Sean Strickland vs. Robert Whittaker - Who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both never fought each other. This could be a fight worth matching up to see who gets the title shot.

Who takes this in your opinion?

Love to see what the numbers will be like.

sean-strickland-robert-whittaker.jpg

As one of the like 10 people who picked SS to beat Izzy

I think Bobby knucks has a different tool set.
He has power and throws to hurt, but does it with extremely good technique
similar to poatan in the power regard, just hits/hurts a bit different

I would favor Bobby likely by finish
But not shocked if SS by dec with defense and straights
the guy is really fucking good with the basics

Hmm.. I don't know I keep flip flopping.

I could see Whittaker starting strong and winning a couple rounds but as he starts to slow and take damage Strickland takes over and wins a UD.

It would not be a fun fight to watch IMO unfortunately - Strickland's style makes for shit fights for as much as he likes to talk.

Honestly think Whittaker would be a tougher fight for Sean than Izzy or DDP. Comes down to whether Whittaker can do something against the constant teep kicks coming his way. Landing clean on Sean isn't happening unless you're poatan.

Both never fought each other. This could be a fight worth matching up to see who gets the title shot.

Who takes this in your opinion?

Love to see what the numbers will be like.

sean-strickland-robert-whittaker.jpg
Had me on skates until I quit over thinking it. I chose SS. i wish both could win though.

As one of the like 10 people who picked SS to beat Izzy

I think Bobby knucks has a different tool set.
He has power and throws to hurt, but does it with extremely good technique
similar to poatan in the power regard, just hits/hurts a bit different

I would favor Bobby likely by finish
But not shocked if SS by dec with defense and straights
the guy is really fucking good with the basics
Whittaker has one finish in the 6 years, yet you'd favour him to win with a finish?

He's fought lesser fighters like Till, gastelum and cannonier with a broken arm and didn't get a finish.

Whittaker can win but i think expecting a finish is outragous.

I think Whittaker's style is a bad one for Sean, Bobby has no issues fighting on the backfoot and Sean always goes forward, Bobby also has cardio for days so unlikely to be much of an issue with the pressure style of Sean, I can see Knucks just sticking and moving all fight long and with the lack of power Sean brings he won't present much danger there.

Whittaker by UD.

Not sure who takes it tbh.

It would likely be a chess match, as both guys have some of the best MMA boxing.

I think Whittaker is more offensive, so unless Sean catches him clean, Reaper might take it on points. But I could see this being a pick em.

I'm pretty confident Whittaker takes that one, at least if it happens soon. Strickland will take more punishment standing against Rob than against Israel. Pretty sure of that (although I'll have to be honest and say that I expected Izzy to beat him, but that's another story...).

Sean is one of those fighters that I don't think is the best fighter in his division, but somehow got the belt. To his credit, he did it fair and square by beating the champ, but I think he loses to the other top guys in the division.

That's a tough one to pick at this point, really.

Stickland is much taller, and Whittaker's losses in recent years have all come at the hands of guys that were much taller than him.

However, Strickland won't outcardio Whittaker, and Whittaker definitely has the edge in terms of sheer power. I would expect Strickland to be walking forward and pressuring his opponent in this fight, and with the reach advantage, I kind of think he'd nullify Whittaker's game.

But my heart would be with Rob, and I sure as all fucking hell would hope he wins.

Sean is one of those fighters that I don't think is the best fighter in his division, but somehow got the belt. To his credit, he did it fair and square by beating the champ, but I think he loses to the other top guys in the division.
Call me crazy, but he's like a modern-day Forrest Griffin.

An overachiever in the sport, whose personality almost draws more attention and crowd affection than his actual fighting skills. Not the guy with the most power, but manages to get the job done on a consistent basis. Beat an established champ but lost the belt in his next fight.

Whittaker has one finish in the 6 years, yet you'd favour him to win with a finish?

He's fought lesser fighters like Till, gastelum and cannonier with a broken arm and didn't get a finish.

Whittaker can win but i think expecting a finish is outragous.
I dont think its outrageous* at all
Bobby is accurate and not afraid to throw
SS thrives when he is the one constantly pressuring. He has the persona of wanting to bang it out. but he doesnt want to be hit.
I think Bobby finds SS often and early
and SS is too game to back down, will go out on his shield

call it what ever you want. Its just like my opinion , man

I think a karate stance would be advantageous against Strickland. Won’t be a big target for teep kicks and can’t be pressured backwards as easily. I could see either guy getting it done but if Bobby’s reflexes are on point, he’s going to out point Sean. The longer it goes in a 5R fight, the more I’d favour Sean for his economy and pacing whereas Bobby might tire from all that bouncing and lunging and feinting.

Last edited:
Back