Silva vs St-Pierre the greatest fight that never was

Who would have won?

• Total voters

BC

Helax
@Gold
Reaction score
After Khabib dominated Poirier it got me thinking about Khabib vs Tony and I was thinking it would be a shame if we did not get to see them fight for whatever circumstance.

And then I thought about Silva vs GSP and I was thinking about how great of a fight that would have been.

Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre are two of the greatest UFC champions of all time and two of the best fighters to ever compete in MMA.

25jgi0i.jpg

During their reigns as champion, Silva and St-Pierre ran through their respective divisions. It appeared inevitable that these two legends would meet at some point as they were clearing out their divisions.

71556BC6-1422-0E8C-9AF881665131D5B7.jpg

latest

In April 2010, it appeared like we would finally be close to seeing this super fight. Georges St-Pierre had just successfully defended his belt in a decisive decision victory against Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy.

Anderson Silva was set to meet Demian Maia at UFC 112, St-Pierre was in attendance to spectate. Silva went on to put on a lackluster performance against Maia, afterwards Dana White refused to place the belt around Silva’s waist and stated that Anderson did not deserve a fight against St-Pierre.

mma_e_maia-silva01_576.jpg

dana-white-post-ufc-112.jpg

<6>

Over the next two years Silva and St-Pierre went on to defend their belts multiple times,
image.JPG

2447045.main_image.jpg

it appeared as though we would potentially get this matchup at last. As St-Pierre was set to meet Carlos Condit, Dana White discussed potential plans for this super fight.

Dana White: Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre Superfight Likely for Cowboys Stadium

https://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/201...a-vs-georges-st-pierre-super-fight-likely-for

"I think we're pretty close," said White. "I mean if Georges St-Pierre beats [Carlos] Condit, that could be the next fight."

If the match comes about, the most likely venue candidate is Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX.

"If that fight happens, it will probably happen at Dallas, TX stadium," said White.

Ultimately the fight never fell into fruition. Although Georges St-Pierre was victorious against Carlos Condit, his next fight was against Nick Diaz.

AndersonGSPPRess.jpg

Anderson Silva would go on to lose to Chris Weidman and St-Pierre went on to hang up his gloves later that year.

If Silva vs St-Pierre took place in 2013 with both fighters at the height of their win streaks, with a combined 21 UFC title fight victories at the time, that would have easily been the greatest fight of all time in the history of the UFC.

Silva ducked GSP. He could’ve easily made WW. He was even originally being brought over to the UFC as a WW to fight Hughes.

The narrative is that GSP ducked him by not wanting to move up. But nobody talks about how Silva also refused to move down to fight him.

a lay and pray artist vs a kung fu ass-clown

whoopdie fucking doo!

a lay and pray artist vs a kung fu ass-clown

whoopdie fucking doo!

GSP never really laid and prayed, he was always looking to advance position and would land ground and pound and look for submissions, although he had some performances that were not exactly the most entertaining to some fight fans, the narrative that GSP was a lay and pray artist has always been silly to me.

Silva ducked GSP. He could’ve easily made WW. He was even originally being brought over to the UFC as a WW to fight Hughes.

The narrative is that GSP ducked him by not wanting to move up. But nobody talks about how Silva also refused to move down to fight him.
Just cause silva fought at welterweight early doesnt mean he could easily make it again. In fact it would have been very bad for his health if he tried. He fought at light heavyweight and looked like he was there his entire career

GSP never really laid and prayed, he was always looking to advance position and would land ground and pound and look for submissions, although he had some performances that were not exactly the most entertaining to some fight fans, the narrative that GSP was a lay and pray artist has always been silly to me.
I know, I normally argue in the other direction, and Silva certainly has an impressive enough highlight reel

Personal preference but I would have much rather seen Randy vs undefeated Fedor than this fight.

Well written thread,

But this again

<{chips}>

Gonna take the door and leave before the shitstorm of 10+ pages starts.

Personal preference but I would have much rather seen Randy vs undefeated Fedor than this fight.

<mma4>

Another great lost fight.

Love Couture but Fedor would have beaten him into a living dieded

Just cause silva fought at welterweight early doesnt mean he could easily make it again. In fact it would have been very bad for his health if he tried. He fought at light heavyweight and looked like he was there his entire career
He said last year he could still make Welterweight for a Conor fight.
Silva has never said he couldn’t make Welterweight.

