Some of you guys are impossible to please

Got it, you've never put on muscle in your life.

Because I keep up with him on socials. Dude enjoyed his holidays.
Max a few weeks ago for his son's birthday:

Max a month after fighting KZ:

Outside of this fight is irrelevant, we're talking about this fight. The fact that you believe Islam vs Gaethje isn't interesting doesn't make this fight any less of a mismatch.

I'm not hanging my argument on anything other than basic logic and experience. I never called Justin a better fighter than Dustin. The only one using MMA math is you with your simplistic "rock, paper, scissors" argument. I compared physical attributes based on a similar opponent and used simple logic to deduce why Max wouldn't be successful.

How do you expect Max to push a pace if his opponent doesn't respect him? He ran into the same problems against DP, now imagine JG who is even more durable. So if Justin is fighting comfortably at his pace and Max isn't threatening with his offense, when exactly do you expect JG to get tired enough to allow Max to rack up some rounds?

Fighters have successfully moved up in weight constantly over the years, but they always have an X factor that carries over to the higher weight. Amanda was just as powerful and even faster than Cyborg. Benson Henderson had a lot more experience than Brandon Thatch. DC was faster than Stipe and had enough power to sleep Heavyweights with a single punch. What is Max's X factor here?

I've watched this sport long enough to know that I don't know shit, and that every single fight is different and anything can happen, but you can keep convincing yourself you already know the outcome.

You can make the exact same argument you just made for Izzy vs Strickland, bigger, better, more powerful, more decorated, more versatile striker, Strickland doesn't have the power to make him respect him, bla bla bla.... yet look what happened. Rob vs Dricus, again same shit, no one can beat Rob except Izzy, Dricus will gas out, he can never do to Rob what he did to Brunson, bla bla bla, but look what happened.

Fighters are just fucken people, Max and Justin have good and bad days like everyone else. They have personal lives, they have emotional baggage, there's a thousand different factors that go into affecting the outcome of a fight.

So yeah, you with your sherbro match and expert knowledge means fuck all, I have no idea who will win and neither do you, as much as you wanna pretend that you do.

I've watched this sport long enough to know that I don't know shit, and that every single fight is different and anything can happen, but you can keep convincing yourself you already know the outcome.

You can make the exact same argument you just made for Izzy vs Strickland, bigger, better, more powerful, more decorated, more versatile striker, Strickland doesn't have the power to make him respect him, bla bla bla.... yet look what happened. Rob vs Dricus, again same shit, no one can beat Rob except Izzy, Dricus will gas out, he can never do to Rob what he did to Brunson, bla bla bla, but look what happened.

Fighters are just fucken people, Max and Justin have good and bad days like everyone else. They have personal lives, they have emotional baggage, there's a thousand different factors that go into affecting the outcome of a fight.

So yeah, you with your sherbro match and expert knowledge means fuck all, I have no idea who will win and neither do you, as much as you wanna pretend that you do.
Bro you're corny and you've lost the plot. No one ever said that about Sean, DDP perhaps, but you know what both of your examples have in common? All four fighters are fighting at their respective weight class. No one has to move up, how is that an equal comparison? No one ever said Izzy would walk through Sean's shots, we just didn't think he'd be landing so easily. Anything to fit your fence sitting narrative though. Have fun with that, some of us have opinions and are here to discuss MMA.

Bro you're corny and you've lost the plot. No one ever said that about Sean, DDP perhaps, but you know what both of your examples have in common? All four fighters are fighting at their respective weight class. No one has to move up, how is that an equal comparison? No one ever said Izzy would walk through Sean's shots, we just didn't think he'd be landing so easily. Anything to fit your fence sitting narrative though. Have fun with that, some of us have opinions and are here to discuss MMA.
Actually, Sean moved up from welterweight, while Izzy fought for the light heavyweight title, so yeah.

Actually, Sean moved up from welterweight, while Izzy fought for the light heavyweight title, so yeah.
"So yeah"
0Dr4WfG.jpeg

You're exactly who I thought you were.

So Strickland came up from WW to challenge Izzy at MW?

Sean was well established at MW, his prior run had absolutely no bearing on the Adesanya fight.

Not even close to Max moving up to fight Justin

I hope he proves me wrong, but it doesn't seem like Max has the power to really hurt Justin.

Got it, you've never put on muscle in your life.

Because I keep up with him on socials. Dude enjoyed his holidays.
Max a few weeks ago for his son's birthday:

Max a month after fighting KZ:

Outside of this fight is irrelevant, we're talking about this fight. The fact that you believe Islam vs Gaethje isn't interesting doesn't make this fight any less of a mismatch.

I'm not hanging my argument on anything other than basic logic and experience. I never called Justin a better fighter than Dustin. The only one using MMA math is you with your simplistic "rock, paper, scissors" argument. I compared physical attributes based on a similar opponent and used simple logic to deduce why Max wouldn't be successful.

How do you expect Max to push a pace if his opponent doesn't respect him? He ran into the same problems against DP, now imagine J is even more durable. So if Justin is fighting comfortably at his pace and Max isn't threatening with his offense, when exactly do you expect JG to get tired enough to allow Max to rack up some rounds?

