Silva vs St-Pierre the greatest fight that never was

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BC, Sep 10, 2019.

?

Who would have won?

1. Anderson Silva

45.9%
  2. Georges St-Pierre

54.1%
  1. AlwaysWonder

AlwaysWonder Purple Belt

Why are you so desperate to promote GSP? Aside from the few cult member fanboys on this forum...very few if any people consider GSP for goat status. The guy fought scared and played it safe and boring his entire career. All he cares about is his record but records dont mean shyt if you fight like a sissy.

Besides its embarrassing to even compare GSP to a GOAT legend like Anderson Silva.

Bottom line....

There will be many more GSPs but there will likely never be another Anderson Silva.

Lint2 and VVarhead like this.
  2. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Yellow Card Yellow Card

fans would have hated it gsp wouldhave wrestle fucked silva

3. AlwaysWonder

AlwaysWonder Purple Belt

GSP would never even have balls to fight Anderson Silva and if he did...he would lose...with style.

4. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Yellow Card Yellow Card

anyone who trains at a half ass decent level at a mma gym knows otherwise but fat mma fans who watch mma whoa re at a loss anytime a grappling exchange sure they think roid head wins the sad thing is gsp owns anderson even on his roids

Intellidamus and Ironnik94 like this.
  5. Intellidamus

Intellidamus Brown Belt

I don’t think you even believe this.

6. AlwaysWonder

AlwaysWonder Purple Belt

source.gif
    I do and so do you.

Lint2 likes this.
  7. Intellidamus

Intellidamus Brown Belt

Gif made me laugh. But still think you know GSP’s wrestling would have given Silva major problems.

Lint2 likes this.
  8. McDego

McDego Green Belt

I was talking about the catch weight thing for years...?

Said it earlier in this thread before you posted the article.

9. McDego

McDego Green Belt

It's facts...
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/79549.html
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/84802.html
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/78667.html
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/77826.html

Everything that Sonnen did wasn't enough. He was finished twice.

LOL!

http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/79549.html
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/84802.html
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/78667.html
    http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/77826.html

How did he react to good wrestlers? He submitted them! Before the Sonnen fight, Silva's TDD was something like 93% if I remember correctly. Not sure on the exact number.

We can't say what would or wouldn't have happened.

We can only speculate, and it's mainly GSP's fault. Thanks a lot, Georges!

10. Franklin U.

Franklin U. Gold Belt

" prime anderson" and his size would be a problem for gsp- regardless of how a great wrestler he became in cage. The Anderson who moved up with great ease to embarrass and injure sandman would just flat out beat GSP. What's amazing is back in that day ( champ-champ, prime - prime), I dont remember Vegas having a prop for the only super fight that people were talking about at the time( I'm probably wrong- there probably was, just didnt pay attention. I wouldve set THAT scenario at -175/ +155 in favor of Silva which is a mild / slight favorite border-)

11. Gmork

Gmork Blue Belt

Always thought this was going to happen, eventually. Still weird to think it never did. If I had to bet? GSP wins a relatively dominant decision, with some moments of drama along the way.

12. BoTyson

BoTyson White Belt

Its pretty obvious GSP would have won, it would have looked alot like Conor vs Khabib.

13. AleYeah

AleYeah Jacked white boy

Probably the greatest "what if" fight, and the close nature of the poll reflects that. I think Spider takes it, provided he could use his range to keep GSP off him for a round or so, long enough to start popping him with some strikes.

14. Perrichet

Perrichet Fuck Boris

Ping beat Anderoid

GSP finished Ping.

Lol at Anderoid losing to a guy GSP cherry picked

15. GrayArea

GrayArea Purple Belt

Gsp ducked Silva in their primes because he was too big

Gsp fought Ping from the same weight class

16. Intellidamus

Intellidamus Brown Belt

Lol at the, “GSP was too scared to go up to fight Silva”. Well when you call out the smaller guy it’s on you to bring your ass down to his division and fight him. “But Andy was too big”. Years later Andy is willing to go down to 170 to fight Conor.
    The fight should have happened but never did. That’s all there is to it.

Ironnik94 and DesiredUserName like this.
  17. AnotherOldGuy

AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

GSP had never fought at 185 and was smaller than Anderson (otherwise why would Anderson have a harder time to make 170 than GSP?). Asking him to give Anderson an advantage by moving up in weight without the UFC giving GSP a big bonus (say $5 million) is asking him to make what would be a criminally bad business decision -- give your competition a big advantage without financial compensation? You'd be laughed out of any business meeting for suggesting something like that.

Moreover, in the cage Anderson would rehydrate to 15 pounds heavier than GSP after 24 hours. One way they could have had the fight at 185 is to have the weigh-in just before the fight -- I suspect GSP would have gone for that, but not Anderson.

I completely agree about GSP moving up for an easy 185 fight (which he was losing until he caught Bisping), and a fight he never earned (he hadn't fought in four years and it looked like he hadn't even bothered training for more than a week before the fight judging by out of shape he was). But that has nothing to do with the business decision of giving your competition an unpaid for advantage -- the UFC should have said "whoever changes weight gets $5 million for doing so". They were too cheap to do it, so neither wanted to change weight.

I would add that if you're talking about simply getting rid of weight division, I completely agree. Every combat sport (wrestling, boxing, judo, BJJ, and yes, MMA) started without them. However if there weren't weight divisions nobody would care that much about Anderson vs GSP, because neither would be even top 10 let alone champion. But if you're going to have weight divisions in the sport, then its silly not to stick to them. Either have them or get rid of them (I vote for the latter), but cherry picking when to follow them strikes me as goofy.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Ironnik94 likes this.
  18. AnotherOldGuy

AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

Using the same logic, Silva was happy to fight 170'ers for years, then suddenly couldn't make 170 to fight GSP.

The reality was, bodies change over time. In the four years GSP sat around doing nothing but enjoying the good life he put on weight (and got slower and out of shape). Believing that its strange that GSP went up in weight from 170 to 185 over many years but not strange that Anderson went from 170 to 185 is incredibly biased -- think about it.

Ironnik94, Perrichet and Intellidamus like this.
  19. Bouboumaster

Bouboumaster Green Belt

But would he submit him?
    GSP is a black belt in bjj also, and trained by Danaher, who is as legit as anyone else. He's no Sonnen.

Also, Sonnen (who fight Silva and trained with GSP) already said that GSP was the superior of the two, so there's that.

Intellidamus likes this.
  20. Perrichet

Perrichet Fuck Boris

Anderoid ducked Jones and Shogun in their primes because he was shook.

Anderoid fought Irvin, Forrest and Bonnar from the same weight class