Should we assume Canelo beats whoever he is scheduled to fight.

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Seems like his team has like a magic crystal ball that they know canelo will win.

I remember before the Ward fight, I would never pick Canelo over Kovalev.

But canelos team seems to smell blood on a fighters career.

Everyone wants to see Ward vs Canelo. Personally i think Ward wins...

But of Canelo agrees to fight him, I can't help but feel like Canelo wins

Assuming victory prior to a particular fight is even booked now?

Nope, not I.

I doubt Ward is returning. He’s made his money and moved on to other things.

Given that any close round will be given to Canelo, it's almost impossible for him to lose any fight unless he takes someone that is much bigger than him and would actually hurt him and put him out. He will probably stay away from LHW (and even there only see Beterbiev capable of doing that) now but otherwise he pretty much can't lose because a) he is very competent and one of the best active boxers and b) he has one of the best chins.

So how exactly can Canelo lose? There is absolutely nobody in any of the divisions he will continue fighting in that can outclass him clearly, or beat him by such a wide margin that giving a Canelo decision would raise enough eyebrows anymore. Canelo is just automatically expected to get it.

I don't think people realize just how big of an edge getting the benefit of the doubt in most close rounds is. Hell, DAZN even promotes their Canelo bias via the commentators nowadays and nobody cares much. And why wouldn't they do their best to protect their most important asset given their investment and current situation..

So I personally expect Canelo to continue winning for a very long time, with a few "close" decisions here and there where he was never in any danger of losing really, and the droolers on the forum going like "well yeah it could've gone either way" after Canelo wins his 7-8th contested decision vs. someone competent. Since let's face it's, he does not shy away from competition, that's for sure. And why would he?

Given that any close round will be given to Canelo, it's almost impossible for him to lose any fight unless he takes someone that is much bigger than him and would actually hurt him and put him out. He will probably stay away from LHW (and even there only see Beterbiev capable of doing that) now but otherwise he pretty much can't lose because a) he is very competent and one of the best active boxers and b) he has one of the best chins.

So how exactly can Canelo lose? There is absolutely nobody in any of the divisions he will continue fighting in that can outclass him clearly, or beat him by such a wide margin that giving a Canelo decision would raise enough eyebrows anymore. Canelo is just automatically expected to get it.

I don't think people realize just how big of an edge getting the benefit of the doubt in most close rounds is. Hell, DAZN even promotes their Canelo bias via the commentators nowadays and nobody cares much. And why wouldn't they do their best to protect their most important asset given their investment and current situation..

So I personally expect Canelo to continue winning for a very long time, with a few "close" decisions here and there where he was never in any danger of losing really, and the droolers on the forum going like "well yeah it could've gone either way" after Canelo wins his 7-8th contested decision vs. someone competent. Since let's face it's, he does not shy away from competition, that's for sure. And why would he?
Those DAZN scorecards by Chris whatshisface were pathetic. I can only assume he was watching the whole fight ring side and so he had a different perspective

As ineffective as pitter-patter jabs through gloves are, it is more than doing absolutely nothing and then missing some counter punches. I can only assume he thought Canelo landed every one of his big hooks he threw early on to give Canelo so many early rounds.

Yeah, ridiculous how he just "magically" KO'd Kovalev.

Shit wasn't fair. Reminds me of Pac's witch doctor mother cursing Tim Bradley.

Assuming victory prior to a particular fight is even booked now?

Nope, not I.
But what about that scorecard that time that you didn't agree with? This sport is obviously corrupt.

But what about that scorecard that time that you didn't agree with? This sport is obviously corrupt.
Only you think that there is no corruption in this sport and that Canelo never gets favourable decisions. Remember when CJ Ross had Mayweather vs Canelo a draw at 114 a piece? Nothing wrong with that score, close fight. Or what about when Adelaide Byrd scored it 118-110 for Canelo vs GGG? Nothing fishy about that score card at all.

Only you think that there is no corruption in this sport and that Canelo never gets favourable decisions. Remember when CJ Ross had Mayweather vs Canelo a draw at 114 a piece? Nothing wrong with that score, close fight. Or what about when Adelaide Byrd scored it 118-110 for Canelo vs GGG? Nothing fishy about that score card at all.
You act like no judge has ever done a shitty job scoring a fight prior to Canelo being a thing.

Unless it's a KO then yes. Just dont think anyone in MW can KO Canelo as GGG is past his prime. Canelo chin is very under rated.

Just dont like it when him or any fighter gets the JCC treatment from the judges.

You make it sound like a network favouring their cash cow in the commentary is some novel thing. It's far and away the norm, not some weird exception. Money fighters do tend to get more favourable scorecards. That's been the norm in boxing for a long time.

As it stands, Canelo actually has lost a fight by decision (the only decision he's gone to where he was very clearly beaten). He has gotten the benefit of the doubt in several other very close fights (Trout, Lara, Golovkin 2) and gotten a draw in another genuinely close fight (Golovkin 1). Most expect him to get the benefit of the doubt in closer fights, seeing as he is the biggest moneymaker in boxing, and I don't necessarily think that's wrong to assume, but having the view where his oppnents more or less can't win on the cards is ridiculous at this point. When he wins a decision that he clearly lost, this type of hyperbole might start to make sense, but until then, it's just that.

Last edited:
I don’t think Ward could make 175 anymore if he wanted to.

Prime Ward makes easy work of Canelo

But he probably loses now

Ward would probably fight Canelo super dirty. Headbutts galore. Low blows. God knows what else. He’d probably try and get away with as much as he can. I’d be rooting for Canelo all the way. I know I sound like a hater lol. I’ll admit I’m a little bitter. It’s mainly because of the Mikkel Kessler fight

Are people talking about a Ward? I mentioned it in the other thread as a hypothetical, with the angle of both stopping Kovalev and lamenting the style match up. I'd love to see it, but I didn't read anything else out there talking about Ward/Canelo.

For the record, if a potential match did occur I would pick Ward UD.

Are people talking about a Ward? I mentioned it in the other thread as a hypothetical, with the angle of both stopping Kovalev and lamenting the style match up. I'd love to see it, but I didn't read anything else out there talking about Ward/Canelo.

For the record, if a potential match did occur I would pick Ward UD.
It came up a couple months ago and has popped up here and there ever since....

As at least 1 other poster pointed out though, Andre isn't as big of a name as some may think and the risk/reward of losing to a retired guy isn't really worth it. But if i was Canelo, I'd try to take Ward's 0 than fight a no namer who's more dangerous such as Smith at 168.

Canelo might just be at a point where mega fights are the only thing he's able to get off on....which would potentially open up the door for a fight with Andre

Andre being a Top Rank shill probably doesn't help though

Yeah, ridiculous how he just "magically" KO'd Kovalev.

Shit wasn't fair. Reminds me of Pac's witch doctor mother cursing Tim Bradley.

I know youre saying this ironically. But i agree with it literally

I know youre saying this ironically. But i agree with it literally
There was nothing magical or farcical about that.

Kovalev was pussy footing and got put out.

Back