Social Rashida Tlaib to be sworn in to Congress with a Quran

Thanks for that Doctor Peterson
I don't even know what that means. I think there is a talking head of some kind named Peterson. Never listened.

If she lost to a Christian opponent who would predictably swear in on the Bible we wouldn't be having this conversation, you'd seemingly be perfectly at peace with it. Its only when a Muslim asks for the same courtesy afforded to Christians that suddenly you seem to care about religious symbolism during government beauty pageants.

Swearing on the Bible wouldn't make the news. This did and now there's a thread. That's why he's discussing it. If someone posted a thread on eliminating all religious texts from the swearing in ceremony he seems clearly in favor of it.

Fair enough.

You're probably right. My disdain for Islam leaves me with blind spots that other religions get to hide in. Point taken.

Am I wrong in my response above?

This line of thinking doesn't get past the first two sentences of America. You might say that the United States is non-sectarian organization, but hardly a secular one.

What's the difference as it pertains to politics? What's more representative of government in the US, the non-binding quotes you provided or the First Amendment?

This site uses America as an example of a secular state.

http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-secular-and-sectarian

When you have congressmen/women swearing in on a Koran, this is not a good sign for America.

So what, when Obama wins his third term, he will be sworn in on the Quran which will be held by a Nephilum.

Swearing on the Bible wouldn't make the news. This did and now there's a thread. That's why he's discussing it. If someone posted a thread on eliminating all religious texts from the swearing in ceremony he seems clearly in favor of it.
He called it a step backwards which implies that allowing the use of the Qur'an in these ceremonies is even worse than tolerating the Bible and even he admitted that he's biased against Islam.

He called it a step backwards which implies that allowing the use of the Qur'an in these ceremonies is even worse than tolerating the Bible and even he admitted that he's biased against Islam.

Sure. I'm more looking at the greater context of his words. Pretty sure he said he'd remove it all if given the choice. In that regard, having more religious texts creeping into the process can be viewed as a step in the wrong direction.

Sure. I'm more looking at the greater context of his words. Pretty sure he said he'd remove it all if given the choice. In that regard, having more religious texts creeping into the process can be viewed as a step in the wrong direction.
So am I and as he himself admitted he's often more willing to scrutinize cases involving Islam despite the fact that Christianity is the bigger threat to secularism in the West.

Muhammadans in power is never a good thing. Part of their ideology is to spread the vile faith through any means necessary, be it war, demography, dishonest propaganda, everything goes. Hopefully she won't do too much damage to the Western way of life.
@Bald1 it's not a blind spot you have, it's a clear-sight spot. Don't let relativist sophists make you think otherwise.

So am I and as he himself admitted he's often more willing to scrutinize cases involving Islam despite the fact that Christianity is the bigger threat to secularism in the West.

You said this.

f she lost to a Christian opponent who would predictably swear in on the Bible we wouldn't be having this conversation, you'd seemingly be perfectly at peace with it. Its only when a Muslim asks for the same courtesy afforded to Christians that suddenly you seem to care about religious symbolism during government beauty pageants.

He said this.

...I just don't believe we should open the door to more rubbish we'll have to sweep out just because, well, fuck it, there's already garbage in here!

Now, before people of faith get their panties in a bunch, I'm not saying having faith is garbage. But I am saying religion mixed with government absolutely is.

Doesn't sound to me like he's "perfectly at peace" with the presence of the Christian Bible in government affairs.

I wonder if we're ready for an openly Atheist congressman, or do we already have one?

Freshly elected to the Senate, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema represents a slew of “firsts.” She will be Arizona’s first female senator. She was the first openly bisexual person elected to Congress and carries that first with her to the Senate. She was the first person sent to Congress to claim no religion. After winning her congressional seat in 2012, she was sworn in on the Constitution, forgoing the Bible chosen by Christians — the dominant religion for members of Congress, especially those from Arizona.

Kyrsten-Sinema-Flip-Arizona-Senate-Seat.jpg

This line of thinking doesn't get past the first two sentences of America. You might say that the United States is non-sectarian organization, but hardly a secular one.

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Like it or not, theism is written into the very justification of America as a political entity. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, but that's the way it is. Folks should either accept it or endeavor to change it, imo.

This is interesting, there is no mention of god in the Constitution but yet it's found here in the Deceleration Of Independence. My only guess can be that the different purpose of each document. The DoI is an apology or justification for a rebellion to secure "God Given" rights where the Constitution is a blueprint for stable and effective democratic Republic. The Founding Fathers may have believed we were endowed with natural or God-Given rights but it's obvious their intent was to have a secular form of government.

Nevermind. They are the foundation of modern law, at a minimum. They do give people a sense of meaning, but nevermind.

Totally disagree. The ten commandents basically takes the most common sense aspects of what is not appropriate behavior in a society and acts like they invented it. No, those ideas people had been living by loooong before the Bible, and punishing those who didn’t follow them wasn’t a new idea. But we are derailing the thread here.

Freshly elected to the Senate, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema represents a slew of “firsts.” She will be Arizona’s first female senator. She was the first openly bisexual person elected to Congress and carries that first with her to the Senate. She was the first person sent to Congress to claim no religion. After winning her congressional seat in 2012, she was sworn in on the Constitution, forgoing the Bible chosen by Christians — the dominant religion for members of Congress, especially those from Arizona.

Kyrsten-Sinema-Flip-Arizona-Senate-Seat.jpg
Swearing an oath on the constitution actually seems like the most reasonable option.

Back