Sonnen: Judo isn't effective in MMA

Wow I can't believe this thread went this long without any mention of Karo Parisyan, with the exception of one poster above that made a quick reference. Karo's judo was sick, he landed gravity defining throws on Diego Sanchez and used a judo kimura technique against gsp that resulted in a takedown/sweep, same technique he used to tap out.

He even sang a stupid song about his judo throws being the best in the world post fight interview one time.
Karo was good but he never really accomplished that much. I believe he was offered a title shot against Hughes but got injured or something and Riggs stepped in instead. So really his biggest accomplishment is getting offered a title shot eh didn't even get to take advantage of.

Ronda is easily the most accomplished fighter to rely heavily on Judo skills.

quote-look-down-at-me-and-you-see-a-fool-look-up-at-me-and-you-see-a-god-look-straight-at-charles-manson-48-37-85.jpg

giphy.gif

Sonnen beats maia 99/100 times, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while so not sure why that gif is posted
Lol, a guy with a history of being triangle choked wins 99/100 times against a guy that triangle choked him? Did you think this post through?

It was effective when mma was very young look at prime Karo Parysian (pardon the spelling im sure that's wrong) but it seemed to drift off as the sport advanced. Anderson Silva has a black belt in Judo and it never did shit for him when he fought a wrestler.
A few Brazilians have black belts in Judo. On top of Anderson there's The Nogueira brothers, Bigfoot, and Erick Silva off the top of my head. None of which ever really showed great MMA Judo. From what I hear Judo is a popular sport in Brazil, 2nd only to soccer.

Slightly off topic, but as someone with a striking background, I have massive respect for Demian Maia's grappling and wrestling skills. Absolutely a masterclass. His fight with Shields was an absolute grappling war. Not to mention his slaughter of Carlos Condit was a sight to behold. Condit is a great grappler on the ground. Anyways, carry on

<5>

What's your opinion? Fedor was a Judoka who is highly successful in MMA, but then his main background is combat Sambo not Judo. So I don't know he can be the answer to Chael.

What do you think?

One word is only needed to refute this: Khabib

Last edited:
Every time you see someone getting submitted you are seeing Judo. BJJ came from Judo.

Maia is a beast, but he's a BJJ mastre first, who adds judo, wrestling , maybe even sambo to his arsenal.

He used an stand up judo grappling technique and a judo submission technique there. 100% Judo display there. So wtf are you talking about kiddo?

Wanna know what else isn't effective? Spinning shit. At least not when Shael is doing it LOL

anderson-silva-knees-a-downed-chael-sonnen-at-ufc-148.gif

It's true. To be effective it requires good grips and in Judo grabbing a leg is illegal so any takedown is banned. You may hit a basic bitch hip toss on a housewife, but real fighters don't fall for that shit.

Hillbilly,

In competition it is illegal but single and doubles are trained in the dojo.

Wanna know what else isn't effective? Spinning shit. At least not when Shael is doing it LOL

anderson-silva-knees-a-downed-chael-sonnen-at-ufc-148.gif

I am realizing it just now how sketchy it was to throw a backfist after missing a left hook against a southpaw. Someone explain it to me if this is a legit technique.

I am realizing it just now how sketchy it was to throw a backfist after missing a left hook against a southpaw. Someone explain it to me if this is a legit technique.

If we're being honest, there was a degree of sketch to that whole Silva/Shael saga

If your idea of Judo comes from Austin Powers perhaps, in reality there was almost zero judo on display from Rousey.
mostly because she started getting lit the fuck up as soon as the fight started.

A few Brazilians have black belts in Judo. On top of Anderson there's The Nogueira brothers, Bigfoot, and Erick Silva off the top of my head. None of which ever really showed great MMA Judo. From what I hear Judo is a popular sport in Brazil, 2nd only to soccer.
The judo Brazilians learn is basically Olympic\Competitional ruled judo its not the self defense art that was created firstly.
same with most dojos around the world and even in Japan,its diluted as fuck.
Ive heard of a few dojos coming back to the ruts or implementing noGI\hybrid training but they still are in the low numbers.

On a street fight the last thing you want is to judo trow someone to the ground.

This is the problem I'm having. I want to train judo but is it really practical in a street fight? Seems like it would cause too much damage . I don't need a murder charge

He's right. Yes, there are examples ala Maia murking him, but he's referring to judo as a base.

I.E: If all you have is judo, you're fucked. It requires the clinch and to get to the clinch you need to close the distance.

How can you close distance with no striking? No level changes? No angles? No wrestling?

Judo is great as part of an all round package but it's garbage on its own.

For example: Anderson is a black belt in BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Taekwondo and a yellow in Capoeira. He also boxed as a pro.

Compare that with Rousey... Judo and that's it. The Amanda outcome would happen 100% of the time in men's MMA if Judo was your only skill.

Last edited:
well, technically Karo had a title shot against Matt Hughes but withdrew due to a knee injury. So part of what Chael said is incorrect.

Back