Silva vs St-Pierre the greatest fight that never was

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BC, Sep 10, 2019.

?

Who would have won?

1. Anderson Silva

45.9%
  2. Georges St-Pierre

54.1%
  1. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Geodor GemeSianenPo

Said no one ever... except GSP is almost winning this poll 2:1. God damn you're dumb.

Mike, Intellidamus and KID Yamamoto like this.
  2. KID Yamamoto

KID Yamamoto PREMIUM DYNAMITE

Silva should have fought the strikeforce champs that came out. Like GSP did.

Instead, he got sparked out by Weidman.

3. Andreh

Andreh Brown Belt

The opposite... Most sherdoggers are dumbs, and people who don't always knew it. No news.
    {<jordan}

4. Intellidamus

Intellidamus Brown Belt

I’m sure that made sense in some unknown dialect in some alternate universe.

5. GoshiShun17

GoshiShun17 Brown Belt

No disrespect to Georges but him winning this poll makes it seem like more of a popularity thing than people logically thinking.

GrayArea and Andreh like this.
  6. Intellidamus

Intellidamus Brown Belt

No disrespect to you but I feel like many people honestly believe GSP would have beat Andy. It’s not like Andy hadn’t been exposed by lesser wrestlers before.
    And honestly most people probably feel the same way when they see a poll on here that doesn’t reflect their personal opinion.

GoshiShun17 likes this.
  7. jban

jban Black Belt

Like i mentioned earlier- GSP should not be the main guy to blame for the Superfight not to happen.
    GSP and Firas Zahabi told the UFC they would face Silva at 170 pounds for the WW title after Condit.
    Silva's camp declined, saying it would be cruel if Silva was forced to move down to 170.

If Silva wanted the fight bad enough, he could have made the cut to 170. Like how Edgar
    did after he called out Aldo. He moved to 145 to meet the champ. Silva could have done the same.
    Like how Silva said he did not want to move up to face Shogun or Jones, GSP should not get all the blame.
    Silva refused the fight at 170 pounds.

Anderson Silva's Conditioning Coach: Fighting GSP at 170 Would Be a 'Crime'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ng-coach-fighting-gsp-at-170-would-be-a-crime

Intellidamus likes this.
  8. GoshiShun17

GoshiShun17 Brown Belt

I'm not gonna sit here and act like I'm confident one way or the other.
    They are both amongst the best pure athletes we've seen compete. Both extremely high fight IQ. But I still stand by my statement.

Intellidamus likes this.
  9. Pulver-ize

Pulver-ize Purple Belt

I voted,, but this isnt the greatest fight that never was..

10. ryan3434

ryan3434 Purple Belt

I remember Georges saying 'I will fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me at 170'

So if Silva said he could make 170 and gsp said I'll fight whoever. you gotta ask why Silva didnt do this

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Intellidamus and jban like this.
  11. CombatCyborg

CombatCyborg Black Belt

I think GSP said outright that Anderson is too big, I agree with him. He fought lanky guys like Condit and Diaz but Anderson still outreaches them and him while also being heavier. It wasn't the worst matchup for him, I think an athletic 185er with wrestling would be worse, but it was a terrible matchup. I can't say it was a duck because it's the division above but it was GSP's fight to take and he didn't step up. Probably thinking about the last great ass whooping he had delivered as champion vs BJ.

Killswitch-on and GoshiShun17 like this.
  12. CRuck1980

CRuck1980 Gold Belt

When has gsp ever lay and pray

Mike likes this.
  13. jban

jban Black Belt

GSP confirmed this on the Rogan Podcast, and Dana mentioned this in a scrum in 2012. GSP said he would fight Silva
    at 170 pounds after Condit, and Silva's camp declined saying they were looking at a 178-180 pound Catchweight. Those were Dana's words also. If Silva could have made 170 pounds, but GSP declined the fight- then you can say GSP ducked
    Silva. You cannot duck fighters that were not in your weight class. Like how Silva declined Shogun and Jones.

Intellidamus and ryan3434 like this.
  14. CRuck1980

CRuck1980 Gold Belt

You can't duck someone whos not in your division

Mike and jban like this.
  15. CRuck1980

CRuck1980 Gold Belt

Gsp fought the mw champ, Jake shields

KID Yamamoto likes this.
  16. AnotherOldGuy

AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

Depends. Some people are thinking the fight would have happened at 185, and so they pick Anderson. Others think the fight would have happened at 170, and they pick GSP.

I'd go along with that myself. At 170 it'd be GSP, at 185 Anderson. The OP didn't say the weight the fight was at, so everyone is free to choose it for themselves. I didn't vote because I couldn't pick between 170 and 185, so couldn't pick the winner.

GoshiShun17 likes this.
  17. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

I think GSP would have 50-45'd Silva in a very boring and uninteresting fashion. Silva is one of my favorite fighters, and back in the day I thought he would win, but now I think he would have been grapple-fucked to a lopsided decision. While I recognize that Silva had a broken rib (allegedly) during the first Chael Sonnen fight, I think that's exactly how the fight vs GSP would have gone...well, with the exception of GSP actually landing any stunning or spectacular punches like Chael did.

18. ryan3434

ryan3434 Purple Belt

50 45ing Silva would be boring? I can see making the case that it would be boring when he does it to a Dan Hardy but to Silva?

19. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

Holding someone on the ground for 24+ minutes is boring regardless of who it is that's being held on the ground. I also would suggest that Silva's striking was leaps and bounds beyond the striking of Hardy, so GSP wouldn't do a single damned thing except for hold Silva on the ground and wait for the bell. There would be zero serious striking attempts, zero submission attempts, and zero anything beyond just enough "action" by GSP to keep the fight on the ground. Silva's weakness was dominant wrestlers and he had a tough 1st round versus Dan Henderson, and Sonnen took him down pretty much at will.

Note : I'm not saying GSP was a LnP fighter, but in a fight versus Silva he would take absolutely ZERO chances to do anything beyond getting the fight to the ground. Of course this is my opinion and that's about the best we can really come up with since the fight never actually happened.

20. ryan3434

ryan3434 Purple Belt

We can agree to disagree than. Forcing one's will on a legend is not a boring thing