So if Silva in 2018 is willing to make Welterweight for a McGregor fight. But wasn’t willing to do it for a GSP fight a decade prior. What does that tell you?

So if Silva in 2018 is willing to make Welterweight for a McGregor fight. But wasn’t willing to do it for a GSP fight a decade prior. What does that tell you?
Anderson silva was talking shit.

After Khabib dominated Poirier it got me thinking about Khabib vs Tony and I was thinking it would be a shame if we did not get to see them fight for whatever circumstance.

And then I thought about Silva vs GSP and I was thinking about how great of a fight that would have been.

Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre are two of the greatest UFC champions of all time and two of the best fighters to ever compete in MMA.

25jgi0i.jpg

During their reigns as champion, Silva and St-Pierre ran through their respective divisions. It appeared inevitable that these two legends would meet at some point as they were clearing out their divisions.

latest

In April 2010, it appeared like we would finally be close to seeing this super fight. Georges St-Pierre had just successfully defended his belt in a decisive decision victory against Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy.

Anderson Silva was set to meet Demian Maia at UFC 112, St-Pierre was in attendance to spectate. Silva went on to put on a lackluster performance against Maia, afterwards Dana White refused to place the belt around Silva’s waist and stated that Anderson did not deserve a fight against St-Pierre.

<6>

Over the next two years Silva and St-Pierre went on to defend their belts multiple times,
image.JPG

2447045.main_image.jpg

it appeared as though we would potentially get this matchup at last. As St-Pierre was set to meet Carlos Condit, Dana White discussed potential plans for this super fight.

Dana White: Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre Superfight Likely for Cowboys Stadium

https://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/201...a-vs-georges-st-pierre-super-fight-likely-for

"I think we're pretty close," said White. "I mean if Georges St-Pierre beats [Carlos] Condit, that could be the next fight."

If the match comes about, the most likely venue candidate is Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX.

"If that fight happens, it will probably happen at Dallas, TX stadium," said White.

Ultimately the fight never fell into fruition. Although Georges St-Pierre was victorious against Carlos Condit, his next fight was against Nick Diaz.

AndersonGSPPRess.jpg

Anderson Silva would go on to lose to Chris Weidman and St-Pierre went on to hang up his gloves later that year.

If Silva vs St-Pierre took place in 2013 with both fighters at the height of their win streaks, with a combined 21 UFC title fight victories at the time, that would have easily been the greatest fight of all time in the history of the UFC.
Anderson never wanted this fight , If he did he would have offered an catchweight fight like he did with Conor.
GSP would have dominated and beat the steroids out of Silva to a 50-44 decision.

Lol at the poll results so far. GSP ducked Silva for 10 years and for good reason. He knew he would have been KOd

GSP fans are much more confident in their hero’s fighting abilities than GSP himself

25jgi0i.jpg

latest

<6>

image.JPG

2447045.main_image.jpg

AndersonGSPPRess.jpg

Would have been an amazing fight, and in all honesty it could have gone either way.

Each at their best was in, different ways, so far above their contemporaries that it wasn't close.
On any given day, Prime Anderson with the universe on the line is who I'm picking against almost every fighter in MMA history. That's just how I feel
But GSP might be the most skilled fighter ever to compete, in terms of pure textbook skills - its either him or DJ. So its hard to pick anyone in his weight class or around that over him.

I mean we're talking rare air here, I think fans underestimate just how much better the really top P4P guys (Fedor, Jon, Anderson, GSP, DJ etc) are than anyone else.

I'd pick Anderson, just because 25 minutes is a long to to survive against the most dangerous fighter in MMA history plus his size, plus his distance control is better than anyone who GSP fought. GSP held a footwork advantage over everyone he fought - but not here. I think he would have been forced to be uncomfortable, and eventually some limb would catch GSP slipping and that would be all she wrote.

Silva would've KOed the Canadian stiff. There are levels to this game. GSP was smart in avoiding the fight

@ GSP thanks for not giving the fans what they deserved.

Anderson would have put Georges out cold or Georges would’ve tapped to strikes

Georges simply wasn’t as confident in himself as his biased fans were

Last edited:

Fedor would have been a bad match up for Randy, I don't think it would have been that competitive. Fedor vs Brock was more interesting around that time.

Last edited:
Back