Should we assume Canelo beats whoever he is scheduled to fight.

His resume doesn't tell the story. When he fought the best in guy he arguably lost both times. He arguably lost to Lara and in fact may have lost to trout. Like I said lomachenko destroyed rigo. Canelo did not destroy GGG or in fact any dangerous competition hes faced except kovalev.

Ive given canelo props for the kovalev KO. And yes canelos resume is deep but his actual performances arent that impressive

Does anyone rate the Rigo win particularly high? I don't recall most people giving Spence much credit for dominating Garcia, and Garcia was the #1 rated fighter the weight below Spence, not a near 40 year old guy coming up two weight classes who didn't have a top win since 2013. Edging Golovkin on the cards (and his win in fight #2 is completely legitimate) is far more impressive than any win on Lomachenko's resume.

Does anyone rate the Rigo win particularly high? I don't recall most people giving Spence much credit for dominating Garcia, and Garcia was the #1 rated fighter the weight below Spence, not a near 40 year old guy coming up two weight classes who didn't have a top win since 2013.

Please. People only discredited that win after it happened.

Please. People only discredited that win after it happened.

Uh, did you read much in the leadup? With the exception of ESPN hyping it as something incredible, there were tons of people who were very skeptical of it being competitive. Do you think it's much more impressive than Spence/Garcia?

Uh, did you read much in the leadup? With the exception of ESPN hyping it as something incredible, there were tons of people who were very skeptical of it being competitive. Do you think it's much more impressive than Spence/Garcia?

Yes rigo is better than Garcia

And LOL lead up. You need boxing forums and ESPN to think for you?

Yes rigo is better than Garcia

Is a 37 year old Rigo who hadn't fought a top fighter in nearly 5 years and was moving up two weight classes better than a prime Garcia who was moving up one class from where he was rated #1? Maybe he was, but if he was, there really isn't much difference and I'll say again, Spence gets almost no credit for that win (which, aside from the fact that he showed some good skills, isn't really wrong in my view).

You're barely giving Canelo credit for being the one moving up two weight classes against a 36 year old fighter, yet when Lomachenko brings a guy up two weight classes it's a great win?

Is a 37 year old Rigo who hadn't fought a top fighter in nearly 5 years better than a prime Garcia who was moving up one class from where he was rated #1? Maybe he was, but if he was, there really isn't much difference and I'll say again, Spence gets almost no credit for that win (which, aside from the fact that he showed some good skills, isn't really wrong in my view).

Yes he is. Hes a young 37, undefeated except for loma.

And I do give Spence credit. Dont put words in my mouth.

@JayE I didn't answer your point about kovalev vs rigo as wins.

My answer is that 36 year old kovalev had been koed twice before canelo fought him. Rigo wasnt.

His resume doesn't tell the story. When he fought the best in guy he arguably lost both times. He arguably lost to Lara and in fact may have lost to trout. Like I said lomachenko destroyed rigo. Canelo did not destroy GGG or in fact any dangerous competition hes faced except kovalev.

Ive given canelo props for the kovalev KO. And yes canelos resume is deep but his actual performances arent that impressive
eh, I honestly believe I could do this with practically any fighters resume and make them sound like a complete can.

eh, I honestly believe I could do this with practically any fighters resume and make them sound like a complete can.

Yeah but instead you troll over canelo

Given that any close round will be given to Canelo, it's almost impossible for him to lose any fight unless he takes someone that is much bigger than him and would actually hurt him and put him out. He will probably stay away from LHW (and even there only see Beterbiev capable of doing that) now but otherwise he pretty much can't lose because a) he is very competent and one of the best active boxers and b) he has one of the best chins.

So how exactly can Canelo lose? There is absolutely nobody in any of the divisions he will continue fighting in that can outclass him clearly, or beat him by such a wide margin that giving a Canelo decision would raise enough eyebrows anymore. Canelo is just automatically expected to get it.

I don't think people realize just how big of an edge getting the benefit of the doubt in most close rounds is. Hell, DAZN even promotes their Canelo bias via the commentators nowadays and nobody cares much. And why wouldn't they do their best to protect their most important asset given their investment and current situation..

So I personally expect Canelo to continue winning for a very long time, with a few "close" decisions here and there where he was never in any danger of losing really, and the droolers on the forum going like "well yeah it could've gone either way" after Canelo wins his 7-8th contested decision vs. someone competent. Since let's face it's, he does not shy away from competition, that's for sure. And why would he?

The concept of the benefit of the doubt, in terms of judging in combat sports cannot be understated. it’s really a beneficial concept to understand, and I’m glad someone pointed this out.

you see a lot of fighters benefit from this. Sometimes we refer to it as “home field advantage” but it can extend far beyond that.

some fighters carry this around with them, and it’s responsible for some of the totally absurd decisions that we see. Certainly not all, but it definitely influences things in subtle ways we don’t always appreciate.

Yes he is. Hes a young 37, undefeated except for loma.

And I do give Spence credit. Dont put words in my mouth.

@JayE I didn't answer your point about kovalev vs rigo as wins.

My answer is that 36 year old kovalev had been koed twice before canelo fought him. Rigo wasnt.

I mean, we had a guy in Rigo's camp who was telling us about Rigo coming down 30-40 pounds just to get the fight. Rigondeaux was an incredible talent who was mostly outsized at 122. He's going to be fighting, at the age of at least 40, at 118, in all likelihood. Incredibly talented fighter at his best, but the guy hadn't fought a real opponent since 2013. The guy was dwarfed by Nonito Donaire, but he's the crowning win of the best fighter in the sport when he's 37, not fought anyone in 4 years, and going up 2 weight classes. That's fucking insane. No one gets that kind of break.

I mean, we had a guy in Rigo's camp who was telling us about Rigo coming down 30-40 pounds just to get the fight. Rigondeaux was an incredible talent who was mostly outsized at 122. He's going to be fighting, at the age of at least 40, at 118, in all likelihood. Incredibly talented fighter at his best, but the guy hadn't fought a real opponent since 2013. The guy was dwarfed by Nonito Donaire, but he's the crowning win of the best fighter in the sport when he's 37, not fought anyone in 4 years, and going up 2 weight classes. That's fucking insane. No one gets that kind of break.
Rigo wasn't overweight leading up to the Loma fight. Actual footage of him exists (which I previously posted and am reposting) only a month before it broke that the fight was being planned and had a date. It isn't older footage, either. Notice the guy he's with points to the camera and addresses Lomachenko at the end of the video.

Back