Media Sandhaegen Shares Thoughts on the Fight

He gave his back far to much when standing in the grappling exchanges
I mean, who fucking cares? Did TJ do anything when gifted a free back? No he didn't. What about TJ giving up his face all those times Cory punched and kneed him? Maybe if TJ actually did something when taken Cory's back then you guys would have a point, but he never did.

I mean, who fucking cares? Did TJ do anything when gifted a free back? No he didn't. What about TJ giving up his face all those times Cory punched and kneed him? Maybe if TJ actually did something when taken Cory's back then you guys would have a point, but he never did.

TJ held dominant position while kneeing sandhagen in the ass, so yes, he did something. If you don't believe me, ask you friend to knee you in the ass repetitively.

if they rematch i dont think sandman will do any better. this was his best chance. tj had compromised knee from round 1 and the cut which was bothering him whole fight and sandhagen failed to capitalize on any of these.

healthy tj wins easy
Yeah and healthy Conor beats Dustin too

Before I’m mistaken, the point of this post is that the opponent caused the damage so it’s dumb as fuck to say ‘fighter A wins if he’s healthy’

Razor thin decision. Upon a rewatch I can't really say who should have won. I'm not a TJ fan but he fought a very close fight.

We just disagree. Control time doesn't mean much if it's not gassing out Cory, or damaging Cory. I thought this was a fight?

And strikes aren't really significant if they don't even slow down your opponents "hug" offense.
It is a fight, not a track meet. Imagine the entertainment value if they were both back pedaling the majority of the race.

control is part of the scoring criteria and we aren't talking about a min or two here.

TJ had control of him for ~1/3 (8 mins) of 25 min fight

this isn't MMA specific. high level wrestling and bjj matches are commonly won by scoring advantages by control

Dude got robbed, it's bad enough in a normal fight, but in a title eliminator, it's super disappointing for the sport.

Sandhagen with the spot-on analysis. Seems to be taking this well, he's always seemed level headed.

I have a feeling TJ retires after his next fight.
Wwwwhat? TJ is an extremelyyy competitive athlete. He already has side businesses that make him money and are already well established. Fighting is his life and TJ will be around for another couple years I would imagine.

Great, not even gonna bother with this response

I don´t like TJ, but Cory lack of hearth and killer instint in the final rounds was disgusting to see.

as far as who i thought won the fight, it was sandhaegen- but it was close enough that it cant really be argued definitively- disappointing though

Yeah Cory didn’t push himself he didn’t deserve the win there imo and saying tj did no damage is stupid too

Damage should outweigh control (especially when nothing is done with it).

My main issue with this fight isn't that TJ won (I figured it could go either way) but that the judges are so inconsistent. Sal D'Amato especially needs to go. He was shocking all night.

And strikes aren't really significant if they don't even slow down your opponents "hug" offense.
It is a fight, not a track meet. Imagine the entertainment value if they were both back pedaling the majority of the race.
Yeah it's a fight, and hugging for long periods is sort of avoiding the fight.
I saw Sandhagan landing effective strikes while moving backwards and circling. When you have the height and reach "advantage", you usually don't want to fight in a phone booth.

Cory's problem was backing up I'm a straight line which allowed TJ to come forward and give him a nice big friendly hug each round.

I don't know. If I was in a street fight and I ended up getting way more damaged then my opponent I'd assume I lost the fight.

Damage should outweigh control (especially when nothing is done with it).

My main issue with this fight isn't that TJ won (I figured it could go either way) but that the judges are so inconsistent. Sal D'Amato especially needs to go. He was shocking all night.
Cleary got the scores right.
I don't have a huge issue with TJ winning but I would go based on damage.
Queensberry style scoring in MMA sucks. UFC was originally No Holes Barred and only finishes and damage really counted.

Yeah it's a fight, and hugging for long periods is sort of avoiding the fight.
I saw Sandhagan landing effective strikes while moving backwards and circling. When you have the height and reach "advantage", you usually don't want to fight in a phone booth.

Cory's problem was backing up I'm a straight line which allowed TJ to come forward and give him a nice big friendly hug each round.

I don't know. If I was in a street fight and I ended up getting way more damaged then my opponent I'd assume I lost the fight.

If it would have been in the streets there would not have been a fight. Sandhagen has way more foot speed and would not get caught. TJ would be perceived as the winner, and CS would be the pussy who ran away.

It is difficult to overcome the perception of constant retreat in a scored combat contest.
Allowing the guy to catch you and repeatedly rub his pelvic region on your backside makes it damn near impossible.

Last edited:
Back