Social Rashida Tlaib to be sworn in to Congress with a Quran

This is a misnomer. I would say Trump is more apathetic to formalized, metaphysical religious morality in the conventional sense. Atheism, at least as I see it in the modern world, is formalizing arguments that any divinity doesn't exist; not completely ignoring the discussion entirely.

I get that, but I don't think we've ever had a more blatantly non-religious person as President in our history.

newgospel-of-the-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg
url

I can't wait for someone to swear in using this.

They want to remove religion from everything, yet still make a pledge over a religious book.

{<huh}

Quran, Bible. Both books full of nonsense so good for her for picking a different fairy tale to swear on...
Texts wrote by brilliant people that led to modern society, and law. I know far lefties worship pop-culture and the media, but the book of that would be embarrassing and useless. These books give wisdom and meaning to human life, even though they do not give concrete facts about the natural world. Think deeper.

Texts wrote by brilliant people that led to modern society, and law. I know far lefties worship pop-culture and the media, but the book of that would be embarrassing and useless. These books give wisdom and meaning to human life, even though they do not give concrete facts about the natural world. Think deeper.

They do none of the things you suggest.

Please prove they were brilliant people, please prove they give wisdom, and please prove how they give meaning to human life.

After that please explain people who have wisdom, brilliance and meaning that have never read a holy book. They are historical pieces of fiction which are actually the most despicable and disgusting books you could imagine. They are rubbish. Think deeper

This is a misnomer. I would say Trump is more apathetic to formalized, metaphysical religious morality in the conventional sense. Atheism, at least as I see it in the modern world, is formalizing arguments that any divinity doesn't exist; not completely ignoring the discussion entirely.

He has shamelessly weaponized a particular religious belief and has used it to his political advantage as he cobbled together his base, that goes well beyond honestly arguing that a divinity doesn't exist.

th
th
th
th

Hopefully she works towards irradicating pisslam from planet earth

Plato's Republic predates the Bible and contains much more wisdom. Why aren't we swearing in with that instead? Lol@"texts written by brilliant people". There is no brilliance in those books beyond what is simple common sense.

Tlaib has backed a one-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and has also opposed U.S. aid to Israel.

Also Defended Former CNN Commentator Marc Lamont Hill's Anti-Israel Comments.

z7zQiuQ.gif
She won't be the first or only anti-Semitite or racist in Congress. The only difference is that they are normally white men. See Steve King.

They do none of the things you suggest.

Please prove they were brilliant people, please prove they give wisdom, and please prove how they give meaning to human life.

After that please explain people who have wisdom, brilliance and meaning that have never read a holy book. They are historical pieces of fiction which are actually the most despicable and disgusting books you could imagine. They are rubbish. Think deeper

Nevermind. They are the foundation of modern law, at a minimum. They do give people a sense of meaning, but nevermind.

Plato's Republic predates the Bible and contains much more wisdom. Why aren't we swearing in with that instead? Lol@"texts written by brilliant people". There is no brilliance in those books beyond what is simple common sense.
Ok.

"When the members of the 113th Congress were sworn-in to office last week, each of them was swearing to uphold the U.S. Constitution—but there was great variation upon what authority they were swearing to do so by.

There is no requirement that members of Congress hold any text when they take their official oaths of office on the chamber floors or when they take a photo of the ceremonial oath afterward. However, many do—in fact, the Library of Congress provides a range of items to use: Protestant and Catholics bibles, Hindu texts, Buddhist verses, Qurans, and copies of the U.S. Constitution. Some members bring their own books and texts; some members hold nothing at all.

When taking an oath, you are promising to do something. The idea of using a text or book with your hand upon it indicates that you are invoking the authority of that text or book to show how seriously you take your oath.

So how do we judge the sincerity of members of Congress who use religious texts to promise to uphold the secular Constitution of the United States? Is this not the very definition of serving two masters and combining religion and government?

Each member of Congress has the right to his or her religious beliefs—it’s guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. In this 113th Congress, Tulsi Gabbard is the first Hindu elected to Congress. The Representative from Hawaii and Iraq war veteran used her copy of Bhagavad-Gita for her swearing-in, which she said contained words that had brought wisdom and taught her to be a servant-leader. Other members used the Torah, different versions of the Bible, and the Quran. How does the average American, who belongs to one religion or another—or who isn’t religious at all—appreciate and understand these elected officials’ commitment to their new positions when the officials choose to use a text or book whose authority cannot be measured against anyone else’s in Congress? How does one compare the authority of the Bible to the Bhagavad-Gita or the Torah to the Quran? If your member of Congress uses a religious text that you do not believe in, how do you know whether to believe in your elected official?

If members of Congress are going to use a text at all when they are sworn-in, they should all use the same text—the text that they are swearing to uphold. The text that is known to all Americans, that has only one translation, that is the foundation upon which all decisions the members should be making, and that is the recognized authority for our country, our government, and for all its citizens—the U.S. Constitution."

TLDR: You can swear in with any text you want, but we should standardize it for consistency. And the best document to use for that purpose is the Constitution. The Bible has no place in modern jurisprudence.

Back