Social What was your biggest fear as a child?

seriously: being abandoned

minor fears from or influenced by movies/tv:
Indian dude crawling up my butt (x-files)
Michael Myers
Sharks in the swimming pool
ghost girls coming out of the tv
la Llorona
global plague
the sister from pet sematary

Spiders, bit the fick out of me as a kid when we were building a house and it put me into shock. Ill never get over it. I go full berserker mode whenever I see one and stomp it's creepy azz out Wandy style.
You should move North. All the spiders here keep to themselves and keep the other bugs at bay.

I guess my weirdest fear was alien invasions, since one night I was laying in bed and my parents put on The War of the Worlds musical and I could hear all the Martian howling going on and started crying until they came to shut me up. Then the next day they explained what it was, and showed me pics of the Martian tripods from the booklet and let me listen to some of the album and it just scared me more. So for a while afterwards I was paranoid about aliens invading

For context:

Grew up in Florida swam in lakes and the ocean with out an afterthought. It wasn’t the alligators , or snakes, or snapping turtles,
Completely irrational but ; Sharks in Swimming pools. I’m blaming Jaws and that time we went to sea world and they had a Great White Shark in Ice. Thing was like 20 feet long.

I had a fear of the dark as a child. Not in general but sleeping. I remember needing to get out of bed to go pee and wondering if something was under the bed. None as an adult.

Quick sand
Cartoons and old timey sitcoms like Gilligan's Island led me to believe that stuff was lurking around every corner and it was only a matter of time til I stepped in a big slimy pit of it and met my doom

Losing my parents, mainly my Mom. I remember many of nights just laying in my bed as a kid being scared that my Mom wouldn't be there the next day.

Blessed enough that she was able to see me do most of my life milestones all these years. Lost her back in Nov 2022.

Quick sand
Cartoons and old timey sitcoms like Gilligan's Island led me to believe that stuff was lurking around every corner and it was only a matter of time til I stepped in a big slimy pit of it and met my doom
You know there's a thing called cars out there? And you live in the ghetto. You can get mugged, stabbed or shot at any point.

You live in quicksand just like me. We must overcome our fears and become walking weapons.

Back