Sonnen vs TBD on UFC.com - UPDATED

Then add in he pulled out because he said his body could not be ready to fight Weidman in time .. except .. he is fighting Chael on the SAME card as Machida / Weidman are fighting.

But the fight was originally scheduled for May, now it is for July. That gave Vitor a couple of extra months to get clean.

But the fight was originally scheduled for May, now it is for July. That gave Vitor a couple of extra months to get clean.

Which confirms the UFC will move the fight back a bit, and all he had to do was say let's move the fight back a month. It was no fault of Vitor's they banned TRT .. unless he pissed hot and could not ask to be licensed so HAD to pull out of the fight. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Pretty much as conclusive as it can get. Weidman/Belfort was a great fight, it's pretty shitty that it's most likely not going to happen.

Doubt he'll be licensed to fight in Nevada if that's the case.

He was not licensed .. so right now that test is in limbo and can't be used. It's the reason he pulled himself out of the Weidman fight. If legally the NSAC can't bring it up, then it won't matter. I hope they can so they can end the speculation.

He was not licensed .. so right now that test is in limbo and can't be used. It's the reason he pulled himself out of the Weidman fight. If legally the NSAC can't bring it up, then it won't matter. I hope they can so they can end the speculation.

This situation is just too damn complicated for me. Either that or I'm too high to completely understand at the moment.

This situation is just too damn complicated for me. Either that or I'm too high to completely understand at the moment.

It is a bit complicated. Let me try to simplify it.

Releasing medical records without consent is a HIPAA violation, very serious. When you apply to be licensed you have to sign and agree to testing and agree to those test results being made public. It is that agreement that allows the test results to be known.

Vitor was not yet sanctioned, he had not applied for his license. But, he was scheduled to fight. So the NSAC tested him the day before they voted to ban TRT or not ban TRT. They were able to get the test, because he was set to fight. Unfortunately since he was not licensed, he had never given consent to release them.

After seeing Vitor's test results, the NSAC banned TRT. Now the situation is screwed up, because he was tested, but never gave consent to have the results released. Had Vitor asked to be licensed to fight Weidman the standard waiver he signs would give them permission to release all tests conducted on that specific fight, so even though he was not yet licensed, the results would still become public if he became licensed to fight Weidman.

If Vitor chooses not to fight Weidman, and fights Sonnen, then that is now a DIFFERENT fight, so the standard waiver they sign would not include his random test. This would make the random test forever private.

I think this is a big reason Vitor is choosing to fight before his title shot, he is using a loophole. If he fights Weidman the NSAC might say he got tested for the Weidman fight, so it's not public. By fighting Chael instead it removes all doubt that the fight he was tested for never happened.

Which confirms the UFC will move the fight back a bit, and all he had to do was say let's move the fight back a month. It was no fault of Vitor's they banned TRT .. unless he pissed hot and could not ask to be licensed so HAD to pull out of the fight. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Oh yeah, totally true. I thought you were trying to say something else, but now that I see, the only explaination for Vitor backing out of the fight was to avoid revealing the results of his nuclear-radiation-level pee test.

I doubt the Belfort will fight at 175. It seems Chael wants to stay on this card but I could see them doing Chael/Vitor as the co main at 176. 175 already has two title fights and we know shows like this never stay completely intact. Chael could also face Rumble on the Fox card once Lil Nog pulls out.

Belfort's licensing hearing is scheduled for June 17th.
UFC can't confirm the fight till then.

Pretty sure when he applies for a license they'll make his random test public too, I'm sure I read that from the new NSAC director.

Oh yeah, totally true. I thought you were trying to say something else, but now that I see, the only explaination for Vitor backing out of the fight was to avoid revealing the results of his nuclear-radiation-level pee test.

It's the only thing that makes sense. Hopefully we will find out.

It's the only thing that makes sense. Hopefully we will find out.

Then why would he accept to fight on the same card with Sonnen? (sorry if explained, I didn't want to go through the whole thread)

Then why would he accept to fight on the same card with Sonnen? (sorry if explained, I didn't want to go through the whole thread)

Because it's a different fight, meaning tests conducted for the Weidman/Vitor fight can not be made public if he fights Sonnen.

Vitor claimed he could not fight Weidman because it takes too long to get off TRT. So if that is true why is he fighting the SAME night as Weidman? Clearly Vitor was lying and making excuses.

It says "None of the reports regarding Wand, Vitor, & Chael are complete" on UFC twitter so.

That was in reference to UFC Tonight the other day.

The NAC stated that Vitor isn't license yet and has a hearing on the 17th. The UFC changed it again to try not to look stupid.

Because it's a different fight, meaning tests conducted for the Weidman/Vitor fight can not be made public if he fights Sonnen.

Vitor claimed he could not fight Weidman because it takes too long to get off TRT. So if that is true why is he fighting the SAME night as Weidman? Clearly Vitor was lying and making excuses.

Well Weidman didn't actually end up fighting last Saturday, which is when his fight with Vitor was scheduled. I'm not excusing Vitor (I think the guy is and was on juice), but the fight with Sonnen is/would be a month and a half later than the one with Weidman would have been.

Or Vitor said that at a time when the Weidman/Vitor fight was supposed to take place at UFC 173 and not at UFC 175.....that couldn't be it, could it?

this is just winding up to be a terrible run of affairs.

What on earth is going on with Zuffa managment?! Come on!

this is just winding up to be a terrible run of affairs.

What on earth is going on with Zuffa managment?! Come on!

No kidding. I know Wand/Sonnen would be a big fight even if it didn't have title implications, but surely they could find a reasonably popular LHW or MW *WHO HAS A LICENSE* to take Wand's spot.

Well Weidman didn't actually end up fighting last Saturday, which is when his fight with Vitor was scheduled. I'm not excusing Vitor (I think the guy is and was on juice), but the fight with Sonnen is/would be a month and a half later than the one with Weidman would have been.
Or Vitor said that at a time when the Weidman/Vitor fight was supposed to take place at UFC 173 and not at UFC 175.....that couldn't be it, could it?

Yes, the fight got pushed back, all Vitor had to do was ask for it to be delayed a month and there would be no problem and he'd be fighting for the title. Why did he instead choose to pull out?

Instead Vitor pulled out .. then said he did not pull out and wanted to fight and the UFC pulled him out ... then he changed it again and said he did pull out because he could not fight so soon.

This holds no water since ...
a) he lied and changed his story multiple times
and
b) all he had to do was simply say I need another month.

Instead he pulled out and gave up his title fight, you think that makes sense?

I think it's interesting that only 3 weeks ago Dana White was saying Vitor would have problems getting licensed.

"He's gotta solve his problems with the Nevada State Athletic Commission and when he does that, we'll figure it out. He's got a lot of work to do. That shit just doesn't happen like that. You gotta get on the agenda. He's got a lot of work to do. He's fooling himself if that's what he really thinks, he took a couple of home tests and he's ready to roll. Or whatever he did. He's always fun. He's hilarious."

No kidding. I know Wand/Sonnen would be a big fight even if it didn't have title implications, but surely they could find a reasonably popular LHW or MW *WHO HAS A LICENSE* to take Wand's spot.

I think they are worried about Vitor not getting licensed and are using this fight as a dry run.

ETA:
I think it's interesting that only 3 weeks ago Dana White was saying Vitor would have problems getting licensed.

Exactly!

Back