Silva vs St-Pierre the greatest fight that never was

Who would have won?

• Total voters
Silva should have fought the strikeforce champs that came out. Like GSP did.

Instead, he got sparked out by Weidman.

Said no one ever... except GSP is almost winning this poll 2:1. God damn you're dumb.
No disrespect to Georges but him winning this poll makes it seem like more of a popularity thing than people logically thinking.

No disrespect to Georges but him winning this poll makes it seem like more of a popularity thing than people logically thinking.
No disrespect to you but I feel like many people honestly believe GSP would have beat Andy. It’s not like Andy hadn’t been exposed by lesser wrestlers before.
And honestly most people probably feel the same way when they see a poll on here that doesn’t reflect their personal opinion.

Like i mentioned earlier- GSP should not be the main guy to blame for the Superfight not to happen.
GSP and Firas Zahabi told the UFC they would face Silva at 170 pounds for the WW title after Condit.
Silva's camp declined, saying it would be cruel if Silva was forced to move down to 170.

If Silva wanted the fight bad enough, he could have made the cut to 170. Like how Edgar
did after he called out Aldo. He moved to 145 to meet the champ. Silva could have done the same.
Like how Silva said he did not want to move up to face Shogun or Jones, GSP should not get all the blame.
Silva refused the fight at 170 pounds.

Anderson Silva's Conditioning Coach: Fighting GSP at 170 Would Be a 'Crime'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ng-coach-fighting-gsp-at-170-would-be-a-crime

No disrespect to you but I feel like many people honestly believe GSP would have beat Andy. It’s not like Andy hadn’t been exposed by lesser wrestlers before.
And honestly most people probably feel the same way when they see a poll on here that doesn’t reflect their personal opinion.
I'm not gonna sit here and act like I'm confident one way or the other.
They are both amongst the best pure athletes we've seen compete. Both extremely high fight IQ. But I still stand by my statement.

I voted,, but this isnt the greatest fight that never was..

Anderson's camp offered GSP a catchweight bout multiple times, and Silva eventually said he would do either 170 or 185.

He fought the entire first portion of his career at 168 and was able to easily drop or gain weight until he hit 40-ish.

It was GSP that never took the fight and made excuses like he couldn't put on enough muscle, would need so much time to do it, and would have to stay at 185 permanently if he did. Funny he made 185 easily to fight Bisping, and is now talking about going down to 155, eh?

GSP, his camp, and his fans were constantly saying how much bigger Silva was, even though GSP religiously walked at 193-198, and people were even photoshopping comparison pics making GSP look like 8-10 inches shorter than Silva.

Were you not around during this time?
I remember Georges saying 'I will fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me at 170'

So if Silva said he could make 170 and gsp said I'll fight whoever. you gotta ask why Silva didnt do this

Last edited:
I think GSP said outright that Anderson is too big, I agree with him. He fought lanky guys like Condit and Diaz but Anderson still outreaches them and him while also being heavier. It wasn't the worst matchup for him, I think an athletic 185er with wrestling would be worse, but it was a terrible matchup. I can't say it was a duck because it's the division above but it was GSP's fight to take and he didn't step up. Probably thinking about the last great ass whooping he had delivered as champion vs BJ.

I remember Georges saying 'I will fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me at 170'

So if Silva said he could make 170 and gap said I'll fight whoever. you gotta ask why Silva didnt do this

GSP confirmed this on the Rogan Podcast, and Dana mentioned this in a scrum in 2012. GSP said he would fight Silva
at 170 pounds after Condit, and Silva's camp declined saying they were looking at a 178-180 pound Catchweight. Those were Dana's words also. If Silva could have made 170 pounds, but GSP declined the fight- then you can say GSP ducked
Silva. You cannot duck fighters that were not in your weight class. Like how Silva declined Shogun and Jones.

Lol at the poll results so far. GSP ducked Silva for 10 years and for good reason. He knew he would have been KOd

GSP fans are much more confident in their hero’s fighting abilities than GSP himself

You can't duck someone whos not in your division

Depends. Some people are thinking the fight would have happened at 185, and so they pick Anderson. Others think the fight would have happened at 170, and they pick GSP.

I'd go along with that myself. At 170 it'd be GSP, at 185 Anderson. The OP didn't say the weight the fight was at, so everyone is free to choose it for themselves. I didn't vote because I couldn't pick between 170 and 185, so couldn't pick the winner.

I think GSP would have 50-45'd Silva in a very boring and uninteresting fashion. Silva is one of my favorite fighters, and back in the day I thought he would win, but now I think he would have been grapple-fucked to a lopsided decision. While I recognize that Silva had a broken rib (allegedly) during the first Chael Sonnen fight, I think that's exactly how the fight vs GSP would have gone...well, with the exception of GSP actually landing any stunning or spectacular punches like Chael did.

I think GSP would have 50-45'd Silva in a very boring and uninteresting fashion.
50 45ing Silva would be boring? I can see making the case that it would be boring when he does it to a Dan Hardy but to Silva?

50 45ing Silva would be boring? I can see making the case that it would be boring when he does it to a Dan Hardy but to Silva?

Holding someone on the ground for 24+ minutes is boring regardless of who it is that's being held on the ground. I also would suggest that Silva's striking was leaps and bounds beyond the striking of Hardy, so GSP wouldn't do a single damned thing except for hold Silva on the ground and wait for the bell. There would be zero serious striking attempts, zero submission attempts, and zero anything beyond just enough "action" by GSP to keep the fight on the ground. Silva's weakness was dominant wrestlers and he had a tough 1st round versus Dan Henderson, and Sonnen took him down pretty much at will.

Note : I'm not saying GSP was a LnP fighter, but in a fight versus Silva he would take absolutely ZERO chances to do anything beyond getting the fight to the ground. Of course this is my opinion and that's about the best we can really come up with since the fight never actually happened.

Holding someone on the ground for 24+ minutes is boring regardless of who it is that's being held on the ground. I also would suggest that Silva's striking was leaps and bounds beyond the striking of Hardy, so GSP wouldn't do a single damned thing except for hold Silva on the ground and wait for the bell. There would be zero serious striking attempts, zero submission attempts, and zero anything beyond just enough "action" by GSP to keep the fight on the ground. Silva's weakness was dominant wrestlers and he had a tough 1st round versus Dan Henderson, and Sonnen took him down pretty much at will.

Note : I'm not saying GSP was a LnP fighter, but in a fight versus Silva he would take absolutely ZERO chances to do anything beyond getting the fight to the ground. Of course this is my opinion and that's about the best we can really come up with since the fight never actually happened.
We can agree to disagree than. Forcing one's will on a legend is not a boring thing

Back