Media Sandhaegen Shares Thoughts on the Fight

Corys gameplan was obviously to stick and move while defending TJ's takedowns. Alot of people giving Cory shit because he was on the retreat most of the fight but what was he supposed to do? TJ has a history of getting caught with counters and he's the last dude you want to get in a firefight with.

Corys gameplan was obviously to stick and move while defending TJ's takedowns. Alot of people giving Cory shit because he was on the retreat most of the fight but what was he supposed to do? TJ has a history of getting caught with counters and he's the last dude you want to get in a firefight with.
There is sticking and moving, and then there is letting the round (and fight) slip away from you.

Machida v Rampage rounds 1 and 2. Machida was slippery as fuck right into a loss, regardless of how strongly he fought round 3.

Souza v Romero round 2. Neither did shit. Romero was lucky Souza didn’t steal that round with something - anything - and steal the fight after that ass beating in round 1.

Whochever fight that was where Hendricks said he coaster round 5. Was that GSP? 65% or some such thing?

That’s the lesson that should be drawn here, not “judges suck”. Looks like Sandhagen may have learned it even if many fans don’t.

Props to him for this post.

It was maddening watching Cory not take much damage, not do too much offense, and let rounds be so close (and in hindsite, lose them and the fight).

(Edit: I’m not debating you btw, I’m segue’ing off your comments and adding to them.)

Last edited:
I gave him round 1 and 5. Those rounds are where the damage was enough to outweigh the position/octagon control by TJ.

Fair assessment. Cory could've taken 4 and 5 clearly if he would've kept the pressure on, but I think he was too worried about the wrestling threat.

if they rematch i dont think sandman will do any better. this was his best chance. tj had compromised knee from round 1 and the cut which was bothering him whole fight and sandhagen failed to capitalize on any of these.

healthy tj wins easy

if they rematch i dont think sandman will do any better. this was his best chance. tj had compromised knee from round 1 and the cut which was bothering him whole fight and sandhagen failed to capitalize on any of these.

healthy tj wins easy
I have a feeling TJ retires after his next fight.

Very level - headed reaction/thoughts, and not the knee-jerk one we've been giving lately (my dirty self included). Still got a bright future. Solid contender for years to come.

I have a feeling TJ retires after his next fight.
how come? he just lost 2 years of income and ruined his legacy in the process. if he captures the belt he should at least try to defend it couple of times before retiring. this way he would leave less sour taste after all the fiasco.

unless he fails to get the strap i dont see him retiring so soon

nice attitude hes not crying over spilt milk. sucks he got jobbed on the score cards tho. horrible call imo. fight mostly took place on the feet. minimal grappling and it was all negated after the first. Cory clearly won on the feet. its not like tj racked up some great control time, he tryed to, but it just didnt happen

It's also up to us how we like to score peddling backwards at max speed for half an hour. Running away and throwing jabs only when they can reach you is no dominating a fight. TJ deserved to win. He showed that nothing sandhagen did was serious enough to back him up. And Cory took plenty of shots. When he was cranking that knee TJ was landing some vicious GNP. He's gonna end up a Kape fighter. Do as little as possible then throw your hands up in disbelief

Back