Sonnen: Judo isn't effective in MMA

In his book he dismisses judo as a lame version of greco roman, with a jacket on.
He did get tossed by Maia very badly though.

Being a Combat Sambo champion is much higher achievement than judo black belt ;)

Actually in post USSR countries they are usually trained together.
I did both judo (just 3 months) and Combat Sambo (7 years).

LOL
Any type of training in former Soviet regions is considered tough. There is a mystique. And there are also such things as roids.

LOL
Any type of training in former Soviet regions is considered tough. There is a mystique. And there are also such things as roids.

Well, pur training was tough, not sure if you are serious or making fun.
What is the mistique, though?

Roids are everywhere man, see Brasil where you can buy them in pharmacy.
And even if someone using that doesn't deteriorate any MA or winning a championship.

Karo was good.

Yeah, forgot about him.
Pretty agressive style of Judo, was effective.
Pity he became dependant of painkillers.
Had some mental issues also if i remember correctly.

What I would say is that not every Judoka we see in MMA puts there abilities to the best use. Back in Pride of course guys like Yoshida basically staying as Judo only was sort of the point, people wanted to see "MMA vs Judo" the same way "Pro Wrestling vs Judo" was sold in previous decades(even if the fights weren't real back then). More recently in the US I think the issue often is that training is very much setup for US wrestlers, you look at someone like Akiyama and he ended up transforming into a quite dull wrestle boxer by numbers.

Judo has it's uses in a fight, but sadly there isn't enough uses.

It's an excellent base but just like anything nowadays , definetly not much good on its own. I'd say by itself with no other disciplines on hand it to be more effective as BJJ.

He would know

2nbrjmf_medium.gif
Such a slick takedown and transition. Hope to see Maia get his chance at the title here in 2017.

On a street fight the last thing you want is to judo trow someone to the ground.

What I would say is that not every Judoka we see in MMA puts there abilities to the best use. Back in Pride of course guys like Yoshida basically staying as Judo only was sort of the point, people wanted to see "MMA vs Judo" the same way "Pro Wrestling vs Judo" was sold in previous decades(even if the fights weren't real back then). More recently in the US I think the issue often is that training is very much setup for US wrestlers, you look at someone like Akiyama and he ended up transforming into a quite dull wrestle boxer by numbers.
Happens to a lot fighters. Fedor became a brawler late in his run (though he used clinch tosses for many years), Ronda more of a brawler as well. Same goes for Hector & Akiyama and even Stun Gun who throws spinning backfists and other wild techniques later in his run. When all these guys had their best success when using Judo.

"Judo uses an opponent's size and strength against them" - Ronda, so Brock should be dead debuting against an olympic silver medalist, but this happened instead.

Too many people misunderstanding what Chael said...

What he means is that there aren't many people who are elite-level Judo athletes and become very successful in MMA. Look at elite-level wrestlers, BJJ competitors and strikers who transitioned very successfully into MMA. Good on Ronda for what she accomplished, but the women's divisions being new definitely was a factor.

Isnt DHK a judo guy? He's got a good UFC record.

Chael doesn't like anything that isn't american or white western based.

The guy thinks bjj doesnt work in a fight for fucks sake. He thinks wrestling and boxing are the only effective styles.

"Judo uses an opponent's size and strength against them" - Ronda, so Brock should be dead debuting against an olympic silver medalist, but this happened instead.

Im just too lazy to show a vid of a wrestler getting 1 punch KO'd.

Or a bjj guy getting KO'd

Or a boxer getting taken down and subbed.

Do yoi remember the name royce alger? He was a dan gable wrestler, he got destroyed in mma. Watch royce alger vs eugene jackson to see how bad wrestling is in mma

Seemed likle an early stoppage from the GOAT Ref S.Mazagatti

What's your opinion? Fedor was a Judoka who is highly successful in MMA, but then his main background is combat Sambo not Judo. So I don't know he can be the answer to Chael.

What do you think?

According to Fedor's website, he started with both combat sambo and judo, and did both very seriously until he started MMA (he has Russians master of sport in both, which is a pretty high title that only serious competitors get). He was on the Russian national judo team, and got medals in judo world cups, meaning he has far better pure judo credentials than say Karo.

So Fedor's background is both judo and combat sambo, if you go by what the man himself says. Other than that, Yoshida twice went the distance with prime Wand, which isn't bad, especially for a guy who was 50 pounds overweight (his Olympic gold came at 173 with same day weigh-ins, he fought at 225 pounds and was fat in MMA), and was about equal to Royce Gracie in grappling (but not as good in striking).

But the main thing is no single art works in MMA. Pure BJJ loses. Pure wrestling loses. Pure boxing loses. Pure Muy Thai loses. However, judo, and combat sambo, have a further limitation in that they're gi based. If you're wearing jackets, gi based beats no-gi based. But MMA is no gi, so you're better off learning wrestling than judo for MMA.

Sonnen beats maia 99/100 times, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while so not sure why that gif is posted

Judo isn't ineffective but you can't rely solely on judo to win fights. In WMMA you could because the level of skill has been very, very low but there are now a couple of women fighters that actually know how to fight (like Holm, Peña, Nunes). I think these three would always beat Rousey because they are smart and good enough to understand that you should probably avoid the clinch and train how to defend a hip throw. Ronda's success came from judo but it's also obvious that her success came from fighting lower tier fighters.

We've seen some fighters incorporate judo technique and with great success (Maia, Fedor, Lombard) but that wasn't their only skill, they also knew how to wrestle, strike etc.

Back