Silva vs St-Pierre the greatest fight that never was

Who would have won?

• Total voters
I think CC vs Fedor was about the highest level of two fighters we've seen, even more so when you consider they were heavyweights.

I have faith in GSP beating Anderson though, I don't see a huge size difference between the two at an openweight, I see GSP frustrating Anderson with takedowns.

a6a1d241e9a5b3d461b1f0bc8f6c25c0.jpg

The pre-fight hype, and post fight gloating and tears on here would have been amazing. Then throw in the actual fight itself
giphy.gif

Silva vs jones would've been better

Anderson Silva would’ve dummied him. Hendo & Sonnen are great wrestlers that are bigger than GSP and got finished. GSP would take Silva down, but it’s a 5 round fight, would just be a matter of time before GSP got rocked. Silva was active and dangerous from his back too; GSP bleeds easily while Silva has thick Skin, Silva would deliver more damage from guard than GSP would from on top. Silva’s striking was absolutely lethal, add to that a size and reach advantage, it would be a massacre! It’s just a horrible matchup for GSP anyway you slice it.

Silva absolutely murdered opponents in his prime and made it look easy. He made prime Dan Henderson look like an amateur, the same Hendo that nearly killed Bisping. Prime Silva was on a whole different level. GSP literally had no chance of winning, props to GSP’s intelligence for recognizing this, he absolutely knew what would happen. Prime vs Prime there was no one better than Anderson.

Last edited:
IMO, GSP would dominate Silva, barring getting caught by a sneaky kick.

Weidman and Sonnen both showed Silva's massive holes in his grappling, and GSP has one of the best fight strategy teams of all time.

Silva's taunting antics also wouldn't work on GSP. GSP arguably has the highest fight IQ ever, which would have ended up frustrating Silva and making him scared to engage (see: Diaz vs Silva)
Weidman and Sonnen were willing to get hit to get in close enough to get the TD. GSP would be shooting for TDs from halfway across the cage.

In 2010, Silva would've finished GSP. There's a reason that fight didn't happen, and we all know who didn't want it.

Well would you look at that. My memory was pretty spot on, eh? Almost every single thing I said earlier was covered in this one article. Lol!

Even you try to say how much "bigger" Silva was.

He's 4 inches taller and has a longer reach. I'll give you that, but taller does not equate to bigger.

If they both weigh the same, neither is "bigger" than the other. If Silva has an extra 4-8 lbs over him in the cage, do you really think that would be the determining factor? Against the "GOAT" GSP?
Except the whole catch weight thing

Sonnen was able to outstrike Anderson with a takedown threat.

No he wasn't. You only remember like two moments where Sonnen landed strikes, Anderson won every other standing exchange and actually dropped Chael with an elbow. Watch the fight again.

What would you suggest as a "dream fight" that never happened then? Who would you replace them with.
I was just being contrarian, I admitted I wasn't actually serious somewhere later in the thread.

Bumping quality post. MMA at its finest.
Would have given the nod to Silva.

All I could remember was Silva matrixing all competition and that GSP wouldn’t have be able to control distance with jabs for long.

On the flip side, if GSP were able to take him down, control him, and GNP in back-to-back frames, who knows.

If Silva vs St-Pierre took place in 2013 with both fighters at the height of their win streaks, with a combined 21 UFC title fight victories at the time, that would have easily been the greatest fight of all time in the history of the UFC

And Dana wouldn't lay down the money for it to happen.

Lol. Silva offered to meet him halfway at 177.5 for the superfight and GSP declined. Silva was stepping up and fighting at LHW his WW days were long gone. GSP knew what would happen if he fought Silva. White and Silva tried to make it happen, but GSP made excuses every time “there are still great challenges in my division” “If I move up it will be permanently” “Not fair to my division” GSP wanted no part of Anderson Silva and declined the fight every time. Facts.
what a load of horseshit , thats not facts, thats just your one eyed bullshit

No he wasn't. You only remember like two moments where Sonnen landed strikes, Anderson won every other standing exchange and actually dropped Chael with an elbow. Watch the fight again.

?

Sonnen landed plenty of strikes on the feet and dropped Anderson twice

The best Silva fight that didn't happen would have been Shogun IMHO, say Rua gets the decision against Machida first time as he should have and then Anderson steps up to fight him still on that form before the further ACL injury.

?

Sonnen landed plenty of strikes on the feet and dropped Anderson twice
Gsp ducked Silva in their primes and then shamelessly cherrypicked a battleworn Ping and ran from Whittaker

Last edited:
Gsp ducked Silva in their primes and then shamelessly cherrypicked a battleworn Ping

Anderson ducked GSP when he intentionally put on a stinker with GSP cageside in Abu Dhabi.

Battleworn Ping beat Anderoid

"Georges St-Pierre does not believe he would have any advantage against Anderson Silva, even in the wrestling department"

Humble in knowing that he was out of his element if he were to fight Silva.

He knew. He could accept it, why can't the fanboys?

Because in insight 20/20, we saw how Silva reacted to good wrestlers, and GSP was the best in the World at the time. GSP would have put Silva on his ass all night, and wouldn't have been caught by a triangle choke.

Anderson ducked GSP when he intentionally put on a stinker with GSP cageside in Abu Dhabi.

Battleworn Ping beat Anderoid
Nah. Past prime post leg break 40 year old Silva and 46 year old Hendo made Ping battleworn, which is why he was ripe for the picking for georges.

Prime Anderson murks Georges and then Ping in the same 25 minutes.

Back