Sonnen: Judo isn't effective in MMA

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score

What's your opinion? Fedor was a Judoka who is highly successful in MMA, but then his main background is combat Sambo not Judo. So I don't know he can be the answer to Chael.

What do you think?

I'm really glad Sonnen doesn't work directly with the UFC or on their PPVs. He's gotten everything wrong for about 2 years straight and this is another one to his long list of 'I guess I was wrong'...

Last edited:
She's really the only fighter to ever have continued success using it as a base.

It's true. To be effective it requires good grips and in Judo grabbing a leg is illegal so any takedown is banned. You may hit a basic bitch hip toss on a housewife, but real fighters don't fall for that shit.

If your idea of Judo comes from Austin Powers perhaps, in reality there was almost zero judo on display from Rousey.

He would know

2nbrjmf_medium.gif

The sport lives up to its name.

Pretty hilarious coming from a guy who made a career out of getting submitted lol.

It's true. To be effective it requires good grips and in Judo grabbing a leg is illegal so any takedown is banned. You may hit a basic bitch hip toss on a housewife, but real fighters don't fall for that shit.

Greco Roman wrestlers are not allowed to grab legs either but they can be very effective in MMA. And judo has more techniques than only a hip toss.

TS, did you know Antônio Rogério Nogueira once tried to feed a bus a carrot?, it sounds fucking ridiculous but it really happened. You got Chael trolled, welcome to the club.

MMA means Mixed Martial Arts and Judo techniques can used as well.

MMA doesnt mean only mix up BJJ with Kickboxing.

Hidehiko Yoshido (Olimpic Gold) was ok in Pride.
Most of his losses came against big HW with him being 5.11 220 pounds.
Well, they liked greak shows there, lol/

Kaz Nakamura was ok as well.

Sexyama is judoka is well, but was mainly striking.

As for Fedor - Combat Sambo, bro. Much more well rounded and powerfull MA.
He did some judo matches, but judo was just an add-on to his style.

Maia is a beast, but he's a BJJ mastre first, who adds judo, wrestling , maybe even sambo to his arsenal.

Nope he started out as a Judoka and not even a very high level one, that's the technique he used to toss Chael.

Lets be realistic Sonnen just plays up a character to get attension of nationalistic dimwits, I doubt he believes the majority of what he says.

Nope he started out as a Judoka and not even a very high level one, that's the technique he used to toss Chael.

Lets be realistic Sonnen just plays up a character to get attension of nationalistic dimwits, I doubt he believes the majority of what he says.

Perhaps, but would he be as effective without BJJ?
Really doubt that.

Although i agree that pure BJJ works weakly in MMA as well ( see Dean Lister, , fighters usually need wrestling, sambo, judo, to impose their grappling, cause everybody has TDD nowadays.

Back