Fighters have successfully moved up in weight constantly over the years, but they always have an X factor that carries over to the higher weight. Amanda was just as powerful and even faster than Cyborg. Benson Henderson had a lot more experience than Brandon Thatch. DC was faster than Stipe and had enough power to sleep Heavyweights with a single punch. What is Max's X factor here?

sure I have

10 pounds in 3 months for a guy who barely lifts isn't uncommon

tbf, I'm also an easier gainer than most body types. It depends, obviously

but yeah, it could still be done. Especially for a high level athlete with a multitude of tools at their disposal.

I enjoy this common conceit that fans are a collective hive mind that constantly 'contradicts' itself.

Different fans are pleased by different things.

Max vs Gaethje is a waste of time for people who are interested in actual competitive fights. Max is not a lightweight and this fight does nothing to move the division forward. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Belal vs Edwards is fine. The problem with it is that we saw a glimpse of it once and Belal did not look competitive. But he is still the deserving number 1 contender in that weight class. So it is not a waste of time.

Just bleeders will disagree with me and prefer their Max vs Justin slop.
Both these fights will be competitive and you're wrong.

Sean was well established at MW, his prior run had absolutely no bearing on the Adesanya fight.

Not even close to Max moving up to fight Justin
The difference between FW and LW is 10 lbs, and Max is taller than most welterweights.

Dustin was middle of the pack at 145, then went and killed it at 155, so yeah not that big of a deal.

Leon vs Belal at UFC 300 is BS to be honest, however zmax vs Justin is a total banger i just hope the fact that this is for the BMF title doesn't take a spot for an actual real championship fight

i honestly haven’t noticed much complaining about this matchup. It’s unexpected. But most ppl seem to be pretty stoked about it.

I like the fight. I see nothing wrong with it and it is what is expected for a card like this. Id much rather this banger than Justin getting yet another title shot. I like Justin but can we let him get at least 1 more win before getting another title shot? His last 5 fights, 2 have been for the title and he has lost both of those against different opponents. As for Max, this is the perfect fight for him as hes kinda in this no mans land where hes clearly the best featherweight not named Volkanovski and is toward the end of his career so might as well have some fun fights and make some money.

Max is my favorite fighter in the UFC, and even I don't want to see this fight sir.
More because I'd rather see Max stay in his division and take the real title back.
is Jon Jones also one of your favorite fighters, sir?

The difference between FW and LW is 10 lbs, and Max is taller than most welterweights.

Dustin was middle of the pack at 145, then went and killed it at 155, so yeah not that big of a deal.
That's another question entirely, I was just saying that the Strickland comparison was not good

It's likely because Max didn't look great against Poirier so there's no much hype for this one.

I personally rather see Max fight somebody at FW and Justin fight a natural LW.

Fun fight either way, it's just not the "wow" Dana is probably expecting

The fight was pretty competitive from what I can recall. I remember Max giving Poirier trouble at some point. But Poirier's punches had a lot more impact. Because of his size and power.

Max didn't look like a real LW when he took that fight. But I think if he really prepares and takes time to bulk it could be a close.

I don't think this is the mismatch a lot of people make it out to be. But I do favor Gaethje in this fight.

I see mostly negative reactions to the Max vs Gaethje fight, and I can't understand why?

A lot of people crying how Justin should be fighting Makhachev, and how Makhachev should ditch his ramadan, and how the BMF belt is meaningless, as arguments for why this fight shouldn't be happening.

I don't get it, I think it's a great matchup, I think it's perfect for both. Who cares about divisions, and titles, and BMF belts... just look at the fight itself.

You have 2 guys who are really really good, but just not good enough to be champ in their division. They can beat just about anyone else in their weight class, just not the guy holding the belt.

If you look at their recent records they are almost identical in the sense that both lost in a title shot back in 2020, then came back with a couple of wins, then both lost their next title shot in 2022, then both bounced back with 2 wins each since.

Either one of them against the champ in their division is not interesting to me, for one they're rematches (yes, Justin vs Islam is basically a rematch of Justing vs Khabib, and we all know that's how it ends again, we've all seen that movie).

This fight is great first and foremost because of that, because it's not a rematch, they are two legends from different weight classes and we have no idea how it ends.

It's also great because Justin is best known for breaking his opponents, and Max is best known for being unbreakable, he's always there til the very end and he doesn't get tired much, and he doesn't roll over.

So it's either that, or Max vs Volk 4, Justin vs whoever part 2 or 3, or a fresh new matchup that should be a real treat for the fans regardless of stakes or titles.

This is gonna be a war for as long as it lasts, I don't know what else they're gonna add to this card but I could easily see this ending up fight of the night.
I think it's like this: do we want great individual fights, or do we want to know who the best is?

If the latter, then we hope the UFC will hold themselves to some merit based standards.

But the fact is, the paying public wants the big fights. So Dana makes them, the the paying public pays for them. Hard to complain about a guy giving the public what they want.

Fact is, those merit based standards have been weakening for years and we may as well for get about em.

I think it's like this: do we want great individual fights, or do we want to know who the best is?

If the latter, then we hope the UFC will hold themselves to some merit based standards.

But the fact is, the paying public wants the big fights. So Dana makes them, the the paying public pays for them. Hard to complain about a guy giving the public what they want.

Fact is, those merit based standards have been weakening for years and we may as well for get about em.
But we already know who the best is, Max failed to beat Volk in 3 tries, and Gaetjhe was quickly strangled both times he attempted to take the belt, and the guy holding it now would almost certainly do it just as quickly if not more so.

They're both excellent fighters, just not good enough to be champs in their current divisions... might as well fight each other.

Back