Sonnen: Judo isn't effective in MMA

If you can't mix things up, your olympic wrestling won't work either.

I think there are fewer useful techniques in Judo than lets say MT or BJJ when it comes to MMA but overall ineffective in MMA? I disagree.

That's due to a lack of judo-based gyms in MMA.
I think direction of causality is opposite. If judo was more useful for MMA, there would've been more judo-based based gyms. After all it's fairly popular.

There are classes of arts that are (for MMA):

1. Required
2. Strongly applicable, but not required
3. Supplemental
4. Useless

I would put Judo in the third category. In real life though, it's extremely valuable.

If you can't mix things up, your olympic wrestling won't work either.

Actually all you need is wrestling, problem is the champs all have some of the best wrestling in the division.

All the artistry of combat and lesnar still beats nearly the entire UFC.

Wow I can't believe this thread went this long without any mention of Karo Parisyan, with the exception of one poster above that made a quick reference. Karo's judo was sick, he landed gravity defining throws on Diego Sanchez and used a judo kimura technique against gsp that resulted in a takedown/sweep, same technique he used to tap out.

He even sang a stupid song about his judo throws being the best in the world post fight interview one time.

I think direction of causality is opposite. If judo was more useful for MMA, there would've been more judo-based based gyms. After all it's fairly popular.
That's the same kind of thinking people had about karate, boxing and sambo when MMA gyms only taught a combination wrestling, BJJ and muay thai.

What's your opinion? Fedor was a Judoka who is highly successful in MMA, but then his main background is combat Sambo not Judo. So I don't know he can be the answer to Chael.

What do you think?

He started training both at the same time around 12 years old. He was on the Russian Judo team and had Olympic aspirations. He grugingly quit Judo.

The two men who developed Sambo were Judoka.

Both the Nogueiras have Judo bases.

Amanda Nunes is a Judoka.

Stop the stupidity.

Jake_Shields_vs._Hector_Lombard_5hl.gif

Rick+Hawn+Trips+Lloyd+Woodard+-+Bellator+66.gif

1.gif

10000400.gif

h1C6U8R.gif
tumblr_n4bmo6BZOV1qa9yvvo2_400.gif

It's true. To be effective it requires good grips and in Judo grabbing a leg is illegal so any takedown is banned. You may hit a basic bitch hip toss on a housewife, but real fighters don't fall for that shit.
This is why it was astounding that the Ronda hype got so out of control. All you had to do was not clinch, be able to defend her only submission, not be a soccer mom and you won. Just to think people really thought she would beat Mayweather is unbelievable.

He's right-ish
There's been no high level Judoka except Rousey (and Fedor who is a combat sambo guy first)

don't you love it when people try and act like they know like they're talking about, but clearly haven't a clue?

Chael definitely likes those kinda people. He's a convicted fraudster after all

I take what he says with little value, he often just makes drastic statements for attention.

Judo is like TKD, it's only effective when combined with other arts.

If you're coming in with just judo or just tkd, you're fucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back