Some of you guys are impossible to please

Bro, UFC 300 is 3 months away, how do you expect Max to legitimately bulk to LW from here to then? I follow him on IG, he looks to have gained some holiday weight. I expect him to come in skinny fat like he did for DP.

What a total non answer.

MMmath? No I spoke of physical attributes and some things both do well in the cage. I didn't write out a thorough analysis because to me and many on here these things seem pretty obvious.

I would love to place a bet to prove a point, but unfortunately I live in California and sports books are illegal. I would gladly bet you personally though.

Before you put your money where your mouth is though, I'll extend the courtesy of allowing you to explain where you believe Max can excell against Justin? What openings do you see? Your initial reply didn't seem to include any of this. Just false accusations and the same tired, fence sitting talking points you see regurgitated on here by shersheep.
Well I'm not gonna bet because as I already stated to me this is a 50/50 fight and I have no real confidence betting on either one of them.

You might think it's a mismatch in Justin's favour, but I think Justin vs Makhachev would be even more of a mismatch and outside of a puncher's chance I would give Justin very little chance of winning that one, so what's left for him? More rematches vs Poirier? Chandler? No thanks.

Max could excel the same way he has excelled against pretty much every opponent not named Volkanovski. He can push a pace like no one else, and he can drag it into the later rounds where others usually gas out.

Now if you wanna hang your argument on the one common opponent that the two of them have, which is Dustin Poirier, keep in mind that fight against Max was like 6 years ago, and also keep in mind that Dustin also finished Gaethje back around that time... he couldn't finish Max but he could finish Justin. Even if you wanna put more weight on their more recent fight, it's not as if Gaethje dominated and broke Dustin, he caught him with a big head kick, can literally happen to anyone.... can happen to Cro Cop vs a grappler like Gonzaga... not calling it a fluke or anything, but hardly a foregone conclusion that Justin is the better fighter, especially considering they're 1-1.

And yeah, MMA math is silly. Maybe Justin will win, I don't know... I just know that outside of a big strike like vs Dustin, Gaetjhe basically relies on breaking down and grinding his opponents with volume, and I've never seen Max broken or finished. So most likely Justin will have to win a decision and last the distance against a guy who is known for getting stronger as the fight goes deeper. 50/50.

Justin is a trash brawler. He puts on fun fights except for when he folded like a bitch to khabib. He will never hold a belt so just give him slugfest fights to entertain the fans. Islam would just wrestlefuck him like khabib did.

Bro, UFC 300 is 3 months away, how do you expect Max to legitimately bulk to LW from here to then? I follow him on IG, he looks to have gained some holiday weight. I expect him to come in skinny fat like he did for DP.
Yes UFC 300 is about 3 months away, but why are you assuming max just found out about this fight now? Max may have known this would be his next fight for the last 2 months.

For all we know max has been in the know about this for longer and has been preparing.

it's a good fight. although maybe not so great for max, as i feel like he has a chance of really getting knocked around in this one. if justin catches him and stuns him with that power of his, it could get ugly later on. max has a good chin and i could see him taking all sorts of damage over the course of a number of rounds, as in like a throw in the towel sort of situation. he's getting older so speed is starting to go, and he was never known for his power so i don't see gaethje being in much trouble at any point.

it's a good fight. although maybe not so great for max, as i feel like he has a chance of really getting knocked around in this one. if justin catches him and stuns him with that power of his, it could get ugly later on. max has a good chin and i could see him taking all sorts of damage over the course of a number of rounds, as in like a throw in the towel sort of situation. he's getting older so speed is starting to go, and he was never known for his power so i don't see gaethje being in much trouble at any point.
Maybe, but on the flipside, you could also see Justin spamming dozens of haymakers and kicks that don’t always connect, then comes out in the fourth round breathing with his mouth wide open and Max eats him alive.

That’s the great thing about this fight, it’s going to be a horror show one way or another and I don’t think it’s as predictable as you say.

Dustin made Max look like an amateur

Max has always been a chinny fighter...

At 145 that may have worked, but at 155 it is just brutal to watch

Hope Max doesn't get hurt

I don't think you know what "chinny" means.

Chinny? Man has never even been knocked down through 32 fights and 14 years in the sport despite absorbing the most significant head strikes in UFC history.

Lol literally the least chinny fighter on the roster. Never even been knocked down.

