Should we assume Canelo beats whoever he is scheduled to fight.

Seems like his team has like a magic crystal ball that they know canelo will win.

I remember before the Ward fight, I would never pick Canelo over Kovalev.

But canelos team seems to smell blood on a fighters career.

Everyone wants to see Ward vs Canelo. Personally i think Ward wins...

But of Canelo agrees to fight him, I can't help but feel like Canelo wins

Doubt Ward comes back. The fight makes no sense for him anyway. Beating the smaller Canelo isn’t going to elevate him to some other echelon. And Ward would beat him in an ugly and/or boring fight that would once again leave non fans of his unimpressed

Mayweather had this level of hate too. Canelo the best in the business right now. Lomo needs to fight some big names but cant.Canelo vs Andre Ward would of happened if Canelo arrived a bit earlier on the scene

Look, this is the problem, and I have been pretty vocal about this even before GGG 2, and the Kovalev fights. The problem is not any single one scorecard, we all know how awful CJ Ross is, how awful Adelaide Byrd has been etc. This does not only happen to Canelo, it happens to everyone. But while it does, we can not just look at any single one fight, and because you can justify that outcome, it means that everything is fine and dandy. We need to look at the big picture.

Let me preface by saying that I have been around the early days of online poker and sportsbetting and advantage gambling. But whenever a big scandal is uncovered, i.e. the basketball point shading incident, bets that make sites limit sharps, ultimatebet/potripper scandal, botting in poker, and now the Postle cheating incident, etc. what the ultimate evidence ends up being is how far this behavior deviates from the norm. You analyze the data and see how much of an outlier each case is and whether it's within the realm of statistically probable when gathered together. Of course the logistics behind these processes and how they work can get pretty complicated, but this is how it is in a nutshell. It's not any isolated incident that proves anything, but the accumulation of all of them.

It's the same with Canelo, it's not any individual scorecard/fight that indicates anything shady, but it's all of the instances grouped together where the behavior deviates substantially imo. And it hasn't even been that many yet, but ever since GGG 1, it has happened twice more with GGG 2 and Kovalev. That's 3 dubious scores in 5 fights! Sure, you can pretend the scorecards didn't matter in the last one but of course they matter to anyone with half a brain, because you can extrapolate and see where this pattern is headed. Was there anything wrong with these scores in isolation? No not really, Canelo 6-4 ivs. Kovalev is a bit iffy but a case can be made for it; a MD over GGG is probably a fine score too given that it was such a close fight. But you can notice there is a trend here, a trend to give Canelo close rounds. If he fights aggressive and throws and misses more while getting countered more effectively, he wins a SD vs. Lara, but if he fights more akin to Lara vs. Kovalev, where he counters more accurately but has significantly less volume he also would win. Dave Moretti was scoring in both fights and he had Canelo ahead in each!

People know it's true that there is a Canelo bias, even the extreme fanboys will likely admit that. I have been alluding to this on the forums for a long time too, even before the GGG fights. Of course, it's still early and the sample size is pretty small, but you can all see where it is heading, especially with the direction DAZN seems to be going in.

My point is just how hard it is for anyone going forward to beat Canelo given how much he must outclass him to win the decision. It's something that will be nearly impossible given how good Canelo is. I just hate this blatant favoritism, and I actually like Canelo as a boxer. But now it's getting to be so egregious that it's disgusting, especially with the network backing. It's just going to keep happening and everyone is going to sing the same tune "it's a close fight so Canelo gets it" as it happens over and over again, and that just seems crazy to me.
Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

Mayweather had this level of hate too. Canelo the best in the business right now. Lomo needs to fight some big names but cant.Canelo vs Andre Ward would of happened if Canelo arrived a bit earlier on the scene
I don't think this is about Canelo being hated. I certainly don't hate him and love watching him fight, the man is a master BUT I notice he gets favourable decisions. Are we not allowed to point that out? It's the elephant in the room. Personally I was so glad he knocked Kovalev out.

I don't think this is about Canelo being hated. I certainly don't hate him and love watching him fight, the man is a master BUT I notice he gets favourable decisions. Are we not allowed to point that out? It's the elephant in the room. Personally I was so glad he knocked Kovalev out.
Its the pervasive opinion of him in the outside world. The like it or lump it crowd arent really doing him any favours.

As for the Kovalev bout, in hindsight, Canelo employed Floyd's Mcgregor blueprint. Pressure the bigger, stronger guy, throwing sparingly until he fades, then KO him. Although it makes for a pretty dull fight, its a proven winning strategy.

Its the pervasive opinion of him in the outside world. The like it or lump it crowd arent really doing him any favours.

As for the Kovalev bout, in hindsight, Canelo employed Floyd's Mcgregor blueprint. Pressure the bigger, stronger guy, throwing sparingly until he fades, then KO him. Although it makes for a pretty dull fight, its a proven winning strategy.
Yeah I've never been one just to respect authority without questioning it or think that just because something is official that it's automatically correct so I find it surprising when I see intelligent people just towing the official line without question.

Yeah Canelo had a good strategy. He knew that Kov's stamina would fail later in the fight if he pressured him enough. It wasn't much of a spectacle but I was pleased with the final result and the way it ended, no question marks with this one.

Mayweather had this level of hate too. Canelo the best in the business right now.
Honestly, I think Canelo has surpassed Mayweather in terms of fans being desperate to see him lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back