movies.

I liked Wrath of Khan and the remake. Cumberbatch did a fantastic job.

OGC.170b11f45518777065d62b4db8f75da5

OGC.d57691c2d9953aadd8be8a7ffd7feadb

OIP.GDSnRx1BxHNEVJBuSfg5swHaLc

I really enjoyed the graphic novel. It goes into why Khan is now a Caucasian instead of Indian and the eugenics wars.

II is probably objectively the best one, though it’s not my personal favourite, that honour goes to III, the Search for Spock. I’ve always loved that movie. Christopher Lloyd as the Klingon Commander Kruge was a great villain. The movie also had lots of great moments:

-Kirk deciding to sacrifice his entire career to go against orders and save Spock
-Kirk & Crew stealing the Enterprise and sabotaging the Excelsior
-Kirk’s son dying
-Kirk sacrificing the Enterprise rather than surrendering to the Klingons
-the final fight on planet Genesis between Kirk and Kruge

I think III is probably the most underrated of the original films, while I’d say IV the Voyage Home is probably the most overrated. People unfamiliar with TOS I think really enjoyed the time travel aspect of it, but for hardcore Star Trek fans like myself it was honestly almost a bit played out, because they went back in time like four fucking times in TOS and then visited another half dozen planets which were basically modelled after cultures and time periods of Earth’s past (eg the Nazi Germany planet, the Ancient Rome planet, the Ancient Greek planet, the Native American planet, the 1920s gangster planet, the Old West planet etc.)

I’d say my second favourite after III would be VI, the Undiscovered Country. It’s a really good movie with a great plot that was very culturally relevant at the time as the plot mirrored current events, namely the end of the Cold War. It also made for an awesome final adventure and farewell for Kirk and the crew.

Even though I consider the TNG show to be the absolute pinnacle of quality Star Trek I don’t think any of the TNG movies were as good as the TOS movies.
Yeah, I really liked ST III, especially after Spock died in Wrath of Khan. It was perfect having his mind lodged in McCoy's head, considering their combative relationship.

I used to watch Star Trek TOS on Sunday mornings with my dad after hockey. We'd have toast and molasses. Hockey, football and Star Trek was our thing. Cherished memories.

The first time I ever recall crying was Spock's funeral scene, that got me good. Like when Picard lost it after he was brought back from assimilation, Kirk's fighting back the tears, and knowing one of my fav characters (Spock) was dead, I fell apart. I'm pretty sure my dad welling up too.

Wrath of khan had it all, awesome call back villain, strategic combat, amazing score, and a relationship-centric story between our beloved characters dealing with loss and getting older, had something for everyone.

After far as I was concerned, Spock was dead, so getting him back in III, and seeing Vulcan with a budget, was amazing. It was a great follow up to the Genesis project from Wrath of Khan, and Kirk's kid. I felt they could have done more with David (Kirk's son) though.

The only thing I didn't like was recasting Kirstie Alley's character. She may have been my first tv crush, loved those eyes. Her replacement was awful
fbf3776e061f0594-600x338.jpg

A really cool fact about Wrath of khan is that director Nicholas Meyer hadn't every seen an episode of Star Trek, or knew little about it at least. He watched everything before coming up with the script. What a difference between that care for the lore results in, compared to hacks on garbage like the Witcher Netflix series, Disney Star Wars films, or Rings of Power, where writers throw the lore in the toilet.

Meyer also did IV and VI, making him the goat Star Trek movie maker.

Which one had the Whales taking over the universe...

<45><45><45>

Which one had the Whales taking over the universe...

<45><45><45>

Yup, it's not my fav film of theirs, but it had some good comedy.

To add, we don't know if it was whales causing havoc, but it was a probe trying to communicate with humpback whales, which had gone extinct. There have been many different advanced species in Star Trek lore, so it could have been some distant relation that evolved.

Ghostbusters 2016.
{<jordan}

Last edited:
love the star trek movies, and for me its a toss up between wrath of khan and first contact. but on reflection,you cant really top Ricardo montalban as the big bad.

Yes but the first movie is quite a bit better than it gets credit for.

Arguably a better sci fi film than a Trek film although I think Wrath of Khan manages to be both, plays up the established Trek characters really well but its also a great cold war sub film in space.

One of the best 10 min sections in any action blockbuster...

love the star trek movies, and for me its a toss up between wrath of khan and first contact. but on reflection,you cant really top Ricardo montalban as the big bad.
Dude legit had the 80's Mega Rockstar thing going on...

Back