Or been the guy to welcome Aljo to FW.
Honestly I prefer the Kattar matchup, that level of matching worked perfectly for Figueiredo. Champ who just lost the title moves up, fights #5-#8 in the new weight class for a competitive match that's less likely to destroy the guy moving up

Probably takes like 1 year to properly bulk up to the new weight class, so a fight against someone like Kattar is great for the adjustment period of dealing with the new size and reach of opponents

Were people complaining about UFC 200 4 months before it happened?

Seems like Sherdoggers and my second and third ex-wives have something in common after all

- impossible to please
- fond of muscular black men

I could see him gaining 10 pounds of muscle in 3 months.

Seeing as he's basically been a stick and cut weight to make FW for most of his career, I doubt he's ever really lifted weights.

Would definitely be the smart move for him, given how the Poirier fight went, I'd have to imagine he wouldn't have accepted the fight unless he felt he could bridge the weight gap this time.

But I guess we'll see

If he does show up bigger, this becomes a pretty interesting fight imo
Got it, you've never put on muscle in your life.
Yes UFC 300 is about 3 months away, but why are you assuming max just found out about this fight now? Max may have known this would be his next fight for the last 2 months.

For all we know max has been in the know about this for longer and has been preparing.
Because I keep up with him on socials. Dude enjoyed his holidays.
Max a few weeks ago for his son's birthday:

Max a month after fighting KZ:

Well I'm not gonna bet because as I already stated to me this is a 50/50 fight and I have no real confidence betting on either one of them.

You might think it's a mismatch in Justin's favour, but I think Justin vs Makhachev would be even more of a mismatch and outside of a puncher's chance I would give Justin very little chance of winning that one, so what's left for him? More rematches vs Poirier? Chandler? No thanks.

Max could excel the same way he has excelled against pretty much every opponent not named Volkanovski. He can push a pace like no one else, and he can drag it into the later rounds where others usually gas out.

Now if you wanna hang your argument on the one common opponent that the two of them have, which is Dustin Poirier, keep in mind that fight against Max was like 6 years ago, and also keep in mind that Dustin also finished Gaethje back around that time... he couldn't finish Max but he could finish Justin. Even if you wanna put more weight on their more recent fight, it's not as if Gaethje dominated and broke Dustin, he caught him with a big head kick, can literally happen to anyone.... can happen to Cro Cop vs a grappler like Gonzaga... not calling it a fluke or anything, but hardly a foregone conclusion that Justin is the better fighter, especially considering they're 1-1.

And yeah, MMA math is silly. Maybe Justin will win, I don't know... I just know that outside of a big strike like vs Dustin, Gaetjhe basically relies on breaking down and grinding his opponents with volume, and I've never seen Max broken or finished. So most likely Justin will have to win a decision and last the distance against a guy who is known for getting stronger as the fight goes deeper. 50/50.
Outside of this fight is irrelevant, we're talking about this fight. The fact that you believe Islam vs Gaethje isn't interesting doesn't make this fight any less of a mismatch.

I'm not hanging my argument on anything other than basic logic and experience. I never called Justin a better fighter than Dustin. The only one using MMA math is you with your simplistic "rock, paper, scissors" argument. I compared physical attributes based on a similar opponent and used simple logic to deduce why Max wouldn't be successful.

How do you expect Max to push a pace if his opponent doesn't respect him? He ran into the same problems against DP, now imagine JG who is even more durable. So if Justin is fighting comfortably at his pace and Max isn't threatening with his offense, when exactly do you expect JG to get tired enough to allow Max to rack up some rounds?

Fighters have successfully moved up in weight constantly over the years, but they always have an X factor that carries over to the higher weight. Amanda was just as powerful and even faster than Cyborg. Benson Henderson had a lot more experience than Brandon Thatch. DC was faster than Stipe and had enough power to sleep Heavyweights with a single punch. What is Max's X factor here?

Last edited:
People dont put things in the proper context. These are 2 all time greats.

Because it's a fucking stupid fight. His reward for knocking out Dustin is fighting a featherweight (who got beat up by Dustin)? It's not even anywhere near as good a fight as Gaethje vs Dustin or even Gaethje vs Fiziev (imo)

Max is an underrated all-time great, so you can never count him out.

But I just dont like LW for Max. He might be a big FW, but hes an undersized LW.

Back