Sonnen: Judo isn't effective in MMA

Works very well in clinch situations, specially against the cage. Not enough on it's own, but nothing is in MMA.

What's your opinion? Fedor was a Judoka who is highly successful in MMA, but then his main background is combat Sambo not Judo. So I don't know he can be the answer to Chael.

What do you think?

As a single form of fighting of course not.
But then there is a reason its called MMA.
In the name is a clue. I will help out, its MIXED.

harai-goshi-cub-swanson-ufc.gif

Chael also said Dana is super generous and just loves to spread the wealth. He doesn't disclose fighter salaries to protect fighters from hangers on. Incidentally, Chael was totally ignorant of the fact that Nevada has always disclosed guaranteed salaries, and thought it was a new development.

Happens to a lot fighters. Fedor became a brawler late in his run (though he used clinch tosses for many years), Ronda more of a brawler as well. Same goes for Hector & Akiyama and even Stun Gun who throws spinning backfists and other wild techniques later in his run. When all these guys had their best success when using Judo.
Ronda needs to return to Hayastan. All judokas need to go to Hayastan.

To think she went from Gene & Gokor to Edmund
Yeah, bad move. Judokas need to go to judo focused gyms instead of gyms that have minute if any judo at all. Their base needs to be nurtured, modified and expanded for the purpose of MMA. Learning new skill-sets from scratch while neglecting your strength that you have developed for well over a decade is detrimental.

What's your opinion? Fedor was a Judoka who is highly successful in MMA, but then his main background is combat Sambo not Judo. So I don't know he can be the answer to Chael.

What do you think?

Fedor seem to surely think that but he has better judo credentials than most Judo based fighters.

It's true. To be effective it requires good grips and in Judo grabbing a leg is illegal so any takedown is banned. You may hit a basic bitch hip toss on a housewife, but real fighters don't fall for that shit.

Jake_Shields_vs._Hector_Lombard_5hl.gif

Rick+Hawn+Trips+Lloyd+Woodard+-+Bellator+66.gif

1.gif

10000400.gif

h1C6U8R.gif

Yes and no. In Sport Judo the goal is to get a throw, and a good one, and if on the ground, to the get a pin. Its basically greco roman rules with a gi

It was effective when mma was very young look at prime Karo Parysian (pardon the spelling im sure that's wrong) but it seemed to drift off as the sport advanced. Anderson Silva has a black belt in Judo and it never did shit for him when he fought a wrestler.

It was effective when mma was very young look at prime Karo Parysian (pardon the spelling im sure that's wrong) but it seemed to drift off as the sport advanced. Anderson Silva has a black belt in Judo and it never did shit for him when he fought a wrestler.
Let me ask you this, how many judo-based MMA gyms are there? THAT would explain the drifting off.

Yes and no. In Sport Judo the goal is to get a throw, and a good one, and if on the ground, to the get a pin. Its basically greco roman rules with a gi
Go troll somewhere else.

Anyone else think Chael's gimmick has jumped the shark lately?

To be honest, individual gifs of cool tosses don't disprove his point. The fact that there hasn't been any top level judo-based fighters in god knows how long makes it pretty obvious that Chael is more right than wrong. To me, judo seems like a decent supplementary art, hence you have all these gifs, but a top fighter cannot have a style that revolves mainly around judo.

He seems like he has some axe to grind. I even heard him burying judo on JR's podcast. Like did his wife get banged by a judoka or what's the deal here?

Judo is good, it is just not sufficient.

This ^^^^ it's a very effective martial art in mma tosses, trips, but you need a chaser wrestling, jits, grappling, etc.

To be honest, individual gifs of cool tosses don't disprove his point. The fact that there hasn't been any top level judo-based fighters in god knows how long makes it pretty obvious that Chael is more right than wrong. To me, judo seems like a decent supplementary art, hence you have all these gifs, but a top fighter cannot have a style that revolves mainly around judo.
That's due to a lack of judo-based gyms in MMA.

Back